Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 06:48:48 pm

Author Topic: HSC Modern History Question Thread  (Read 350533 times)  Share 

ilovemycat

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
Re: Modern History Question Thread
« Reply #1035 on: November 16, 2017, 09:18:37 pm »
aaahhhh i see, no thats heaps helpful  :) i thought that it was a term in the syllabus or something that we needed to know hahaha

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #1036 on: November 16, 2017, 09:34:31 pm »
+1
hello  :)
random question - but what is a sarde??
When i first saw this, i laughed because i thought you were talking about the pasta dish sarde, not anything else and wondering how a pasta question relates to modern history. But i understand now, its alright!!!
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #1037 on: November 16, 2017, 11:41:59 pm »
When i first saw this, i laughed because i thought you were talking about the pasta dish sarde, not anything else and wondering how a pasta question relates to modern history. But i understand now, its alright!!!
ahaha that's so funny - I can assure you that pasta will not be a feature in your HSC exam (unfortunately :( maybe petition NESA? Seems like a worthy inclusion in the syllabus)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1038 on: November 17, 2017, 06:07:09 pm »
+1
ahaha that's so funny - I can assure you that pasta will not be a feature in your HSC exam (unfortunately :( maybe petition NESA? Seems like a worthy inclusion in the syllabus)
I actually wish it was about pasta. It would be so much easier then. Maybe they could incorporate it (Pasta is a dish involving many ingredients-contributed to food shortages on home fronts in ww1???)
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

Claudiaa

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #1039 on: November 19, 2017, 08:16:17 pm »
If a source is an extract from a memorandum written by a Commander (Haig), would that be to inform the public on his stance? I'm confused at this, i thought a memo would be for personal uses (like a diary, not supposed to be published etc)

HSC 2018: English Advanced | Math Ext 1 | Studies of Religion I | Economics | Legal | Modern History

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1040 on: November 19, 2017, 08:37:45 pm »
+3
If a source is an extract from a memorandum written by a Commander (Haig), would that be to inform the public on his stance? I'm confused at this, i thought a memo would be for personal uses (like a diary, not supposed to be published etc)

hi! i personally don't think a memo would be to inform the public on his stance (maybe later, but not at the time of the war). i'd say you're right. :-) anyone else want to chip in?
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #1041 on: November 19, 2017, 11:49:58 pm »
+3

I get confused by what memorandums are ahaha but with sources written by commanders while useful in providing a perspective from a significant figure in the war are also at times hindered by the fact that they may be using them to draw attention away from their own failings as commanders in battles and are therefore not as reliable in that sense! Eg. In our hsc this year a source was written by a commander explaining reasons for defeat of the army and I wrote its reliability was hindered by the fact he could have been writing to divert reasons for losses away from his own failings as commander, hope that makes sense and is relevant ahah I rambled a lot
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1042 on: November 20, 2017, 03:30:53 pm »
I believe they are. If i was to write memos, i would not be writing them with the intention of showing them to the public

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #1043 on: November 22, 2017, 05:09:05 pm »
Would a memoir that was written in 1938 that is reflecting on what happened in 1918 be primary or secondary?
Also, what would the audience of a memoir be?
Thanks!! ;D

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1044 on: November 22, 2017, 05:25:48 pm »
+1
Would a memoir that was written in 1938 that is reflecting on what happened in 1918 be primary or secondary?
Also, what would the audience of a memoir be?
Thanks!! ;D
I think it would depend on who wrote the memoirs. Also context.
So if you were studying the nature of trench warfare and the memoir was from a soldier in a trench on the western front describing the features of trench warefare and what life was like in them and how everything happened. Then yes it is primary
If the question is asking about an event and the person who wrote the memoir was involved in the event, then im 99.9% sure it will always be primary.
The audience is your interpretation of it. But with memoirs, it depends on wheather the person intended to have them read by the public.
This is all just what i believe , but i hope it helps!!

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1045 on: November 22, 2017, 05:40:37 pm »
I think it would depend on who wrote the memoirs. Also context.
So if you were studying the nature of trench warfare and the memoir was from a soldier in a trench on the western front describing the features of trench warefare and what life was like in them and how everything happened. Then yes it is primary
If the question is asking about an event and the person who wrote the memoir was involved in the event, then im 99.9% sure it will always be primary.
The audience is your interpretation of it. But with memoirs, it depends on wheather the person intended to have them read by the public.
This is all just what i believe , but i hope it helps!!
Yep ok thanks. It's an extract from David Lloyd's memoirs, reflecting on the first world war, so I think it would have been intended for a public audience

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1046 on: November 22, 2017, 08:52:36 pm »
Yep ok thanks. It's an extract from David Lloyd's memoirs, reflecting on the first world war, so I think it would have been intended for a public audience
I agree. Given he was the prime minister during the first part of ww1 then obiviously his memoirs would eventually be read by the public
Also, it would depend on the question that the source related too for wheather it was primary or secondary. If it was about nature of trench warfare then it would be secondary, because he wasn't actually there
But on a topic such as britans home front, then it'd be primary
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 08:54:39 pm by Mada438 »

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1047 on: November 22, 2017, 09:21:02 pm »
Bit of a different perspective here! I was always taught that a memoir, no matter who it was written by, or what subject it was on, is secondary, due to the fact that it is written later than the events in question. Even if they are writing about their own experiences, the fact that time has past will impact their perspective, ie. they may have an altered memory, impact of hindsight etc. etc.

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1048 on: November 22, 2017, 09:36:12 pm »
Bit of a different perspective here! I was always taught that a memoir, no matter who it was written by, or what subject it was on, is secondary, due to the fact that it is written later than the events in question. Even if they are writing about their own experiences, the fact that time has past will impact their perspective, ie. they may have an altered memory, impact of hindsight etc. etc.
Yes ok this makes sense too! So do you mean that in the time gap between when they experienced the event in question, to when they wrote it, their perspectives on that event could have changed, or they may have reflected more deeply on it etc?

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1049 on: November 22, 2017, 09:38:19 pm »
Yes ok this makes sense too! So do you mean that in the time gap between when they experienced the event in question, to when they wrote it, their perspectives on that event could have changed, or they may have reflected more deeply on it etc?
Both! Their memory could also be faulty, or they now know more about the events which could have altered their opinion too.

It is a debated topic, so if you say either way you may still be fine. I just know that throughout HSC I always referred to them as secondary sources because that was what I was taught, and was never penalised/told otherwise :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 09:40:26 pm by sudodds »