Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 06, 2024, 05:46:27 pm

Author Topic: What are your Pre-Exam Rituals?  (Read 13267 times)  Share 

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: What are your Pre-Exam Rituals?
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2016, 10:25:15 am »
Sweeping call Rui! I went to a Catholic school but I wouldn't say the system is better :)
Oh whoops my bad! I meant in general, not always

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2016, 06:08:31 pm »
Oh whoops my bad! I meant in general, not always

I know for a fact facilities at catholic schools (or private schools in general) are better than public schools. What about teachers (especially english teachers)? Are they much better and more dedicated than ones at public schools?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2016, 07:02:58 pm »
It's mostly facilities yeah.

Teachers? Not necessarily.
Also the teachers at my school are not applicable for random open discussion.

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2016, 07:12:23 pm »
It's mostly facilities yeah.

Teachers? Not necessarily.
Also the teachers at my school are not applicable for random open discussion.

I believe school uniform as well. WHat do you mean by "teachers at my school are not applical for random open discussion"?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2016, 11:50:56 pm »
I'm very envious of a lot of state schools as opposed to my Catholic High school actually! The diversity of extra curricular activities is mainly the biggest reason I feel this way! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2016, 10:52:15 am »
I'm very envious of a lot of state schools as opposed to my Catholic High school actually! The diversity of extra curricular activities is mainly the biggest reason I feel this way! :)

Do you think the education system is better at private schools or better at public schools (talking about top 100)?

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2016, 10:55:45 am »
Do you think the education system is better at private schools or better at public schools (talking about top 100)?

As a general rule, schools who are able to pay their teachers more will attract better teachers. This absolutely isn't always true, and there are countless incredible teachers working at public schools who could move to private schools, but prefer working in the public sector. However, good teachers can make a big difference (not necessarily to the single student who is going to try freakin' hard regardless, but to the cohort as a whole). This is a really unfortunate byproduct of the private/public distinction; teachers, who may PREFER teaching to a wider group of students who are receiving education for a much lower price, often move to the private sector because the pay differential is often quite substantial.
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2016, 10:59:46 am »
As a general rule, schools who are able to pay their teachers more will attract better teachers. This absolutely isn't always true, and there are countless incredible teachers working at public schools who could move to private schools, but prefer working in the public sector. However, good teachers can make a big difference (not necessarily to the single student who is going to try freakin' hard regardless, but to the cohort as a whole). This is a really unfortunate byproduct of the private/public distinction; teachers, who may PREFER teaching to a wider group of students who are receiving education for a much lower price, often move to the private sector because the pay differential is often quite substantial.

Yeah true, thing is are there really any bad teachers who work in private schools?

I know for a fact even top selective schools have bad teachers. I personally think that teachers who work at selective schools should get paid more

I don't know whether or not the department of education (i.e. if you go to a public school) takes into account a teachers teaching ability and their dedication to their students

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2016, 11:01:19 am »
Yeah true, thing is are there really any bad teachers who work in private schools?

I know for a fact even top selective schools have bad teachers. I personally think that teachers who work at selective schools should get paid more

I don't know whether or not the department of education (i.e. if you go to a public school) takes into account a teachers teaching ability and their dedication to their students
Yeah. I didn't approve of every single teacher at my school.

But one thing to note is that there's always a case that's flawed. It might be a rare occurrence but hardly does it never happen.
Oh really?

Hmm, from memory we were offered Duke of Ed, had an annual college concert and also still your typical school-wide and state-representative sports competitions
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 11:03:25 am by RuiAce »

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2016, 11:10:36 am »

I agree with Jake and also Rui here, there are DEFINITELY less than awesome teachers at private schools. There's always going to be exceptions to any of the blanket statements that are put onto schools in terms of private vs. catholic vs. public etc.
At schools where you pay a substantial amount of money to attend there's often more resources and an emphasis on "getting your money's worth" which may create the perception that the teachers are superb and get better results, but I think there's also heaps of other factors that determine a school's quality.
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2016, 01:15:00 pm »
Yeah. I didn't approve of every single teacher at my school.

But one thing to note is that there's always a case that's flawed. It might be a rare occurrence but hardly does it never happen.Oh really?

Hmm, from memory we were offered Duke of Ed, had an annual college concert and also still your typical school-wide and state-representative sports competitions

My school never had this (I go to a public school by the way). We have a talent quest (which is really lame) and literally not many people show interest in it

My school only has some state wide competitions, has crap facilities, like they don't bother to paint over or fix up old broken things and uniform is so expensive, like for a public school why would it be so expensive? They have a second hand store though for all the old donated uniform from ex-students which costs less than $10 per piece. The principal gets really mad if you don't wear uniform but if you have financial issues he can understand and he'll speak to you

Anyways what are facilities like at your school? Also how does the deputy principal/principal react to students not wearing uniform?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2016, 03:57:30 pm »
+2
I have a great interest in politics, current affairs, gender, race, sex and sexuality, etc, etc. And being in a Catholic school, a lot of this was restricted in the extra-curricular. We could only contribute to Catholic charities (as directed by the CEO of Parramatta), our inter-school debating topics had to comply with Gospel values, (which meant that when we had the debate topic "technology will be our downfall" - arguing about IVF being a positive advance was a complete no no), and there were some Legal Studies concepts that I had to research myself. I know these are all small things, but for someone incredibly interested in world affairs and modern advance, I would have loved to see more diversity. My geographic location comes into this a lot as well.

My school was great, I had great teachers, I took up every opportunity I could. But, I did an assignment at Burwood Girls High School for Uni earlier this year and it was a school after my own heart. Posters about Gonski funding everywhere - charity events for FGM survivors, etc, etc.

So that's what I kind of mean about the "extra-curricular" stuff. I wish it was a more secular approach to learning so that I could have adapted a lot more worldly stuff to my learning, rather than more Catholic stuff. I'm saying this from the perspective of someone who became increasingly less Catholic through High School as well. My geographical position, being in Sydney's far west, definitely impacted on the way I received education as well. Like I said, I was so fortunate to receive awesome education. But if you asked me to be critical, I'd prefer secular education for High School, because it is more suited to me.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

kb123

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2016, 01:34:31 pm »
+2
What I do before an exam:

Day before: Skim over the types of questions and review notes for around an hour. Then I stop, do something relaxing such as watching a movie or reading. At this point, you should know everything that could be in the exam you are doing inside out :)

The Day (could be done earlier on too): If you can, talk to a friend about the topics your are going to be tested on, maybe swap notes in case you both have information the other doesn't. This actually helped me in many situations when I just forgot to mention simple points in my notes that would later be in the test (but because I looked at my friend's notes, I remembered the answer :) )

Most of all: STAY CALM. Don't fret crazily over the exam. You should feel confident. This feeling would come naturally if you studied the topics on the test thoroughly and have done heaps of practice papers. Remember to check your answer, make sure it actually makes sense and you didn't make a stupid mistake.

Talking about stupid mistakes, the most stupid mistakes I have ever made during high school was arranging numbers in ascending order incorrectly in year 7 or 8 maths (it was the only freaking mark I lost in the whole test!) and forgetting to write the C in 4 degrees celcius....

Katya :)

christopherk8

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: olol
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2016, 11:37:50 am »
+1
honestly, my method during trials was to sleep early and hope for the best because no matter how much more i studied it wouldnt sink in anymore than it already had

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2016, 11:48:46 am »
honestly, my method during trials was to sleep early and hope for the best because no matter how much more i studied it wouldnt sink in anymore than it already had

Ha love that!  8) A decent sleep is so so so important, and hoping for the best isn't a bad idea either  ;)
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle