Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 04:36:08 pm

Author Topic: HSC Modern History Question Thread  (Read 350519 times)  Share 

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
Re: Modern History Question Thread
« Reply #120 on: October 15, 2016, 03:43:49 pm »
Hi again:) Ive been looking through some past papers and hoping for some clarification on a couple of things?
What was the significance of the Nazi Soviet Pact other than for Hitler avoiding war on the eastern front whilst he was invading France and the Low Countries and Stalin trying to buy time?
Also was the significance of the Russian counteroffensives in 1944 simply that it meant Germany was decisively pushed out of the Soviet Union and Hitlers control of central and eastern europe was diminished?

Thank you so much:)

Look, you've really hit the nail on the head in your question, so I don't think there's much for me to add! It's been a while since I did the topic, so I don't know anything in greater depth that what you've described. Looks like you have nothing to worry about!
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #121 on: October 15, 2016, 03:46:02 pm »
Hi, I'm currently doing some practice essays for national study: Russia and I'm having trouble figuring out how i should structure my essay for the question:

What was the impact of the purges, show trials and ‘the terror’ on the Communist Party and Soviet society?

Thank you  :)

Unfortunately, I didn't do this area :( Try to think of what type of impacts there were; political? Social? Economic? From there, you can structure your essay easily into paragraphs, based on these distinct impacts. Sorry that I can't help more!

imtrying

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #122 on: October 15, 2016, 04:17:28 pm »
Look, you've really hit the nail on the head in your question, so I don't think there's much for me to add! It's been a while since I did the topic, so I don't know anything in greater depth that what you've described. Looks like you have nothing to worry about!

Thank you for replying, any reassurance that I actually know what I'm talking about is greatly appreciated haha :)
Year 12 2016 (94.20)
English (Adv), Maths Ext.1, Modern History, Biology and Physics

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #123 on: October 15, 2016, 06:20:19 pm »
Hi, I'm currently doing some practice essays for national study: Russia and I'm having trouble figuring out how i should structure my essay for the question:

What was the impact of the purges, show trials and ‘the terror’ on the Communist Party and Soviet society?

Thank you  :)

Stalin isn't my strong suit with Russia, I prefer the Bolshevik consolidation questions but I can help you out a bit :)
Off the top of my head I can think of two ways that you could structure this essay.

- Thematically, so (as jakesilove said) Social, Economic, Political, Cultural etc. would each have their own paragraph. Since "society" is in the question I'd probably have "social" as my first paragraph). This would be my preferred way to do it.

- You could also base each paragraph around a specific section of society that was impacted. So one paragraph on Communist Party Members (particularly remember to talk about Kirov, Kamenev, Zinoviev and Bukharin), one on society (remember to talk about the kulaks) and one on the Army. This would be a good structure as well :)

Hope this helps!! Good luck comrade xx
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

pughg16

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #124 on: October 15, 2016, 06:22:52 pm »
I haven't been on this thread, so sorry if I'm repeating a question, but for the personality study, how is it best to integrate Historians?
Just that I am having some trouble remembering which historian said what quote ???...especially when I am writing a timed essay, and I get kinda flustered.....
Should I just state their opinion, or paraphrase a quote, instead of explicitly quoting?

Also....are historians in the National & conflict studies a must, or are they just if they fit?

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2016, 06:36:17 pm »
+1
I haven't been on this thread, so sorry if I'm repeating a question, but for the personality study, how is it best to integrate Historians?
Just that I am having some trouble remembering which historian said what quote ???...especially when I am writing a timed essay, and I get kinda flustered.....
Should I just state their opinion, or paraphrase a quote, instead of explicitly quoting?

Also....are historians in the National & conflict studies a must, or are they just if they fit?

hey hey :)
When integrating historians, try to avoid "shopping listing," which is the term my teacher uses to describe when a students paragraph is pretty much just namedropping as many historians as possible. It looks like you are avoiding answering the question that way.
In terms of remembering which historian said which quote, this is being a little bit sneaky, but according to my teacher who marks the modern hsc, you're unlikely to get marked down if you put the wrong historians name, the teacher will just view it as an honest mistake and move on. Try to avoid doing this as much as you can, because if all of your historians are wrong then it will look dodgy, but if you have an amazing quote but you just can't remember who said it, just take a guess and you should be fine (as long as the opinion within the quote is not wildly different to that held by the historian, for example - idk what personality study you do but this is for Trotsky - don't put Hitchens name after a Service quote).
Paraphrasing/stating the opinion of a historian is fab with longer quotes or if you are just expressing his ideas in general, but shorter, exact quotes are great also :) Just make sure you aren't just dropping them in for the sake of having a quote, they have to fit in with your argument.

