Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 05:31:58 pm

Author Topic: HSC Modern History Question Thread  (Read 350522 times)  Share 

mixel

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +33
Re: Modern History Question Thread
« Reply #540 on: July 18, 2017, 08:37:01 pm »
Hey! I definitely think that it is a good idea to be practicing essays under timed conditions! I did a mix of open book and closed book (exam conditions) last year. It is very easy to write too much in a modern history essay, so practicing in the time you have (like in an exam) will give you a good indication of how much you can squeeze in, and whether or not you need to work on being more concise :) I especially think that it is important to do Section III under timed conditions at least once, because in my opinion that is the easiest Section to go over time with!

Susie

Thanks! Did you find that open book slowed you down under timed conditions, or is the amount of time you'd spend finding information not much of a worry because you presumably wouldn't need to spend as long planning and stuff if it's open book?
HSC 2017 subjects
Biology, Economics, English Advanced, English EXT1, English EXT2, General Maths, Modern History

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #541 on: July 18, 2017, 09:43:48 pm »
+3
Thanks! Did you find that open book slowed you down under timed conditions, or is the amount of time you'd spend finding information not much of a worry because you presumably wouldn't need to spend as long planning and stuff if it's open book?
I didn't do open book essays under timed conditions. Open book served a different purpose - Open book was for studying then and there, so while writing up responses I'd be looking up stats, quotes, other detail, etc. etc., whereas doing papers under exam conditions it was purely to test my knowledge (and my handwriting tbh) - see where the gaps where that I needed to fill in! :)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

mixel

• Forum Regular
« Reply #542 on: July 19, 2017, 01:20:42 pm »
+1
Some quick questions on section 3:

1) is it possible or advisable to prepare generic responses for narrative style questions on part A? I can see the potential variation in sectional questions but if narrative questions are all sourced from the background and historical context ot the personality, why not prepare a response or two that accounts for what little variation they could have?

2) is there a good way to be selective about the details we include and arguments we use to keep to the time limit? Or is it better to try to cram in as much detail as possible? Because I've only attempted one full section 3 so far with no time limit and open book and it probably took me over an hour to complete.

3) in part B, should we write the entire thing from the focus of one specific significance evaluation dot point about the personality? Should we instead write each paragraph on one specific evaluation and use evidence from over their entire lives? Or is it the other way around, should we write paragraphs about a certain event in their life and then explain that event's significance in an overall evaluation of the personality?

So for example, if I were writing a part B response on evaluations of Speer, would I have a paragraph each on 'the Good Nazi', 'apolitical technocrat' and 'master schemer' evaluations using evidence from events in his life; or would I write paragraphs on events like the use of forced labour with explanations kf the good nazi, apolitical technocrat and master schemer interpretations of that event.

Thanks  :)
HSC 2017 subjects
Biology, Economics, English Advanced, English EXT1, English EXT2, General Maths, Modern History

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #543 on: July 19, 2017, 07:44:37 pm »
+3
Some quick questions on section 3:
And here are some quick answers on section 3  ;)

1) is it possible or advisable to prepare generic responses for narrative style questions on part A? I can see the potential variation in sectional questions but if narrative questions are all sourced from the background and historical context ot the personality, why not prepare a response or two that accounts for what little variation they could have?
Yes. I believe that you can. Obviously be prepared to potentially change your structure if they throw a curve ball question (especially in trials, where they have a bit more room to move around than in the actual HSC which is a bit more strict), but you could definitely prepare a generic response - I did :) If you are going to, this would be the question I'd use: "Outline the historical context, background and rise to prominence of the personality you studied". That will cover everything, as a narrative outline style question will always include verbatim the syllabus dot points, its just whether they include all of them or just some of them. So if you use that question, but then in the HSC its just background and rise to prominence, you can skip the historical context part! Easy peasy :)

