Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 08:24:19 pm

Author Topic: HSC Modern History Question Thread  (Read 350545 times)  Share 

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: Modern History Question Thread
« Reply #1020 on: October 20, 2017, 06:33:17 pm »
+1
GUYS WE DID IT!!

To be honest I was pleased with the exam. Bcop and causes of the conflict were in there so I was right!! I was wrong with the dotpoints though, hahaha.

But seriously, it could've been worse so I'm honestly glad that it's all over and done with! Props to susie for predicting allied victory for world war 1, what a legend.

Also, the second conflict in Europe question was loaded! The one about the Russian campaign in the war, did anyone do it? It seems like it would be a really long response! 

Cheers guys, no more hsc modern history exams for us!!
YESSSSS! So glad it went well for ya :)

And no worries ;) Was so happy to that allied victory got brought up here the night before! Prevented a potentially nasty surprise!

thank god that's over!! Does anyone know the raw mark for b6 in modern?? and thanks to the gals on this forum, i've been a lurker but you've been so much help!!
Hey! I got my raw marks back for a few subjects - I'd assume somewhere around mid to low 80s. My raw mark for Modern last year was 94, and that got me a 96 HSC Mark. 85 raw mark got me a 91 HSC Mark for ancient, which scales worse than modern.

And no worries!! So glad that you've progressed from a lurker and introduced yourself to the convo ;)

Not that we ended up needing it but thank you!

Also I was really happy with the exam! I thought the questions for Russia were good (I'd practiced the TOBL question before and coincidentally asked my teacher about it right before I walked into the exam which was nice!)

And idk if any of you do Northern Ireland but I was stoked with the sectarian question - all in all i was expecting so much worse hahaha but honestly just glad its over!
Yay!!!! That Russia question was an absolute dream - so glad you agree :)

And wow! Didn't know there were people that actually did the Northern Ireland option! Always looked so interesting though :) If you're happy to, it would be amazing if you could upload your notes on it, as we definitely need more love on AN for the obscurer options!

WW1 was great but I think I messed up the third MC Q :(
Honestly, that MC was one of the hardest questions in the exam aha, very weirdly worded so don't stress! Also, just one multiple choice, so no biggie :) I got a multiple choice wrong last year, but i didn't end up affecting me!

Germany was reasonable - I did the Great Depressions contribution to rise of Nazi Party.
Personality question's were awesome for my study JEH.
And Cold War was a bit odd. But I went with Soviet invasion of Afghanistan and the impact that had on ending the Cold War but kinda used that conflict as a foundation. and avenue to talk about Gorbachev and Reagan's policies aspiring as result of the invasion and subsequently bringing the Cold War to its end... idkkk that was probably what I found the hardest!

But overall, it was more then fair in my opinion :)
That is exactly how I would have answered that Cold War question! Sounds like you aced it marcus! Great work <3

FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

marcusgrahamm

• Forum Regular
  • --
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1021 on: October 20, 2017, 08:17:12 pm »
Thanks Susie for all your help, couldn't have done it without you assistance!!
Fingers crossed for a band 6 - one can dream lol :)
Business Studies-89

Legal Studies-93

Modern History-93

Society And Culture-93

Advanced English-93

Ext 1 Eng- 42

ATAR: 96.95

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #1022 on: October 20, 2017, 08:46:52 pm »
+2
So... just went through and counted... I went into that exam with 358 statistics, quotes and specific dates memorised and only used 42. Which means that I now know 316 details about WW1, Germany, Speer and the Pacific that I never had to use in my life haha  :P
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 08:50:07 pm by dancing phalanges »
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

diesxel

• Forum Regular
  • sow the seeds, reap the rewards ❊
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #1023 on: October 20, 2017, 10:48:55 pm »
+1
So... just went through and counted... I went into that exam with 358 statistics, quotes and specific dates memorised and only used 42. Which means that I now know 316 details about WW1, Germany, Speer and the Pacific that I never had to use in my life haha  :P

Oh my god I don't know if I should be concerned that you counted all of them, or the fact that you're such a MH legend. Props to you honestly!!! What a feat
HSC 2017 ATAR 97.25 English Advanced (92)- Modern History (89) - Business Studies (93) - Biology (96) - English Extension 1 (47/50) - English Extension 2

Don't stop when you're tired, stop when you're done.

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #1024 on: October 20, 2017, 11:10:11 pm »
Oh my god I don't know if I should be concerned that you counted all of them, or the fact that you're such a MH legend. Props to you honestly!!! What a feat

Haha one of the great things about the HSC - you learn hours of info and use 1/100 of it in the exam
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

stephjones

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #1025 on: October 21, 2017, 01:02:20 pm »
+3
Yay!!!! That Russia question was an absolute dream - so glad you agree :)

And wow! Didn't know there were people that actually did the Northern Ireland option! Always looked so interesting though :) If you're happy to, it would be amazing if you could upload your notes on it, as we definitely need more love on AN for the obscurer options!

