Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 09:45:12 pm

Author Topic: HSC Modern History Question Thread  (Read 350557 times)  Share 

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: Modern History Question Thread
« Reply #375 on: June 05, 2017, 09:42:01 pm »
How would someone approach this question,

"Assess the role played by Trotsky in the timing, planning and implementation of the Bolshevik Revn/insurrection"

Wow! That is a super specific question  :o Are they expecting a full essay response? Or just a paragraph? In the HSC I'd typically only write one paragraph on Trotsky's role in the 1917 Revolution.

First of all with this question you're going to want to make a judgement as to whether he was significant or not! Which he was. Undoubtedly was. Even Stalin admits this, saying that the Bolshevik Party is indebted to "Comrade Trotsky." He was significant for multiple reasons, many of which are addressed within this question! And that is what I would suggest your structure be (whether this is meant to be a full response, or just a paragraph).

- Timing: Trotsky convinced Lenin to change the date of the Revolution to coincide with the Second All-Russian Congress of Soviets, so that the Bolsheviks could claim power in the name of the Soviets rather than the Bolshevik Party, and in turn secure more popular support/diminish potential backlash.

- Planning: Was critical in the planning of the revolution alongside Lenin. Was also a highly critical speaker and motivator, with Wood suggesting that he had "oratory skills that set listeners ears on fire."

- Insurrection: Orchestrated the storming of the Winter Palace, as the leader of the Red Guard. This was where the official takeover took place, in what is often referred to as a "bloodless coup" (despite the fact that "coup" isn't the most accurate way to describe the revolution) - the insurrection was so quick and effectively organised that there was little to no bloodshed :)

Hope this helps! Obviously you'll need a lot more detail to support your arguments, but these are the key issues that you will want to be discussing within your response :)

Susie
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

bellerina

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #376 on: June 05, 2017, 09:58:36 pm »
Yeah i'm not sure if this is supposed to be a full response or not -- i think its just a paragraph... because i got this from a set of question assigned for homework and it doesnt really specify if its a whole page extended or just a paragraph  :o
The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #377 on: June 05, 2017, 10:01:48 pm »
Yeah i'm not sure if this is supposed to be a full response or not -- i think its just a paragraph... because i got this from a set of question assigned for homework and it doesnt really specify if its a whole page extended or just a paragraph  :o
You'd never get a question this specific in the HSC exam that is for sure! The question has to accomodate for all the personalities, so they'll only ever be on significance, interpretations and whether or not they shaped events or where shaped by the events (e.g. whether or not they were a product of their time). So I'd assume this is just a paragraph :)

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

bellerina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #378 on: June 06, 2017, 05:21:26 pm »
In dot points, what was Trotsky role in the 1917 revolutionv
The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #379 on: June 06, 2017, 05:37:49 pm »
In dot points, what was Trotsky role in the 1917 revolutionv
Hey Bellerina!

If you scroll down a bit you'll see that I provided just that in response to your previous question :)) Those three points - changing the date, organisation/motivation and leader of the red guard - are really the big things that you'd want to talk about in regards to 1917 :) Of course you'll want to gather some more detail to support your response - find some good stats, quotes, facts etc. etc. If you go to the notes section and look up 'detail table' you'll be able to find a document that I created last year full of detail/quotes according to the syllabus (including Trotsky as well!).

Susie

bellerina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #380 on: June 06, 2017, 06:30:53 pm »
Oh my gosh Susie thank you so much! And i srsly need help for Russia -- how do i study for it! I was thinking of doing all the essay questions that they could possibly ask instead of doing notes -- because i feel like making notes isnt really going to work for me, especially if i have to write essays... what shouuuuld i doo!!!!   :( :(

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #381 on: June 06, 2017, 07:50:01 pm »
Oh my gosh Susie thank you so much! And i srsly need help for Russia -- how do i study for it! I was thinking of doing all the essay questions that they could possibly ask instead of doing notes -- because i feel like making notes isnt really going to work for me, especially if i have to write essays... what shouuuuld i doo!!!!   :( :(
No worries! Happy to help :)
The way that I studied for Russia (and for literally all Modern History topics lol) was writing practice responses. I very rarely wrote notes, as I'm a more practical based learner (eg. I need to be actively doing things in order to learn content). Writing notes takes up a hellova lot of time, so if you don't feel as though it is working for you, I'd defs recommend adopting a new method!

Doing a practice response on every type of question they can ask is great (exactly what I did!) - however do not attempt to memorise all those essays. One of the most common comments from the marking centre is that students are clearly writing preprepared essays to questions from years before. Instead, write the essays and then look at the links and themes. Do you always tend to answer Bolshevik questions a particular way? Is there a bit of Stalinism content that you almost always have a paragraph on? That will give you a good indication of the mental essay plans that you can take into your exams :)

Finally, in terms of notes, there was one form that I did try and do recommend - tables. Detail Tables, Linking Tables and argument tables are FANTASTIC. Reason being, they are a) easy to understand and study, and b) are a form of active study, as you have to actually think and consider the significance of the content, rather than just writing it down. You can find a bunch of mine in the notes section if you need to have a look at a scaffold :)

Hope this helps! If you ever need Russia (or any other form of modern) help please let us know!