2) is there a good way to be selective about the details we include and arguments we use to keep to the time limit? Or is it better to try to cram in as much detail as possible? Because I've only attempted one full section 3 so far with no time limit and open book and it probably took me over an hour to complete.
Hmmmmmm tricky question. You really should be trying to cram in as much as you can, because detail really is what makes a modern history response shine - particularly in Section III part A, which as it is not meant to be analytical, is meant to demonstrate your in depth understanding instead. That being said, you do need to be selective, because you do only have a limited amount of time. I recommend sticking to detail that is short and sweet, rather than detail that takes a long time to explain. So stats, specific terminology and names is better than say really long quotes (though short, punchy quotes are of course still a great inclusion!). However, either way you'll still probably go over time, as it is sooooo hard to not! Even my teacher struggled. I'd preemptively plan to sacrifice a bit of time in WW1, to devote to Section III :)

3) in part B, should we write the entire thing from the focus of one specific significance evaluation dot point about the personality? Should we instead write each paragraph on one specific evaluation and use evidence from over their entire lives? Or is it the other way around, should we write paragraphs about a certain event in their life and then explain that event's significance in an overall evaluation of the personality?

So for example, if I were writing a part B response on evaluations of Speer, would I have a paragraph each on 'the Good Nazi', 'apolitical technocrat' and 'master schemer' evaluations using evidence from events in his life; or would I write paragraphs on events like the use of forced labour with explanations kf the good nazi, apolitical technocrat and master schemer interpretations of that event.

Personally I prefer and used the second structure that you mentioned, however by no means does that mean that the other way is wrong, it just isn't what I personally would have done. What I did, is I took the debate for Trotsky (if it was an interpretations question), and demonstrated how this debate was relevant to three key events within Trotsky's life :)

Hope this helps,

Susie

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

olr1999

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Trinity Anglican College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #544 on: July 19, 2017, 07:53:01 pm »
Hi! I have an assessment coming up and need to prepare for this essay:
'Evaluate the effectiveness of the strategies and tactics used by the opposing sides during the Second Indochina War'
For those studying Indochina, I'm wondering about how I might split my paragraphs...
Thank you in advance!

mixel

• Forum Regular
« Reply #545 on: July 19, 2017, 07:54:40 pm »
Spoiler
And here are some quick answers on section 3  ;)
Yes. I believe that you can. Obviously be prepared to potentially change your structure if they throw a curve ball question (especially in trials, where they have a bit more room to move around than in the actual HSC which is a bit more strict), but you could definitely prepare a generic response - I did :) If you are going to, this would be the question I'd use: "Outline the historical context, background and rise to prominence of the personality you studied". That will cover everything, as a narrative outline style question will always include verbatim the syllabus dot points, its just whether they include all of them or just some of them. So if you use that question, but then in the HSC its just background and rise to prominence, you can skip the historical context part! Easy peasy :)
Hmmmmmm tricky question. You really should be trying to cram in as much as you can, because detail really is what makes a modern history response shine - particularly in Section III part A, which as it is not meant to be analytical, is meant to demonstrate your in depth understanding instead. That being said, you do need to be selective, because you do only have a limited amount of time. I recommend sticking to detail that is short and sweet, rather than detail that takes a long time to explain. So stats, specific terminology and names is better than say really long quotes (though short, punchy quotes are of course still a great inclusion!). However, either way you'll still probably go over time, as it is sooooo hard to not! Even my teacher struggled. I'd preemptively plan to sacrifice a bit of time in WW1, to devote to Section III :)
Personally I prefer and used the second structure that you mentioned, however by no means does that mean that the other way is wrong, it just isn't what I personally would have done. What I did, is I took the debate for Trotsky (if it was an interpretations question), and demonstrated how this debate was relevant to three key events within Trotsky's life :)

Hope this helps,

Susie

Thanks! Is there any reason to do the exam in order? Because writing section 3 in between two essays seems like it'd feel weird.
HSC 2017 subjects

