Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 23, 2024, 12:10:27 am

Author Topic: Doing Units 3/4 without 1/2  (Read 3200 times)  Share 

SnekiSnek

• Trendsetter
  • Knowledge gremlin - coming for your neurons
  • Respect: +26
Doing Units 3/4 without 1/2
« on: June 08, 2021, 11:42:03 am »
Hey all,

Because of the way that I've completed subjects, my school will most likely make me pick up an additional subject next year just so that I'm at school for the required amount of time. Both my brothers did physics and well absolutely hated it however life will feel boring without a math-like subject next year and I guess physics would be my best bet for this.

I'm wondering how hard it would be, or how much content I would have to cram, to be able to do Units 3/4 without 1/2? My brothers said that 1/2 was a bludge subject and that 3/4 was were the real subject started but I'm wondering about the accuracy of that statement. And y'all seem like the best people to ask  :)
Literature, Methods, Further, Chemistry, Legal Studies, Psychology, Classical Studies, Physics

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
Re: Doing Units 3/4 without 1/2
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 12:37:52 pm »
+5
Hey SnekiSnek!  ;D

I do agree quite a bit with the fact that Unit 3/4 is where the subject really gets interesting, however, there is some assumed knowledge that you will need to know to catch up.

If you look at Unit 2, you will need to understand basic electricity such as adding resistors in different circuits and getting familiar with concepts such as finding current, power and voltage (This comes in handy for Unit 3 AOS 2 Electromagnetic Induction).

You will also need to catch up on everything motion-based. Some topics that I would definitely recommend to study before moving into Unit 3/4 would be everything kinematics related (constant acceleration, Newton's Laws of motion, energy relating to gravitational, kinetic and elastic, momentum/impulse, work and the difference between vectors and scalars should be plenty).

For VCE Physics, the maths knowledge required is pretty much Year 10 Maths (To account for the people that may not be studying maths at VCE level). It is definitely not hard to 'cram' all these topics in. I think if you talk to your teachers they may be able to recommend some work you do prior to starting 3/4. There is also these worksheets electricity and kinematics that I highly recommend you try as it covers everything you will need for 3/4.

Physics can be a hit or a miss depending on the person. I personally would say that VCE Physics is one of those subjects that you really learn how to understand, rather than using formulas. If you like to think conceptually and can trust 'the physics', I would definitely recommend this subject!

Hope that helps :D

mabajas76

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 09:02:22 pm »
+1
Great answer from Ashmi, but also a heads up for the last AOS you will do. It does not really have any content, the AOS is a practical investigation designed, carried out and written by you. It can be as simple as dropping a ball and measuring the height after each bounce although your teacher may not approve of such a basic practical. Anyway I would suggest also having a think about this, as most kids have experience with writing reports from year 11 although you will have the chance to learn throughout the year. The kids who did the 1/2 would also have experience having already completed the practical investigation in year 11 (although they will need to extend it for year 12). Don't stress too much, but maybe have a think about that. Also do you know which teacher you are likely to get/ which people are in the class? It def helps if u have friends in a class to be able to enjoy it more and talk to each other about the course, team up for pracs etc.
"Don't give up, and don't put too much effort into things that don't matter"-Albert Einstein, probably.

SnekiSnek

• Trendsetter
  • Knowledge gremlin - coming for your neurons
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 11:22:54 am »
Great answer from Ashmi, but also a heads up for the last AOS you will do. It does not really have any content, the AOS is a practical investigation designed, carried out and written by you. It can be as simple as dropping a ball and measuring the height after each bounce although your teacher may not approve of such a basic practical. Anyway I would suggest also having a think about this, as most kids have experience with writing reports from year 11 although you will have the chance to learn throughout the year. The kids who did the 1/2 would also have experience having already completed the practical investigation in year 11 (although they will need to extend it for year 12). Don't stress too much, but maybe have a think about that. Also do you know which teacher you are likely to get/ which people are in the class? It def helps if u have friends in a class to be able to enjoy it more and talk to each other about the course, team up for pracs etc.

In regards to writing written reports, would that be similar to the ones that I have written for chem and psych? Like in the form of research posters?
Literature, Methods, Further, Chemistry, Legal Studies, Psychology, Classical Studies, Physics

mabajas76

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 03:25:52 pm »
Oh when I say written report I mean like a practical. There are outlines in the VCAA study design but the basic idea is:
Question:
Introductory information:
Hypotheses/aim:
Method:
Results:
Discussion:
Conclusion:
So it is an actually like experiment that you have to design and carry out, again it sounds more intimidating than it is. Some people build air pressure cannons and simply measure relationship between angles, pressure and distance where as some, quite literally, drop a ball and look at how high it bounces. It is all about looking at how you choose and experimentally prove and talk about a problem. Doesn't have to be complex, and your hypothesis doesn't even have to be right, just show u know what ur doing and ur teacher should be fine with it. So no, it is definitely not a research poster but you should have had some form of experience with it in previous years, or even in chem cause they do a water prac at the end of year 11 right?
"Don't give up, and don't put too much effort into things that don't matter"-Albert Einstein, probably.