Susie

Newbalance101

• Adventurer
« Reply #382 on: June 06, 2017, 10:16:20 pm »
Assess how the problems faced by the Weimar Republic contributed to the rise and the success of the Nazi movement.
Hi this is a question we were given to answer and I'm having trouble with how to structure each paragraph. Do I do one problem and then how it lead to the success in the same paragraph or should i talk about them in separate paragraphs e.g. The Weimar government's inability to properly gain the loyalty and support of the primarily right wing army allowed Hitler to utilise the army in 1933 in order to abolish the role of presidency
Or should I do separate paragraphs: The Weimar government failed to retain the support of the workers and middle classes during the Great Depression. (in one paragraph) and then in another paragraph: The Nazi regime's effective use of propaganda and radical views meant that during the Great Depression they were able to gain the majority vote?

Any other pieces of advice on how to answer this question would also be greatly appreciated thank you in advanced :)

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #383 on: June 07, 2017, 10:30:48 am »
+1
Assess how the problems faced by the Weimar Republic contributed to the rise and the success of the Nazi movement.
Hi this is a question we were given to answer and I'm having trouble with how to structure each paragraph. Do I do one problem and then how it lead to the success in the same paragraph or should i talk about them in separate paragraphs e.g. The Weimar government's inability to properly gain the loyalty and support of the primarily right wing army allowed Hitler to utilise the army in 1933 in order to abolish the role of presidency
Or should I do separate paragraphs: The Weimar government failed to retain the support of the workers and middle classes during the Great Depression. (in one paragraph) and then in another paragraph: The Nazi regime's effective use of propaganda and radical views meant that during the Great Depression they were able to gain the majority vote?

Any other pieces of advice on how to answer this question would also be greatly appreciated thank you in advanced :)

Hey! My general advice for questions like this is to always break it up into political, social and economic reasons for the failures of the Weimar Republic. Within that, you can include any details/examples you wish (such as those stated above); however, it gives you the ability to bring together three, often somewhat distinct, thesis'. This question is bloody tough, though; usually, it just wants you to assess the failures of the Weimar Republic, or the account for the rise of the Nazi party. This question wants you to do both!

So, I would be careful with this essay. Say we were looking at the Economic paragraph; not only would you have to discuss reasons for economic failure (eg. do away with the impact of restitution, as Germany paid barely anything, but place more importance on loans and the Great Depression), but you'd also have to link that to the rise of the Nazi party (economic hardships tend to bring people more inline with conservative/utterly insane parties?). Same goes for political/social. I think it's really important you have a thesis and an essay plan BEFORE writing this essay, as thinking about it now, it is genuinely a tough one. Write one up, and I'd love to have a look at it!

Jake
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

Diala

• Adventurer
« Reply #384 on: June 08, 2017, 06:41:53 pm »
Would you say Speer acquiesced to alter his architectural style to win Hitler’s favour because he craved his father's attention as a child? I initally thought that Hitler was kind of strung along by Speer since he was able to exercise his own style and decisions as his architect. On top of that, Hitler seemed quite infatuated with Speer. I'm not sure! What's your opinion?

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #385 on: June 08, 2017, 06:50:29 pm »
+1
Would you say Speer acquiesced to alter his architectural style to win Hitler’s favour because he craved his father's attention as a child? I initally thought that Hitler was kind of strung along by Speer since he was able to exercise his own style and decisions as his architect. On top of that, Hitler seemed quite infatuated with Speer. I'm not sure! What's your opinion?

Like, honestly, I think it's a bit... unsophisticated? to look at Speer through a Freudian lens, which is essentially what you (and many others) have proposed. Forget Speer's father; look at Hitler's ideology, Speer's talent, the world that they envisaged and built together. Speer was an idealistic technocrat, looking for any excuse to expand his power. He was not trying to impress some father figure.

Hitler and Speer were known to be very close; most obviously indicated in the impossibly important position Speer occupied during the war as Minister for Armaments. For a History essay, it is important you stay away from pseudo-psychology. Stick to the facts, and to the sources. No need to delve into queer-theory, Freudian analysis, or Speer's lust for familial relations :)

bellerina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #386 on: June 09, 2017, 07:29:34 pm »
What is the recommended amount of past papers i should do (per section) before trials

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #387 on: June 10, 2017, 12:34:19 am »
What is the recommended amount of past papers i should do (per section) before trials
As many as possible. Like theres no set amount. I did 21 practice responses (cos I'm a nerd) and got 95 for trials. My friend did 2 full papers and got 93. I know this probably isn't the simple, straight forward answer that you want, but it really is up to you, and when you feel like you understand the content/form of the exam :) But as many as you possibly can, in the time that you have, while still focusing on other subjects/not dying of stress. Make sure that you get someone to look over them as well (e.g. me on the marking thread for example ;) )!

bellerina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #388 on: June 10, 2017, 12:46:18 pm »
+1
I want to do as many as possible just so i get a hang of writing history essays and am confident enough when I get into that exam! And I shall send you as many as I can! But how many am I allowed to?

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #389 on: June 10, 2017, 12:52:34 pm »
+1
I want to do as many as possible just so i get a hang of writing history essays and am confident enough when I get into that exam! And I shall send you as many as I can! But how many am I allowed to?

Hey! We have a 15 post policy; for every 15 posts you make (answering/asking questions on other boards etc) you can get one essay marked :) So better make those essays count!