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #546 on: July 19, 2017, 08:06:24 pm »
+2
Thanks! Is there any reason to do the exam in order? Because writing section 3 in between two essays seems like it'd feel weird.
I personally did the exam in order for the HSC, but for Trials I did Section III last. Typically my order was WW1 first (because I think it sets you up quite nicely, plus as you'll probably finish early its a good confidence boost), then section I was most confident with (usually national study), to least confident with :)

mixel

• Forum Regular
« Reply #547 on: July 20, 2017, 12:06:56 am »
Hey, could somebody mark this short answer for me out of 8 marks? Sorry if this isn't the place to request it, but I figured it doesn't belong in essay marking because it's only one SA question

Also, actual question about it, was I wrong to focus on innovations in weaponry? I was under the assumption that they were part of the same syllabus dot point and I thought that by explaining them in relation to their strategic use it would be responding to the question, but in hindsight I'm not so sure.

Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxkd0zlj0z6cyuk/2014%20MH%20S1%2019-Jul.-2017%2023-50-42.pdf?dl=0
HSC 2017 subjects

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #548 on: July 20, 2017, 12:33:40 am »
+2
Hey, could somebody mark this short answer for me out of 8 marks? Sorry if this isn't the place to request it, but I figured it doesn't belong in essay marking because it's only one SA question

Also, actual question about it, was I wrong to focus on innovations in weaponry? I was under the assumption that they were part of the same syllabus dot point and I thought that by explaining them in relation to their strategic use it would be responding to the question, but in hindsight I'm not so sure.

Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxkd0zlj0z6cyuk/2014%20MH%20S1%2019-Jul.-2017%2023-50-42.pdf?dl=0
Hey mixel! Lucky you, caught me right before I was heading to bed ;)

Here are my thoughts:
- Where are the sources? I'm going to assume that they were under copyright and you couldn't use them, just because if you don't integrate the sources in the actual exam, you will get hammered.
- Great detail, though you could potentially push it a little bit further (but I say that with everyone - can never have too much ;) )
- You touched on a lot, but a more specific reference to bombardment and over-the-top attack, as they are key features of this syllabus dot point, along with a mention of how they were used in Verdun and Passchendaele (you mention the Somme already).

But overall a great response :) I'd probs give it 6-7/8 :)

mixel

• Forum Regular
« Reply #549 on: July 20, 2017, 12:59:44 am »
Hey mixel! Lucky you, caught me right before I was heading to bed ;)

Here are my thoughts:
- Where are the sources? I'm going to assume that they were under copyright and you couldn't use them, just because if you don't integrate the sources in the actual exam, you will get hammered.
- Great detail, though you could potentially push it a little bit further (but I say that with everyone - can never have too much ;) )
- You touched on a lot, but a more specific reference to bombardment and over-the-top attack, as they are key features of this syllabus dot point, along with a mention of how they were used in Verdun and Passchendaele (you mention the Somme already).

But overall a great response :) I'd probs give it 6-7/8 :)

Thanks! And no, the sources weren't under copyright, I was just an idiot and forgot that literally every question I've ever done like that needed mention of the sources  ::)
HSC 2017 subjects

