Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 07:55:13 am

Author Topic: ANU...is it really that bad?  (Read 1135 times)  Share 

rirerire

• MOTM: OCT 20
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +13
ANU...is it really that bad?
« on: August 10, 2020, 03:21:04 pm »
Hey guys,
I got an early entry offer from ANU but after doing more research today I found that in the past a lot of people have posted online basically trashing ANU for everything from social life to accomodation to teaching... is it really that bad? If so, what specifically is it lacking in and is it worth the move away from home?
Thanks

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: ANU...is it really that bad?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 03:37:10 pm »
+10
Probably just a case of negative comments tend to filter through more than positive comments - everybody I know who went to ANU loved all three

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 04:36:08 pm »
+11
Try reading the comments and responses to other unis - they are almost universally negative, regardless of the uni.  A more objective rating like the QS Top Universities rankings may be a little better.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 08:54:02 pm »
+7
congrats on your offer!

is it really that bad?
no.

not at all.

SOURCE: current ANU student

long answer
there are some things which may not be that good and the uni can work on, but overall I have loved my experience at uni.
ANU is very unique that it is rather diverse with most people not even from Canberra.
Living on campus is also an amazing experience to be so close to uni & meet so many people :)

Teaching quality - I guess some specific courses aren't taught well? Or maybe even some schools. I've quite enjoyed my experiences studying most of my courses with the School of Politics & IR. I've heard good things about many schools/colleges at ANU - the arts & science ones tend to do well. Law and CBE (business/economics) are probably around the same as other unis (in terms of teaching quality)

only real downsides is that food on campus & stuff is kinda expensive that's all :/

--
however, there are obviously many factors which can factor into your decision.
living away can be expensive, so it might not be worth it if you cannot afford it and just save money living at home/going to a local uni
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 08:59:23 pm by strawberries »
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams