Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 09:30:15 pm

Author Topic: HSC Modern History Question Thread  (Read 350556 times)  Share 

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: HSC Modern History Question Thread
« Reply #1110 on: March 06, 2018, 06:54:27 pm »
+1
Hey Guys,

If anyone could please help me approach this question and give me some ideas on what to write and how to get full marks.

To what extent was the Great Depression responsible for the collapse of the Weimar Republic?

Thanks in advance!

Hey!

The same essay question has been answered here and here.

All the best for your essay!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

fatima_t

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1111 on: March 06, 2018, 08:03:50 pm »
Just seconding what Mada438 has said here! It's the Weimar Republic as a whole, i.e. the many governments under the many leaders that changed.

All the best with your essay!

Hey thankyou so much

Hey just to add to Mada438's explanation, this requires you to look at how each Government within the Weimar Republic solved issues - so how the Republic did under the Ebert govt, stresseman govt, Hindenburg govt etc

thankyouuuuu

Just to build on this
Your 3 main body paragraphs will probably come under "political, social and economic" (at least that's how i would interpret it). Within these paragraphs, you could divide them into analyzing in depth (if you can find enough information) how a handful of the governments (as dancing phalanges suggested e.g. the Ebert govt, Stresemann govt, Hindenburg govt etc) solved these issues.
By doing this, you provide more sides to your argument when assessing the question. The question is asking "How successful" which sounds like an evaluate question where you make a judgment based on criteria. Your criteria would be the handful of governments and their methods of solving political, social and economic problems.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, it's just a suggestion i literally thought of just then.
Good luck!

Sorry for getting to this so late this website is kinda confusing to use but it has helped me so much thankyou so much

Mod edit: post merge. You can quote as many posts as you like in the one post - just write what you want to respond under each quote. :-) Here's a link to a thread by brenden on how to use the forums!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 09:10:36 pm by fantasticbeasts3 »

joemassoud

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1112 on: March 10, 2018, 12:33:44 pm »
Hey Guys,

How many words would be suitable for a 25 marker? - a rough estimate would be great

Thanks in advance!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1113 on: March 10, 2018, 01:22:27 pm »
+1
Hey Guys,

How many words would be suitable for a 25 marker? - a rough estimate would be great

Thanks in advance!

Hi!

You're meant to write ~1000 words in 45 mins for your 25 markers. :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #1114 on: March 10, 2018, 02:15:10 pm »
Hey guys,
I was just wondering, when do you usually start your Personality Study?
My teacher has structured the topics in a weird way: we've gone through the first two dot points of Weimar Germany (emergence and impacts of ToV) and now we're going to do a bit of our Personality Study (and will be assessed in half-yearlies) and then go back to Weimar next term and then continue our Personality Study.

Just kinda curious how other schools structure it (and also kinda sad I can't participate in the Modern History Debate Thread because I don't know enough on Germany to formulate an opinion ;-;)

Thanks in advance!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1115 on: March 10, 2018, 02:58:25 pm »
Hey guys,
My teacher has structured the topics in a weird way: we've gone through the first two dot points of Weimar Germany (emergence and impacts of ToV) and now we're going to do a bit of our Personality Study (and will be assessed in half-yearlies) and then go back to Weimar next term and then continue our Personality Study.

Just kinda curious how other schools structure it (and also kinda sad I can't participate in the Modern History Debate Thread because I don't know enough on Germany to formulate an opinion ;-;)

Thanks in advance!

Hello!!

It depends - different schools start at different times. At my school, we did a pretty strange thing, where we started studying the the first part of the Cold War, then we did the personality study, because the personality study was our term 3 year 12 assessment. It was dumb then, and still is dumb now... like why start studying Gorbachev when you're not even halfway through studying the Cold War lol.

Which personality are you doing? Maybe we could do debates on specific personalities!

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #1116 on: March 10, 2018, 03:04:17 pm »
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!
That's really strange. Our structure has been rather normal.
We did the whole of WW1, now we're just finishing up our national study, but we haven't quite finished that but once we do THEN we'll do our personality study.
Stil haven't decided definitively who we're doing yet: The 3 options are Hirahito (emperor of Japan during WW2, Gorbachev or Albert Speer) Personally, this sounds a little ridiculous. I really think we should be studying Albert Speer seeing as we did Germany (even though this is not a requirement, let's just stick with the theme!)
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #1117 on: March 10, 2018, 03:06:10 pm »
Hello!!

It depends - different schools start at different times. At my school, we did a pretty strange thing, where we started studying the the first part of the Cold War, then we did the personality study, because the personality study was our term 3 year 12 assessment. It was dumb then, and still is dumb now... like why start studying Gorbachev when you're not even halfway through studying the Cold War lol.

Which personality are you doing? Maybe we could do debates on specific personalities!
I'm doing Leni Riefenstahl for my Personality Study. And yeah, it would be pretty cool to do debates on personalities! Only spent like four lessons studying her and I'm already being judgemental lol. The only problem is that there's a pretty long list of personalities so I'm not entirely sure how it would work out (pretty sure there's like 30).
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1118 on: March 10, 2018, 03:28:55 pm »
+2
That's really strange. Our structure has been rather normal.
We did the whole of WW1, now we're just finishing up our national study, but we haven't quite finished that but once we do THEN we'll do our personality study.
Stil haven't decided definitively who we're doing yet: The 3 options are Hirahito (emperor of Japan during WW2, Gorbachev or Albert Speer) Personally, this sounds a little ridiculous. I really think we should be studying Albert Speer seeing as we did Germany (even though this is not a requirement, let's just stick with the theme!)