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #550 on: July 20, 2017, 11:41:31 am »
Hey guys,
Just going back to the Foreign Policy question, I'm planning out exactly what I will write in terms of Japan. You were mentioning structuring the essay thematically ie. political, social, economic Susie. So the foreign policy I have so far as examples is: the invasion of China (Nanjing), the Tripartite Pact and the proclamations of New Order in East Asia and the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere (GEACPS). I am just a bit confused about which fits into what category as for example, the GEACPS was very much influenced by nationalism and imperial desires.
Secondly, with regards to American/British Foreign Policy, would I also include in my argument (since the question is about how the factors I discuss led to tensions and eventually war) an investigation as I reveal aspects of its foreign policy as to whether it was justified (an understandable reaction/protection of its own interests in the face of Japanese aggression) or whether it unnecessarily added to tensions?
Also just on a side note, in a trial or HSC essay if I write Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere (GEACPS) can I then refer to it as GEACPS?
Thanks heaps, much appreciated :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 11:45:09 am by dancing phalanges »
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #551 on: July 20, 2017, 12:38:17 pm »
Hey guys,
Just going back to the Foreign Policy question, I'm planning out exactly what I will write in terms of Japan. You were mentioning structuring the essay thematically ie. political, social, economic Susie. So the foreign policy I have so far as examples is: the invasion of China (Nanjing), the Tripartite Pact and the proclamations of New Order in East Asia and the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere (GEACPS). I am just a bit confused about which fits into what category as for example, the GEACPS was very much influenced by nationalism and imperial desires.
Secondly, with regards to American/British Foreign Policy, would I also include in my argument (since the question is about how the factors I discuss led to tensions and eventually war) an investigation as I reveal aspects of its foreign policy as to whether it was justified (an understandable reaction/protection of its own interests in the face of Japanese aggression) or whether it unnecessarily added to tensions?
Also just on a side note, in a trial or HSC essay if I write Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere (GEACPS) can I then refer to it as GEACPS?
Thanks heaps, much appreciated :)
Hey! Awesome, love that you are considering giving a thematic structure a go. Even if you end up liking the other structure better, always good to have this essay form in your arsenal :) Though political, social and economic are definitely the most commonly used themes, if you find it easier militaristic/strategic, ideological and cultural also count as themes too! I actually think a few of your examples might work better with these; for example I'd venture a guess and say that the invasion of China would be an example for a militaristic/strategic paragraph! I'd assume that the proclamation of New Order in East Asia would be political and/or social, and the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere (GEACPS) would be political (and maybe economic, if it included aspects of trade). However of course as I didn't study this, take these suggestions with a grain of salt.

In terms of your second question - I think it is fine to include it, but try to steer away from morality (ie. don't say this was morally good or morally bad). I think saying that it was inevitable, or a reasonable reaction however is fine :) And yes, as long as in your introduction you use the full title, you can definitely refer to the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere as GEACPS :)

Just because foreign policy questions in particular have been being asked quite a lot recently, for multiple case studies, within the spoiler I have included one of my essays on Soviet Foreign Policy, to hopefully indicate the way I structured my responses :)

Spoiler
How successful was Soviet foreign policy in achieving its aims from 1917 to 1941?

The incompatibility of the key aims of Soviet foreign policy – domestic stability and international revolution – greatly limited its accomplishments, as the promotion of one aim effectively reduced the opportunity for the other, and thus it is clear that Soviet foreign policy was only partially successful in achieving its aims from 1917 to 1941. Though the aims and purposes of Soviet foreign policy fluctuated depending upon the current leadership of the Bolsheviks Party and the changing domestic and international tensions, it is evident that the goals of domestic socio-political stability and a worldwide socialist revolution remained significant, thus projecting the Soviet Union into an internal conflict between pragmatism and ideological adherence. Though initially the principle aim appeared to be the promotion of a global socialist revolution, as dictated by the Bolshevik ideological position of Permanent Revolution, it is clear through the increasing implementation of self-preservationist policies throughout the period that the Bolsheviks aim of survival outweighed their desire to spread socialism. This is evident through the various militaristic/strategic, economic, diplomatic and socio-cultural factors that impacted or were impacted by soviet foreign policy between 1917 to 1941, which dictated its success.