It's good to have historians for the national and conflict study, and in general the top marking essays tend to use them. However don't worry too much about them because the markers would much rather see your own judgements and ideas instead of just the regurgitating of a historian. Use the quotes when they fit and when they back up your own arguments, rather than just listing them :)

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

birdwing341

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +4
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2016, 06:40:31 pm »
+1

Hello pughg!

So the way I see it is that you don't need historians for National and Conflict studies, but they can be super helpful and can show the marker your sophistication. That said, you should definitely not spam quotes and not explain them.

There are honestly so many ways of referencing historians, so I might give some examples of the ways that I use them.

1. Drop their name/opinion: So in some situations the easiest thing to do is just to drop the name and drop their opinion. This is perhaps more helpful for national and conflict studies, because you want to be doing a bit more explanation for your personality study. I've included a sentence below from one of my introductions, which shows how to just drop the names and opinions. Also I used quote marks on a key phrase they use, wouldn't really call that quoting.

Yet his role in this state has formed the basis of an intense historiographical debate between structuralists such as Norman Rich, who believe that Hitler held ultimate power as the ‘Master of the Third Reich’, and intentionalists, who in the extreme case of Hans Mommsen, view Hitler as a ‘weak dictator’.

2. Drop the quote: Another way, that is perhaps a little more stressful, is to memorise a quote and drop it in the exam. I want to stress that this isn't required in national and conflict studies (but you can use it), however I personally prefer to use this method in personality studies (although paraphrasing is sometimes fine). The following is an example from my 15/15 Speer trials which has quotes integrated. You want to be making sure with the personality study that historians don't replace your opinion but support it - so in the extract below I suggest my idea and then support it with quotes

Speer’s self-interest also caused him to shift his alliances after realising Germany would lose the war including in his opposition to the Nero Order, in which Dan van der Vat suggests ‘Speer acted cynically with an eye to post-war Germany’ and his plan to kill Hitler which he labels ‘little more than thinking aloud…bunker bunkum’.

3. Paraphrase :): The easiest method, which works just as well in national/conflict studies and can sometimes be OK in personality studies. It just involves dropping the name of the historian and paraphrasing their view. It's a notch down in sophistication, but it suffices well. I'll contrast methods 2 and 3 below to show the difference and the effect.

Method 2: The constant conflict within the Nazi state actually enhanced Hitler’s position of power significantly, as Dietrich Bracher says “the antagonism between rival agencies was resolved solely in the key position of the Führer, which derived precisely from the complex opposition of power groups and personal ties”

Method 3: Dietrich Bracher agrees that the constant conflict between rival power cartels in the Nazi state actually enhanced Hitler's power, as the system encouraged individuals to fight amongst themselves rather than fight to usurp Hitler's position.

Sorry about the ramble haha, but to directly answer the question. The best way to integrate historians in personality study is to use a direct quote, however if you forget that's all good :) just paraphrase their opinion and chuck it in quotation marks. And historians aren't necessary in national and conflict studies but I would heavily suggest using them!!

Hope that helped

Haha sudodds beat me to it, I'll post this anyway
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 06:42:12 pm by birdwing341 »

lozil

• Trailblazer
« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2016, 07:42:35 pm »

Also on the personality study and I also apologise if this has been asked before, but for the 15 marker, any tips for studying for it? With every other section I pretty much just use pre-prepared essays but the 15 marker is a bit of a wild card... (for the trials I prepped for the wrong type of question for the 15 marker which is essentially the spot i lost all my marks)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2016, 07:51:29 pm »
+1
Also on the personality study and I also apologise if this has been asked before, but for the 15 marker, any tips for studying for it? With every other section I pretty much just use pre-prepared essays but the 15 marker is a bit of a wild card... (for the trials I prepped for the wrong type of question for the 15 marker which is essentially the spot i lost all my marks)
Who's your personality? For Trotsky, I have "prepared"-ish paragraphs for each syllabus dotpoint, and depending on the question I choose which paragraphs I will use, however they are also almost invariably slightly changed to suit the question. Though for national and international study I almost always write my essays thematically, I find it a lot easier with the personality to structure them by syllabus dot point :)

The best thing you can do is to do as many practice responses in timed conditions as possible. If you can get them checked over by your teacher. Another good thing to do is to get every single past question you can find, and create an essay plan for them. There are only so many types of questions they can ask for this, and a lot of the times they are at least to some extent repeated (slight word changes here and there).

I would probably spend a bit more time studying for this section though if I were you. The questions from the last two years have been deceptively really tricky, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was where the curveball for 2016 will fall as well!

Hope this helps!!

Celeriac

• Trailblazer
  • School: --
« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2016, 07:52:17 pm »
Hi  :)

I have a question about Germany (national study).

I'm having a bit of trouble with this question from last year's HSC:
How effective was the Nazi party up to 1939 in dealing with the political, economic and social issues arising from the Weimar Republic?

I know for political issues I could discuss the fact that by establishing a one-party state, the issues regarding proportional representation as well as Article 48 were removed, political violence was lessened and there was overall an increase in political stability. However, I'm not sure how to sustain a discussion on social or economic issues.

