Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 06:33:17 pm

Author Topic: HSC Modern History Question Thread  (Read 350533 times)  Share 

tahliamag

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Modern History Question Thread
« Reply #555 on: July 20, 2017, 06:34:20 pm »
Hey,
This is kind of a weird request but I was wondering if anyone who is particularly good at WW1 content might be able to look at my multiple choice answers for the 2012 Knox trial -
(http://www.acehsc.net/wp-content/uploads/TrialPapers/2012/Modern%20History/2012%20Modern%20History%20-%20Knox%20Trial%20without%20Solutions.pdf)
and 2010 St Augustine Trial -
(http://www.acehsc.net/wp-content/uploads/TrialPapers/2010/Modern%20History/2010%20Modern%20History%20-%20St%20Augustines%20Trial%20with%20Solutions.pdf)

Thank you!! I haven't been able to find the solutions anywhere so if anyone could help out that would be great!! My answers are::
Knox
1. C
2. B
3. D
4. C
6. A
8. B
St Augustine
1. C
2. B
3. A
5. C
6. C
8. A

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #556 on: July 20, 2017, 07:10:36 pm »
+2
Hey,
This is kind of a weird request but I was wondering if anyone who is particularly good at WW1 content might be able to look at my multiple choice answers for the 2012 Knox trial -
(http://www.acehsc.net/wp-content/uploads/TrialPapers/2012/Modern%20History/2012%20Modern%20History%20-%20Knox%20Trial%20without%20Solutions.pdf)
(http://www.acehsc.net/wp-content/uploads/TrialPapers/2010/Modern%20History/2010%20Modern%20History%20-%20St%20Augustines%20Trial%20with%20Solutions.pdf)

Thank you!! I haven't been able to find the solutions anywhere so if anyone could help out that would be great!! My answers are::
Knox
1. C
2. B
3. D
4. C
6. A
8. B
St Augustine
1. C
2. B
3. A
5. C
6. C
8. A

Hey I'm sure Susie or Jake can help you but I'll have a go too for my own benefit and yours too to see if we get the same answers :)
Knox
1.C
2. B
3. D
4. C
6. A
8. B
Augustines
1. C
2. B (I'm personally very confused by this. I thought D was wrong as it says Snow falls and battle ends 3 miles short of Allied objectives for the first day. At first, I thought it was only referring to the aims of the first day. However, I am almost certain that the Somme did end in November and during snowfall so hence I put D for that one. Now after looking at it again I think you may be right, the wording is just tripping me up but if it ended 3 miles short of allied objectives that still probably means they did make some ground so in that case I'll make a cheeky switch :P)
3. B (I put this because I interpreted the source as to express that Allied success was slowed down by the weather (reap the full benefits of the advantages we had gained) but it did not fail per say in my opinion as they defeated the Germans and "the advantages we had gained" further suggests they did not fail. However, I also thought D could be an answer but I believe B best summarises it.)
5. C
6. C
8. A

So looks like we got mainly the same answers! I guess we will wait for Susie or Jake to give their opinions on questions 2 and 3 :) of course, unless we have both got other ones wrong haha
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:38:34 pm by dancing phalanges »
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

mixel

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #557 on: July 20, 2017, 07:19:14 pm »
+2
Hey,

Knox
1. C
2. B
3. D
4. C
6. A
8. B
St Augustine
1. C
2. B
3. A
5. C
6. C
8. A

Hey, I had the same answers as you for every question except for St. Augustine's 3 and Knox 8. I chose B for St. Augustine's 3 because the source implies an Allied victory in saying Germany suffered a defeat and claiming "neither the victors nor the vanquished blah blah", and as the Germans are described as having lost, its a reasonable assumption that Allies won, and it claims that "these conditions [rain] multiplied the difficulties of attack", which supports B. For Knox question 8, I actually wasn't sure -- I'm stuck between B and D, because while there's definitely an implication that the home front's support is necessary for victory, it doesn't explicitly say that, nor that the necessity for food for the civilian population is for that reason (just that its a necessity). Because of that I feel like they could try pulling a technicality and saying neither is right, but I wouldn't worry too much because I don't think there's as much ambiguity in HSC multis.
HSC 2017 subjects
Biology, Economics, English Advanced, English EXT1, English EXT2, General Maths, Modern History

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #558 on: July 20, 2017, 07:48:43 pm »
+1
Hey,

Knox
1. C
2. B
3. D
4. C
6. A
8. B
St Augustine
1. C
2. B
3. A
5. C
6. C
8. A

Here are the answers I got :)

Knox
1. C
2. B
3. D
4. C
6. A
8. D - I think. Just because like, they'd need the support of the home front to produce more food under total war... but not 100% sure, as its not explicitly stated in the source. If it's not D, it's B.

St Augustine
1. C
2. Just like you dancing phalanges I'm quite confused - but I think it is B. It's stupidly worded, but I think what the source is trying to say is that essentially over the entire course of the conflict, the Allies didn't even achieve what they aimed to achieve on the first day alone. Like what they expected to accomplish in one day, they didn't even accomplish over the entire Battle of the Somme (does that make sense)? So D is incorrect (according to this logic), as the aim of the objectives for the entire conflict would have been much larger. However, B is still legitimised by the source, as by nature, if they ended 3 miles short of Allied objectives, they must have at least made some, minor progress (and that is corroborated by our own knowledge, which says that the British gained 6 miles during the Battle of the Somme). So yeah - I'm pretty sure it is B, but definitely very confusingly worded!
3. B (I think). Process of elimination here. Though I think A makes some sense, I don't think that the source indicates that they failed, more so they just couldn't utilise their advantages as effectively as they would have liked too. It's not C, because that wasn't a view expressed, just a fact. And it's not D, because D is suggesting that the Germans were disadvantaged by the weather, when in actuality according to the source it "gave them a respite". So yes, I think it is B. Again - tricky question.
5. C
6. C
8. A

Hope this helps! I can't guarantee that these are correct, but these are how I would have answered them. Definitely some very tricky questions here!