It is evident through the the militaristic and strategic foreign policies implemented from 1917 to 1941 that the aims of the Soviet Union had shifted towards the consolidation and preservation of the Bolshevik state rather than the expansion of their ideology, thus it is clear through being forced to forgo certain key aims that soviet foreign policy was only partially successful. Despite Permanent Revolution, the official party policy of the Bolsheviks requiring an international revolution in order to succeed, the primary concerns after the 1917 Revolution was the consolidation of their power within Russia. The political climate was still largely unstable, therefore the Bolsheviks had to immediately return upon their promises of “Peace. Bread. Land,” in order to consolidate their power, the peace component of which had a significant impact upon soviet foreign policy through the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk, as it ensured their exit from the increasingly unpopular international conflict World War I. The signing of the Treaty demonstrates the shift in strategic foreign policy focus from ideological adherence to pragmatism, as it signified the abandonment of the Permanent Revolution principles and their aim of an international socialist revolution in order to achieve domestic stability and the survival of the Bolshevik state. This shift was further demonstrated through the Soviets contradictory (in regards to their ideology) support of the leftist parties within the Spanish Civil War in order to prevent a socialist revolution within Spain, aiding the Republicans with materials, arms and over 2000 Russian citizens as soldiers due to their fears that increased instability would enable the rise and spread of German fascism within the region, which would pose a significant domestic security threat. Along with this, the Soviets under Stalin endeavoured to maintain an alliance with the Nationalists in China, due to his belief that the Chinese Communists were too few to achieve anything, which further demonstrates the Bolshevik governments willingness to forgo ideology in favour of more pragmatic foreign policy. Therefore, through the various strategic and militaristic foreign policies implemented by the Bolshevik Party, it is clear that though successful in regards to the preservation of the Bolshevik state, soviet foreign policy was unsuccessful in instigating an international revolution, and therefore was only partially successful in achieving its aims from 1917 to 1941.

It is evident through the economic and diplomatic foreign policies implemented by the Bolsheviks Party between 1917 and 1941 that the Soviet leaders main concern was the survival of the Bolshevik state rather than the spread of socialism, and thus attempted through economic means to reduce hostilities and tensions between themselves and their capitalist neighbours. Despite the Soviets aims and predictions of a world revolution, this did not occur, and thus the Bolshevik Government, which had been, during the time, producing highly critical assessments upon the opposing ideology of capitalism both through policy and the media now found themselves surrounded by capitalist neighbours, Lynch stating “The Soviet Union’s often antagonistic behaviour towards the capitalist countries frequently produced counter blasts … [meaning] that international tension never wholly slackened”. This is evident through the continued poor relations between Russia and post-war Germany, which banned the Communist Party in 1919, and the assessments from other nations leaders, such as British Prime Minister Winston Churchill who described communism as “not a policy, it is a disease.” Thus in order to reduce tension and hostilities amongst their capitalist neighbours, the Bolshevik government entered into various Trade agreements during the 1920s that ensured the peaceful co-existence of the two opposing ideologies. A number of capitalist countries entered into these trade agreements with the USSR, such as Italy, Germany and Britain (The Anglo-Soviet Trade Agreement). Along with this, Russia became involved within various international diplomatic organisations and agreements, evident through there admittance into the League of Nations in 1934, and the Rapallo Treaty, which was highly significant in reducing the tensions between the Soviets and Germany, as it signified the relinquishing of territorial and financial claims against each other, thus easing the pressures of the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk, with the aim to “co-operate in a spirit of goodwill in meeting the economic needs of both countries.” Though this increased cooperation with Germany had a positive impact upon the security and consolidation of the Bolshevik state, a destabilised Germany was far more likely to fall to a socialist revolution, and thus it is evident that the Bolsheviks prioritized self-preservation over the aim of worldwide revolution. Therefore, through the various economic and diplomatic foreign policies implemented by the Bolshevik party, it is clear that though successful in regards to the preservation of the Bolshevik state through the reduction of hostilities and tensions, soviet foreign policy was unsuccessful in instigating an international revolution, and therefore was only partially successful in achieving its aims from 1917 to 1941. The aim to survive through a reduction in tensions within the capitalist neighbour was further demonstrated through their implementation of diplomatic foreign policy.