What's the other topic you're studying? The personality study can be linked to your national study, or your peace and conflict one. I did Gorbachev for the personality study, and he's a pretty interesting guy, so in your choice of personalities, you should probably pick him (not biased at all hahaha).

Lots of people do Speer for their personality study, so there'll be a ton of information out there. Apparently the study on Speer is outside of the time period you study Germany (I hope that makes sense), so someone who will cross over with a topic you do is a good idea. :-)

I'm doing Leni Riefenstahl for my Personality Study. And yeah, it would be pretty cool to do debates on personalities! Only spent like four lessons studying her and I'm already being judgemental lol. The only problem is that there's a pretty long list of personalities so I'm not entirely sure how it would work out (pretty sure there's like 30).

Cool! Most people tend to study either Speer, Riefenstahl or Trotsky (I think?) so we should be good with debates on specific personalities. :-)

Hey Guys,

If anyone can please read my response that would be awesome!

Also, if anyone can suggests what i can delete from my response because it is currently 1500 words and I believe its too long.

Furthermore, if its possible can someone give me a mark out of 25.

Thanks in advance!

Hey, welcome to the forums! I hope AN will become a great place for you throughout year 12, and maybe beyond! :-)

If I have time today, I'll look at your response. :-) You also have a few of your peers here who can help you out too!

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #1119 on: March 10, 2018, 04:46:16 pm »
Hey Guys,

If anyone can please read my response that would be awesome!

Also, if anyone can suggests what i can delete from my response because it is currently 1500 words and I believe its too long.

Furthermore, if its possible can someone give me a mark out of 25.

Thanks in advance!

To what extent was the Great Depression responsible for the collapse of the Weimar Republic?
Hey! I had a quick scan over, and it doesn't look too bad, but there's always tweaking to be done!
I don't have time to today, but i'll have a proper look at it tomorrow!
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

tay.j

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #1120 on: March 15, 2018, 01:53:50 pm »
Hello!
How would I go about answering the question:
Assess the importance of nationalism as a cause of the failure of democracy in Germany in the period 1918-1933
I know lots of people answer history essays with PSE, but what kind of content would I include?
Thankyou  :)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1121 on: March 15, 2018, 02:25:24 pm »
+1
Hello!
How would I go about answering the question:
Assess the importance of nationalism as a cause of the failure of democracy in Germany in the period 1918-1933
I know lots of people answer history essays with PSE, but what kind of content would I include?
Thankyou  :)

Hey!

With this question, you could definitely do political, economic and social factors, as long as you keep referring back to nationalism. :-) You could include the impacts of the Treaty of Versailles, as nationalists were very much against paying reparations and "giving in" to demands of the Treaty. There's also the various right wing movements and you can talk about Hitler's rise to power here as well. Hitler (keeps autocorrecting to Butler on my phone lol) used a lot of the weaknesses of Weimar Germany to capture the interests of people, reminding them there could be a better Germany if he was in charge. You can talk about anything really (provided it's relevant to Weimar Germany) as long as you keep referring back to nationalism, because it's an "assess" question.

Hope this helps!

tay.j

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #1122 on: March 15, 2018, 02:33:55 pm »
Hey!

With this question, you could definitely do political, economic and social factors, as long as you keep referring back to nationalism. :-) You could include the impacts of the Treaty of Versailles, as nationalists were very much against paying reparations and "giving in" to demands of the Treaty. There's also the various right wing movements and you can talk about Hitler's rise to power here as well. Hitler (keeps autocorrecting to Butler on my phone lol) used a lot of the weaknesses of Weimar Germany to capture the interests of people, reminding them there could be a better Germany if he was in charge. You can talk about anything really (provided it's relevant to Weimar Germany) as long as you keep referring back to nationalism, because it's an "assess" question.

Hope this helps!
One thing I'm struggling with it the economic part - how would nationalism tie into economic?

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1123 on: March 15, 2018, 03:07:48 pm »
+3
One thing I'm struggling with it the economic part - how would nationalism tie into economic?

Your economic factors paragraph can start like this: "While nationalism was significant in the failure of democracy in Germany, economic factors such as (insert factors here) were also important." That was super lame and basic, but the question asks you to assess the importance of each factor in relation to the failure of democracy, so you just need to make a judgement on which factor was the most significant. :-)

Never.Give.Up

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #1124 on: March 15, 2018, 07:40:06 pm »
Hey guys!!  ;D

Just wondering how to write topic sentences for history essays. I'm answering PSE for this question- To what extent did the weaknesses in the Weimar Republic account for the growth and rise to power of the Nazi Party to 1933?

My thesis is- The growth and rise of the Nazi Party to 1933 was significantly facilitated by the failures of the Weimar Republic.
Go on to say...
Weaknesses largely outweighed the successes of Weimar Germany and were accentuated by nationalistic pride, political intrigue and opportunism. The economic dislocation of the Weimar Republic, social disillusionment of the Treaty of Versailles and the political instabilities associated with the Weimar Constitution are all pivotal issues that contributed to Nazi accession to power.

How would I derive topic sentence from this- that support my thesis and answer the question?

Any help is appreciated!!  ;D :D