I actually didn't really write many notes for NI but I'd be happy to see if I could sort some out after my exams are over! I'm pretty sure there's only about 6 or 7 other schools who do the topic in the state haha, but it was really interesting and I really enjoyed it (:
HSC 2017 (ATAR - 98.40) - English Advanced (95), English Extension 1 (47), Mathematics (92), Mathematics Extension 1 (43), Modern History (92), Biology (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48)

USYD 2018 - Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical) and Bachelor of Arts

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #1026 on: November 10, 2017, 11:49:26 am »
Hi  :)
So I've just started yr 12, and am doing short answer/source analysis practices about once or twice a week. My question is, after I've got the responses marked, do I keep them or chuck them? Are they any use to me after I've read/understood the feedback?
Thanks  ;D

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1027 on: November 10, 2017, 11:55:18 am »
+2
Hi  :)
So I've just started yr 12, and am doing short answer/source analysis practices about once or twice a week. My question is, after I've got the responses marked, do I keep them or chuck them? Are they any use to me after I've read/understood the feedback?
Thanks  ;D
I love hearing that you're already doing practice responses - that'll help you sooooooo much in the long run!! I'd keep them. They're good to look over down the line to track your improvement, to see if there are any consistent patterns in your work that need addressing, and just because looking over past responses can be good revision as well!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #1028 on: November 10, 2017, 12:39:11 pm »
Thanks for that, it might be somehow satisfactory to see the stack of responses I've done at the end too  :D
Should I keep the ones I'm doing at the moment? They are fairly rusty, but should I still keep them?

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1029 on: November 10, 2017, 12:43:01 pm »
+2
Thanks for that, it might be somehow satisfactory to see the stack of responses I've done at the end too  :D
Should I keep the ones I'm doing at the moment? They are fairly rusty, but should I still keep them?
Definitely think you should still keep them - rusty or not! As I said before, its really good to look back on your "rusty" ones to see progress!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #1030 on: November 12, 2017, 02:08:55 pm »
Hey guys,
So I'm currently looking at attempts to break the stalemate. Since Sir Douglas Haig has been a controversial historical leader in being an old-fashioned commander in the Somme and Passchendaele, would you say the same for General von Falkenhayn or General Petain in Verdun?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 02:11:04 pm by owidjaja »
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1031 on: November 13, 2017, 07:17:55 pm »
Hey guys,
So I'm currently looking at attempts to break the stalemate. Since Sir Douglas Haig has been a controversial historical leader in being an old-fashioned commander in the Somme and Passchendaele, would you say the same for General von Falkenhayn or General Petain in Verdun?

Thanks!
Hey! I'm not 100% sure to be honest - as far as I'm aware he's not as vilified as Douglas Haig, but that is probably because of Haig's clear arrogance suggesting the allies could "walk" across no mans land, and repeating all his mistakes a year later in Passchendaele. However, universally the early WW1 general are considered pretty shit, as they didn't adapt to the new form of warfare :)

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #1032 on: November 15, 2017, 09:07:09 pm »
+2
Hey guys,

Thanks!
Hey! I'm not 100% sure to be honest - as far as I'm aware he's not as vilified as Douglas Haig, but that is probably because of Haig's clear arrogance suggesting the allies could "walk" across no mans land, and repeating all his mistakes a year later in Passchendaele. However, universally the early WW1 general are considered pretty shit, as they didn't adapt to the new form of warfare :)
I 100% agree with the above statement! ^^^
They definately weren't as controverisal at all. But the fact that Petain repeatedly kept chucking troops at the entrenched teritory in Verdun was pretty stupid, regardless of its symbolic importance (but thats just my opinion). I guess that means i do believe he was old fashioned as he believed the best way to beat the Germans out of Verdun was to continually send French troops at the entrenched Germans, which wasn't very effective. I don't think Falkenhayn was as old fashioned. The fact that he knew what the French would do to get back Verdun was a good move, even though they lost alot of men. In summary, the above statement sums it up. They weren't nearly as controverisial as Haig; and all early WW1 generals had more or less no clue what to do
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

ilovemycat

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1033 on: November 16, 2017, 07:14:46 pm »
hello  :)
random question - but what is a sarde??

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1034 on: November 16, 2017, 08:37:10 pm »
+1
hello  :)
random question - but what is a sarde??
Are you getting this from Jake's WW1 worksheets? As far as I'm aware, that was just a term that either he or his teacher made up... assuming it's an acronym?

Statistics? Sources?
A?
Random facts?
Dates?
E?

Tbh, not really sure aha, but it's not something you have to know, so I wouldn't worry :) All you need to take from it is that detail is super important, and a lot of it (and it should be varied ;) So not just stats, not just dates, not just quotes, but a varied selection, but various sources :)

Sorry I couldn't be of more help aha

Susie