Through the failures of various revolutionary socio-cultural foreign policies implemented by the Bolshevik party between 1917 and 1941, it is evident that soviet foreign policy was ineffective in achieving an international revolution, and thus, despite it’s self-preservationist success, was only partially successful in achieving its aims from 1917 to 1941. Early forms of soviet foreign policy, particularly under the leadership of Lenin, greatly focused upon the ideologically based aim of promoting an international socialist revolution. This is evident through the 1919 creation of the Communist International (also known as the Comintern), which had the revolutionary task of promoting and co-ordinating the communist parties of the world in an effort to advocate a global communist system. This is evident through their aim to “overthrow … the international bourgeoisie and for the creation of an international Soviet republic,” and the formation of the United Front, whereby communists propose to fight alongside non-communist workers in a “common struggle to defend … the working class against the bourgeoisie.” However, after a failed attempt to start a world revolution through the Polish invasion of Russia, the Comintern realised that peaceful coexistence with Europe was the only option, with Lynch stating that “between 1918 and 1920 … the Comintern was concerned sole with safeguarding the interests of Soviet Russia.” This preoccupation with the interests of Russia was continued under the soviet foreign policy actions of Stalin, with Lynch stating that “he set himself the primary task of defending his country’s interests in a hostile world,” and thus ordered the Comintern to cease appeals for global revolution due to the fact that after joining the League of Nations in 1934 Russia now had non-communist allies, and that no communist-inspired revolts had actually succeeded anywhere in the world at that time. Therefore, through the various attempts and failures to instigate effective revolutionary socio-cultural foreign policies, it is evident that soviet foreign policy, despite it’s self-preservationist success, was only partially successful in achieving its aims from 1917 to 1941.

Therefore, it is evident through the various socio-cultural, diplomatic, economic and militaristic/strategic factors that soviet foreign policy was successful in ensuring the survival of the Bolshevik state, however at the expense of their other principle aim – the promotion of an international socialist revolution. Thus, it is evident that soviet foreign policy was only partially successful in achieving its aims from 1917 to 1941, as the incompatibility between their pragmatic aim of stability and ideological aim of international revolution meant that they could only focus upon one aspect of their aims while forgoing the other. 

mixel

• Forum Regular
« Reply #552 on: July 20, 2017, 01:14:18 pm »
Hi all,

If we're trying to decide between two essay questions in an exam that we are similarly competent in, how should we decide? Is it a good idea to pick the question that supports a thematic structure over a factors or syllabus structure, on the assumption that it allows more depth of argument? Or is that an incorrect assumption?

HSC 2017 subjects

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #553 on: July 20, 2017, 01:22:45 pm »
+1
Hi all,

If we're trying to decide between two essay questions in an exam that we are similarly competent in, how should we decide? Is it a good idea to pick the question that supports a thematic structure over a factors or syllabus structure, on the assumption that it allows more depth of argument? Or is that an incorrect assumption?

You pick the question that you are most confident/comfortable answering :) There is no structure that is better than another - ie. you'll never get marked down for not doing a thematic structure. Thematic structures are just another way to answer the question. Someone could write a syllabus essay or a factors essay, and still get a much higher mark than someone doing a thematic essay and vice versa :) In the HSC I wrote a thematic essay for the national study, a syllabus essay for the personality study, and a factors essay for the international study :) It's whatever is easiest for you to construct in that moment.

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #554 on: July 20, 2017, 06:26:53 pm »
+1
Spoiler
Hey! Awesome, love that you are considering giving a thematic structure a go. Even if you end up liking the other structure better, always good to have this essay form in your arsenal :) Though political, social and economic are definitely the most commonly used themes, if you find it easier militaristic/strategic, ideological and cultural also count as themes too! I actually think a few of your examples might work better with these; for example I'd venture a guess and say that the invasion of China would be an example for a militaristic/strategic paragraph! I'd assume that the proclamation of New Order in East Asia would be political and/or social, and the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere (GEACPS) would be political (and maybe economic, if it included aspects of trade). However of course as I didn't study this, take these suggestions with a grain of salt.

