Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 02:16:39 pm

Author Topic: Improving my understanding of Humoral and Cell Mediated Immunity  (Read 1075 times)  Share 

atar beta

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
 Hey guys,
I am refining my notes for exams so I am just wondering if these explanation are fine, since I had a rough time walking into the SAC without a strong understand of the immunities. Please criticize any mistakes I make so i can improve and fix it.

Humoral Immunity
1.   An pathogen is engulfed by an leukocyte (APC) and is broken down by the lysosomes. The APC presents the APC’s antigen on MHC-II markers
2.   APC travels to lymph nodes and locates a Th cell with the complementary TCR to antigen presented. Activates Th cell (does it activate Th? And activated to do what?)
3.   B cells somewhere in lymph node has been exposed by the same specific antigen. Engulfs antigen and presents it on MHC II marker
4.   B cells presents MHC-II markers to previously activated Th cells.
5.   Th cell secretes cytokines to B cell which activates B cell to proliferate and differentiate into plasma cells and memory B-cells
6.   Plasma secretes vast quantities of specific antibodies corresponding with antigen recognised by parent B-cell
7.   Memory B Cells lay dormant until are activated by second exposure to antigen which proliferates into plasma cells, releasing the antibodies specific to the parent B cell.

Cell mediated
1.   A cell infected by a virus/ cancer cell/ some bacteria/ transplant tissue presents antigen(?) on MHC 1 marker
2.   Tc cell binds to presented antigen, and with the help of cytokines from Th cells (why does this happen) causes Tc to be activated
3.   Tc cells proliferates and differentiate into active(?) Tc cells and memory Tc cells
4.   Active Tc cell recognises ‘specific’ infected/ cancerous/ foreign cells and secretes perforin which punches hole into cell membrane of target cell.

Is there another pathway that triggers cell mediated pathway?

Thanks for the help
Greatly appreciated

DBA-144

• MOTM: APR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +35
Re: Improving my understanding of Humoral and Cell Mediated Immunity
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 08:57:51 pm »
+2
Hey guys,
I am refining my notes for exams so I am just wondering if these explanation are fine, since I had a rough time walking into the SAC without a strong understand of the immunities. Please criticize any mistakes I make so i can improve and fix it.

Humoral Immunity
1.   An pathogen is engulfed by an leukocyte (APC) and is broken down by the lysosomes. The APC presents the APC’s antigen on MHC-II markers
2.   APC travels to lymph nodes and locates a Th cell with the complementary TCR to antigen presented. Activates Th cell (does it activate Th? And activated to do what?)
3.   B cells somewhere in lymph node has been exposed by the same specific antigen. Engulfs antigen and presents it on MHC II marker
4.   B cells presents MHC-II markers to previously activated Th cells.
5.   Th cell secretes cytokines to B cell which activates B cell to proliferate and differentiate into plasma cells and memory B-cells
6.   Plasma secretes vast quantities of specific antibodies corresponding with antigen recognised by parent B-cell
7.   Memory B Cells lay dormant until are activated by second exposure to antigen which proliferates into plasma cells, releasing the antibodies specific to the parent B cell.

Cell mediated
1.   A cell infected by a virus/ cancer cell/ some bacteria/ transplant tissue presents antigen(?) on MHC 1 marker
2.   Tc cell binds to presented antigen, and with the help of cytokines from Th cells (why does this happen) causes Tc to be activated
3.   Tc cells proliferates and differentiate into active(?) Tc cells and memory Tc cells
4.   Active Tc cell recognises ‘specific’ infected/ cancerous/ foreign cells and secretes perforin which punches hole into cell membrane of target cell.

Is there another pathway that triggers cell mediated pathway?

Thanks for the help
Greatly appreciated

It's not the APC's antigens that are presented, it's the antigens of the pathogen. Yes you can say that the Th cell is activated and that the Th cell will activate a T killer cell. 

Can just say a cell that presents non self antigen. The T helper cells need to tell the T killer cells to proliferate. Without the helper cells, this can't happen. I don't think that there is another pathway. Perhaps refer to the fact that the cell targetted by the killer cell dies/is killed.

Other than that, these descriptions are really good, from what I can see. Well done! :)
PM me for Methods (raw 46) and Chemistry (raw 48) resources (notes, practice SACs, etc.)

I also offer tutoring for these subjects, units 1-4 :)

atar beta

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 09:13:58 pm »
Oh my bad, i meant to say pathogen. Thanks for pointing that out.

Just a question. When a Th is activated in the humoral immunity, does it proliferate and differentiate, or it just gets 'activated' to secrete cytokines for the B cell

Yet again

Thanks for the help.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 11:56:21 am »
Oh my bad, i meant to say pathogen. Thanks for pointing that out.

Just a question. When a Th is activated in the humoral immunity, does it proliferate and differentiate, or it just gets 'activated' to secrete cytokines for the B cell

Yet again

Thanks for the help.
It proliferates and differentiates too
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra