Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 12:27:39 pm

Author Topic: ERA - question about the Aim  (Read 1609 times)  Share 

more_vanilla

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
ERA - question about the Aim
« on: June 14, 2014, 10:44:25 pm »
Hey, keeping this short and sweet.

In a prac report, beyond the basic aim of investigating the effect of the IV on the DV do I need to include a greater perspective of the implications of the study?

Using the serial position effect as an example, the fundamental aim could be: "to investigate the influence of the serial position effect on the free recall of..."

And a greater aim could be: "to investigate a strategy of retaining information in the short term, in order to help students 'cram' more effectively for exams"

So basically the greater aim would link the research conducted to a real life scenario instead of just investigating whether the current experiment is consistent with results from past studies.

My ERA write up is on Monday; It will be written in class, though we have the weekend to do some research.
Any advice/opinions/tips would be much appreciated. :))

Thank you
2014: Psychology, Accounting
2015: Methods, Further, EngLang, HHD, UMEP Accounting

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: ERA - question about the Aim
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 10:47:57 pm »
I did the same topic, and my greater aim was 'to provide further supporting evidence for the existence of a two-store model of memory'. That way you can talk about Atkinson-Shiffrin in a way that actually ties in with everything else, and you're doing important work for the scientific community ~lol~
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47
2014- English 47, French 47, Psychology 45, Revolutions 49 (99.90)

Offering tutoring in Global Politics, Psychology and History! PM or contact as per http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nunawading/language-tutoring/global-politics-vce-tutoring-melbourne/1065783700

more_vanilla

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 11:06:19 pm »

I did the same topic, and my greater aim was 'to provide further supporting evidence for the existence of a two-store model of memory'. That way you can talk about Atkinson-Shiffrin in a way that actually ties in with everything else, and you're doing important work for the scientific community ~lol~

Hi! Thanks for replying.

My post was just an example, my ERA is actually on sensitivity of measures of retention - recognition vs. recall. I don't think sensitivity of m..o..r.. provides support for any other theories LOL
2014: Psychology, Accounting
2015: Methods, Further, EngLang, HHD, UMEP Accounting

ellie7g

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 04:36:31 pm »
What was the operational hypothesis for this era on serial position effect?