In terms of your second question - I think it is fine to include it, but try to steer away from morality (ie. don't say this was morally good or morally bad). I think saying that it was inevitable, or a reasonable reaction however is fine :) And yes, as long as in your introduction you use the full title, you can definitely refer to the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere as GEACPS :)

Just because foreign policy questions in particular have been being asked quite a lot recently, for multiple case studies, within the spoiler I have included one of my essays on Soviet Foreign Policy, to hopefully indicate the way I structured my responses :)

Spoiler
How successful was Soviet foreign policy in achieving its aims from 1917 to 1941?

The incompatibility of the key aims of Soviet foreign policy – domestic stability and international revolution – greatly limited its accomplishments, as the promotion of one aim effectively reduced the opportunity for the other, and thus it is clear that Soviet foreign policy was only partially successful in achieving its aims from 1917 to 1941. Though the aims and purposes of Soviet foreign policy fluctuated depending upon the current leadership of the Bolsheviks Party and the changing domestic and international tensions, it is evident that the goals of domestic socio-political stability and a worldwide socialist revolution remained significant, thus projecting the Soviet Union into an internal conflict between pragmatism and ideological adherence. Though initially the principle aim appeared to be the promotion of a global socialist revolution, as dictated by the Bolshevik ideological position of Permanent Revolution, it is clear through the increasing implementation of self-preservationist policies throughout the period that the Bolsheviks aim of survival outweighed their desire to spread socialism. This is evident through the various militaristic/strategic, economic, diplomatic and socio-cultural factors that impacted or were impacted by soviet foreign policy between 1917 to 1941, which dictated its success.

It is evident through the the militaristic and strategic foreign policies implemented from 1917 to 1941 that the aims of the Soviet Union had shifted towards the consolidation and preservation of the Bolshevik state rather than the expansion of their ideology, thus it is clear through being forced to forgo certain key aims that soviet foreign policy was only partially successful. Despite Permanent Revolution, the official party policy of the Bolsheviks requiring an international revolution in order to succeed, the primary concerns after the 1917 Revolution was the consolidation of their power within Russia. The political climate was still largely unstable, therefore the Bolsheviks had to immediately return upon their promises of “Peace. Bread. Land,” in order to consolidate their power, the peace component of which had a significant impact upon soviet foreign policy through the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk, as it ensured their exit from the increasingly unpopular international conflict World War I. The signing of the Treaty demonstrates the shift in strategic foreign policy focus from ideological adherence to pragmatism, as it signified the abandonment of the Permanent Revolution principles and their aim of an international socialist revolution in order to achieve domestic stability and the survival of the Bolshevik state. This shift was further demonstrated through the Soviets contradictory (in regards to their ideology) support of the leftist parties within the Spanish Civil War in order to prevent a socialist revolution within Spain, aiding the Republicans with materials, arms and over 2000 Russian citizens as soldiers due to their fears that increased instability would enable the rise and spread of German fascism within the region, which would pose a significant domestic security threat. Along with this, the Soviets under Stalin endeavoured to maintain an alliance with the Nationalists in China, due to his belief that the Chinese Communists were too few to achieve anything, which further demonstrates the Bolshevik governments willingness to forgo ideology in favour of more pragmatic foreign policy. Therefore, through the various strategic and militaristic foreign policies implemented by the Bolshevik Party, it is clear that though successful in regards to the preservation of the Bolshevik state, soviet foreign policy was unsuccessful in instigating an international revolution, and therefore was only partially successful in achieving its aims from 1917 to 1941.