Am I missing content or was this just the more difficult question from last year's paper? I feel like Nazi economic policy was never really a focus, nor was their response to social issues.

Edit: would it be possible to argue that the Nazi Party made social issues worse via their response to religion, the youth, and etc?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 08:00:07 pm by Celeriac »

birdwing341

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #130 on: October 15, 2016, 08:17:56 pm »
Hi  :)

I have a question about Germany (national study).

I'm having a bit of trouble with this question from last year's HSC:
How effective was the Nazi party up to 1939 in dealing with the political, economic and social issues arising from the Weimar Republic?

I know for political issues I could discuss the fact that by establishing a one-party state, the issues regarding proportional representation as well as Article 48 were removed, political violence was lessened and there was overall an increase in political stability. However, I'm not sure how to sustain a discussion on social or economic issues.

Am I missing content or was this just the more difficult question from last year's paper? I feel like Nazi economic policy was never really a focus, nor was their response to social issues.

Edit: would it be possible to argue that the Nazi Party made social issues worse via their response to religion, the youth, and etc?

Hello :)

Come to think of it that's a particularly difficult question as you have to define the issues, address the Nazi policy response and then evaluate its effectiveness! But here's the thing - economic policy was a minor focus of the Nazi party, but it isn't a focus of our syllabus, which makes addressing the question a little more difficult. I've gone to find a book with some actual information so what I'm saying is 100% legit :)

So apparently Hitler told his cabinet to 'avoid all detailed statements concerning an economic programme of the government', however he also realised that his position depended on bring Germany out of a recession (because he achieved representation by a negative consensus). Firstly the Nazi party wished to ensure that reliance on overseas economies (which brought about the Depression) did not happen again and so they pursued a policy of autarky (self-sufficiency). And the Nazis were also exposed to (uh oh economics) Keynesian economic theory which basically suggested that by spending lots of money and creating jobs, the economy would improve, and so they pursued this policy also. Despite these ideologies, 'no single unified economic system prevailed throughout the entire period of the Nazi regime'.

The Nazis also brought in Hjalmat Schacht (who was an absolute genius) and he developed a wide range of strategies which, to cut things short, basically attempted to create jobs and growth (lmao!!). As a result of his policies, by 1936 unemployment had reached 1.5m (a new low), GDP had increased by 40% and industrial output had increased by 60% - but these masked some structural issues of the economy. In order to address these problems, Goering introduced a Four Year Plan in 1936 which ostensibly highlighted objectives to continue growth, and ready the German economy for war within four years - however their policy did not eventuate in their desired aims and by the outbreak of war, they had not achieved self-sufficiency and were still in huge amounts of public debt.

So I'd address this sector by saying they addressed them ostensibly, but did not actually solve their problems completely. As for the social aspect, you could say whatever you would like :) as long as you back it up with historical evidence. Personally I would say the Nazi party achieved their aims and created a stable society of acquiescence by their use of propaganda, terror and repression, because I don't believe that the Nazis were truly fixated on engaging German society with a cultural revolution, but were instead focused on creating internal stability so that their twin aims of 'race and war' could be pursued on a foreign stage.

The only problem I have with the argument that the Nazis made society worse etc. was that they created a stable society, so if you argue that you would have to talk about the ability of the church to pursue its own agendas on 'church matters', small business rejection of Nazi education reforms as graduates were not skilled enough for the workplace, the number of groups that actively abstained from youth etc.

Good luck :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 08:59:35 pm by brenden »

onepunchboy

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
  • School: Concord High
« Reply #131 on: October 16, 2016, 06:13:59 am »
For anyone doing the Arab-Israeli Conflict, can someone explain to me the difference between Arab Nationalism and Pan-Arab nationalism? Thanks

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #132 on: October 16, 2016, 11:27:47 am »
Hello :)

The only problem I have with the argument that the Nazis made society worse etc. was that they created a stable society
Good luck :)

Brilliant answer, nothing really to add here. Potentially, steer away from claiming that the Nazis created a 'stable society'. I could walk into a room, handcuff everyone to a chair, kill a third of them out, and be sure to have a 'stable' room. Like, it's either an obvious, unnecessary argument, or bordering on apologetic. Just something to be careful of aha

pughg16

• Forum Regular
« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2016, 09:10:54 am »

I'm doing Speer for the Personality Study, and it is possible to have prepared-ish ideas for a paragraph...
With Speer, a lot of the questions can be based on three points....
1. Appointment as first architect
2. Appointment as Armaments Minister
3. Nuremburg & life after the trials
These points can all be fairly easily manipulated, as long as you have supporting historians for each point....
Hope this helps!

pughg16

• Forum Regular
« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2016, 09:12:51 am »
+1
And thanks to birdwing341 and sudodds for the help!!