Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 02, 2024, 09:16:27 pm

Author Topic: Group Performance  (Read 1821 times)  Share 

maria1999

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
Group Performance
« on: May 11, 2017, 04:55:32 pm »
Hi guys
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to make a group performance more interesting!

lilyrosee

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +25
Re: Group Performance
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 05:11:22 pm »
+1
Hi guys
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to make a group performance more interesting!

You could try using a soundtrack for some scenes and have minimal dialogue. What is your ensemble topic??
2016: Psychology
2017: English [47] | Literature | Drama [42] | Media | Australian History [43]
2018 - 2020: Bachelor of Arts @ the University of Melbourne

VCE English Essay Marking $10 per essay or 3 essays for $20 - DM for details

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 06:56:46 pm »
Hi Maria!

There are a bunch of things :D

The key thing here is to know your marker.

Your marker is a) a drama teacher. You can play to this greatly throughout your work. One of the best ways is setting your piece in a style. Absurdism, magical realism, post-modernism, verbatim etc, etc. Not only does this make it soooooo much easier to devise, because a lot of the conventions are already set out, but it also is a way for you to impress the marker with your in-depth knowledge of the theatre, philosophy and theory of history. Another way to capitalise on this are theatre references. As drama teachers - the markers are theatre nerds. A sly reference to waiting for Godot here (one of the Onstage performances in 2014/15 used to constantly say "oh my godot!" - my drama teacher's laugh was deafening!), or to Hamlet there - the markers will appreciate. It plays to their interests and sense of humour.

b) probably not young, and definitely not a teenager. Now, that doesn't mean you can't discuss issues that affect teenagers - however make sure that they are still universally relatable. Try not to do the "teen angst" or "intellectual teens vs. backwards adults" tropes, as you risk alienating your audience. In that way as well, references to teen pop culture - particularly internet culture, like memes, YouTubers, etc. - will probably go over their head, so be careful.

Lilyrosee's suggest of a soundtrack is great! However, do be careful that you don't have too many audio/visual/lighting cues. Though they are great, and can create a more exciting/engaging performance, at the end of the day a) too many can be overpowering, b) the markers are only marking your performance/story, not your technical proficiency and c) technology can fail (unfortunately :( ). So definitely take her suggestion on board, but just be a bit careful when it comes to the use of technology :)

Hope this helps!

Susie
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

maria1999

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 08:35:51 pm »
Hi Maria!

There are a bunch of things :D

The key thing here is to know your marker.

Your marker is a) a drama teacher. You can play to this greatly throughout your work. One of the best ways is setting your piece in a style. Absurdism, magical realism, post-modernism, verbatim etc, etc. Not only does this make it soooooo much easier to devise, because a lot of the conventions are already set out, but it also is a way for you to impress the marker with your in-depth knowledge of the theatre, philosophy and theory of history. Another way to capitalise on this are theatre references. As drama teachers - the markers are theatre nerds. A sly reference to waiting for Godot here (one of the Onstage performances in 2014/15 used to constantly say "oh my godot!" - my drama teacher's laugh was deafening!), or to Hamlet there - the markers will appreciate. It plays to their interests and sense of humour.

b) probably not young, and definitely not a teenager. Now, that doesn't mean you can't discuss issues that affect teenagers - however make sure that they are still universally relatable. Try not to do the "teen angst" or "intellectual teens vs. backwards adults" tropes, as you risk alienating your audience. In that way as well, references to teen pop culture - particularly internet culture, like memes, YouTubers, etc. - will probably go over their head, so be careful.

Lilyrosee's suggest of a soundtrack is great! However, do be careful that you don't have too many audio/visual/lighting cues. Though they are great, and can create a more exciting/engaging performance, at the end of the day a) too many can be overpowering, b) the markers are only marking your performance/story, not your technical proficiency and c) technology can fail (unfortunately :( ). So definitely take her suggestion on board, but just be a bit careful when it comes to the use of technology :)

Hope this helps!

Susie

Thank you so much! That sounds great!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:43:41 pm by jamonwindeyer »

maria1999

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 08:36:34 pm »
You could try using a soundtrack for some scenes and have minimal dialogue. What is your ensemble topic??

We'll definitely take that on board, thank you for the suggestion!

It's about teenage rite's of passage and such, we're kind of thinking about going off the infinity stimulus from the starting points that were given, but we're still open to suggestions.

Mod Edit: Post merge :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:39:37 pm by jamonwindeyer »

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 08:43:04 pm »
It's about teenage rite's of passage and such, we're kind of thinking about going off the infinity stimulus from the starting points that were given, but we're still open to suggestions.
If you're thinking about using the infinity stimulus - I'd definitely have a look at absurdism as a potential "style" for your piece! A lot of the conventions and thematic concerns of absurdism link very well with the concept of infinity - eg. the cyclical nature of life. In terms of being "interesting", absurdism is about as interesting as it gets (borderline too interesting - it's fkn weird! But cool weird [if done well  ;)])
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!