It is evident through the economic and diplomatic foreign policies implemented by the Bolsheviks Party between 1917 and 1941 that the Soviet leaders main concern was the survival of the Bolshevik state rather than the spread of socialism, and thus attempted through economic means to reduce hostilities and tensions between themselves and their capitalist neighbours. Despite the Soviets aims and predictions of a world revolution, this did not occur, and thus the Bolshevik Government, which had been, during the time, producing highly critical assessments upon the opposing ideology of capitalism both through policy and the media now found themselves surrounded by capitalist neighbours, Lynch stating “The Soviet Union’s often antagonistic behaviour towards the capitalist countries frequently produced counter blasts … [meaning] that international tension never wholly slackened”. This is evident through the continued poor relations between Russia and post-war Germany, which banned the Communist Party in 1919, and the assessments from other nations leaders, such as British Prime Minister Winston Churchill who described communism as “not a policy, it is a disease.” Thus in order to reduce tension and hostilities amongst their capitalist neighbours, the Bolshevik government entered into various Trade agreements during the 1920s that ensured the peaceful co-existence of the two opposing ideologies. A number of capitalist countries entered into these trade agreements with the USSR, such as Italy, Germany and Britain (The Anglo-Soviet Trade Agreement). Along with this, Russia became involved within various international diplomatic organisations and agreements, evident through there admittance into the League of Nations in 1934, and the Rapallo Treaty, which was highly significant in reducing the tensions between the Soviets and Germany, as it signified the relinquishing of territorial and financial claims against each other, thus easing the pressures of the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk, with the aim to “co-operate in a spirit of goodwill in meeting the economic needs of both countries.” Though this increased cooperation with Germany had a positive impact upon the security and consolidation of the Bolshevik state, a destabilised Germany was far more likely to fall to a socialist revolution, and thus it is evident that the Bolsheviks prioritized self-preservation over the aim of worldwide revolution. Therefore, through the various economic and diplomatic foreign policies implemented by the Bolshevik party, it is clear that though successful in regards to the preservation of the Bolshevik state through the reduction of hostilities and tensions, soviet foreign policy was unsuccessful in instigating an international revolution, and therefore was only partially successful in achieving its aims from 1917 to 1941. The aim to survive through a reduction in tensions within the capitalist neighbour was further demonstrated through their implementation of diplomatic foreign policy.

Through the failures of various revolutionary socio-cultural foreign policies implemented by the Bolshevik party between 1917 and 1941, it is evident that soviet foreign policy was ineffective in achieving an international revolution, and thus, despite it’s self-preservationist success, was only partially successful in achieving its aims from 1917 to 1941. Early forms of soviet foreign policy, particularly under the leadership of Lenin, greatly focused upon the ideologically based aim of promoting an international socialist revolution. This is evident through the 1919 creation of the Communist International (also known as the Comintern), which had the revolutionary task of promoting and co-ordinating the communist parties of the world in an effort to advocate a global communist system. This is evident through their aim to “overthrow … the international bourgeoisie and for the creation of an international Soviet republic,” and the formation of the United Front, whereby communists propose to fight alongside non-communist workers in a “common struggle to defend … the working class against the bourgeoisie.” However, after a failed attempt to start a world revolution through the Polish invasion of Russia, the Comintern realised that peaceful coexistence with Europe was the only option, with Lynch stating that “between 1918 and 1920 … the Comintern was concerned sole with safeguarding the interests of Soviet Russia.” This preoccupation with the interests of Russia was continued under the soviet foreign policy actions of Stalin, with Lynch stating that “he set himself the primary task of defending his country’s interests in a hostile world,” and thus ordered the Comintern to cease appeals for global revolution due to the fact that after joining the League of Nations in 1934 Russia now had non-communist allies, and that no communist-inspired revolts had actually succeeded anywhere in the world at that time. Therefore, through the various attempts and failures to instigate effective revolutionary socio-cultural foreign policies, it is evident that soviet foreign policy, despite it’s self-preservationist success, was only partially successful in achieving its aims from 1917 to 1941.

Therefore, it is evident through the various socio-cultural, diplomatic, economic and militaristic/strategic factors that soviet foreign policy was successful in ensuring the survival of the Bolshevik state, however at the expense of their other principle aim – the promotion of an international socialist revolution. Thus, it is evident that soviet foreign policy was only partially successful in achieving its aims from 1917 to 1941, as the incompatibility between their pragmatic aim of stability and ideological aim of international revolution meant that they could only focus upon one aspect of their aims while forgoing the other. 

Thank you so much Susie. This is so helpful! :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!