Susie
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

tahliamag

• Trailblazer
« Reply #559 on: July 20, 2017, 08:16:36 pm »
+1
Thankyou so much Susie, really appreciate you taking the time out to explain those difficult ones too!! also, your UTS lecture was super helpful and gave some great advice :)))

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #560 on: July 20, 2017, 08:28:56 pm »
+2
Thankyou so much Susie, really appreciate you taking the time out to explain those difficult ones too!! also, your UTS lecture was super helpful and gave some great advice :)))
No worries! Contrary to popular belief, multiple choice questions can actually be really hard, so I want to make sure that I fully explain everything and actually help you understand, rather than just giving you the answer (because I won't be there in the exam to give you the answer, you'll need to be able to do it yourself - which, as you all proved above, you are more than capable of :) ). And thank you!! So glad that you enjoyed :) Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy knowing that you found it helpful <3

Susie

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #561 on: July 21, 2017, 10:42:46 am »
hi guys,

i'm about to write a cold war essay on this question: To what extent did the policy of détente achieve its objectives?

how should i structure this? feeling a bit lost. thanks x
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #562 on: July 21, 2017, 11:05:58 am »
+3
hi guys,

i'm about to write a cold war essay on this question: To what extent did the policy of détente achieve its objectives?

how should i structure this? feeling a bit lost. thanks x

Hey! The way that I structured this essay last year was according to the objectives (so a factors essay!). So I looked at the objectives of Detente, and identified the three most important (imo) - End the threat of nuclear war and improve relations, decrease military spending and repair damaged economies, and end the proliferation of the Cold War. I think assessed to what extent Detente failed in these areas, with my judgement being that though Detente was initially successful, it was overall a failure, as none of these objectives were met (some even got worse!).

Does this make sense? Hope this helps,

Susie

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #563 on: July 21, 2017, 03:48:54 pm »
+1
ahh okay that makes sense, thank you so much!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

_____

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #564 on: July 21, 2017, 10:38:38 pm »
Anyone's school given them the CSSA 2012 paper to try? Don't think it's available online due to their restrictions. For the multiple choice, I had

1. B
2. A
3. D
4. D
6. C
7. B - not sure about this as we didn't learn much about Paul von Hindenburg other than the line of fortifications was named after him. Question for those interested without the paper:

Spoiler
"Using Source D and your own knowledge, which answer BEST describes the unique position of Paul von Hindenburg in 1916?

A: He took control of manufacturing
B: He established the Supreme War Office
C: He was deprived of his position as Chief of Staff
D: He united the Western Front and the Home Front under his leadership"

Obviously not C - source basically says that he became Chief of Staff in 1916 and set up the Supreme War Office which involved further government control of the economy. Don't think it's D as the wording sounds wrong.
8. A

Anyone that's tried it, does that seem mostly right? Thanks!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #565 on: July 22, 2017, 12:43:40 pm »
+1
Anyone's school given them the CSSA 2012 paper to try? Don't think it's available online due to their restrictions. For the multiple choice, I had

1. B
2. A
3. D
4. D
6. C
7. B - not sure about this as we didn't learn much about Paul von Hindenburg other than the line of fortifications was named after him. Question for those interested without the paper:

Spoiler
"Using Source D and your own knowledge, which answer BEST describes the unique position of Paul von Hindenburg in 1916?

A: He took control of manufacturing
B: He established the Supreme War Office
C: He was deprived of his position as Chief of Staff
D: He united the Western Front and the Home Front under his leadership"

Obviously not C - source basically says that he became Chief of Staff in 1916 and set up the Supreme War Office which involved further government control of the economy. Don't think it's D as the wording sounds wrong.
8. A

Anyone that's tried it, does that seem mostly right? Thanks!

did this one a while ago, got the same answers except for #3 i put b? don't know what i was thinking at the time though, d seems like a better fit

_____

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #566 on: July 22, 2017, 02:25:32 pm »
+1
did this one a while ago, got the same answers except for #3 i put b? don't know what i was thinking at the time though, d seems like a better fit

That's great. I looked at 3 again and I'd agree that D is a better fit. Did you do the 2013 one as well? I have it but haven't done it yet, I might post my answers once I get around to it.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #567 on: July 22, 2017, 03:30:27 pm »
+2
That's great. I looked at 3 again and I'd agree that D is a better fit. Did you do the 2013 one as well? I have it but haven't done it yet, I might post my answers once I get around to it.

yep, i've got 2011-15. :)

jelena

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #568 on: July 23, 2017, 04:50:42 pm »
Hello, I am a bit confused because none of my resources really have any relevant and useful information about how D-Day contributed to eventual Allied victory, it's just all about the course of the campaign. Just wondering if anyone has ideas about how to find info on that? Or if anyone could kindly offer info on that? I know generally how it contributed I just don't have any detail, thanks!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #569 on: July 24, 2017, 11:59:47 pm »
Hey Jake and Susie,
Just a question R.E German Foreign Policy and how to answer how successful it was in achieving its aims up to 1939.
How would you guys recommend I structure this essay, it seems as if German Foreign Policy was proving successful until Hitler began to become more daring with his policies, so would you recommend I structure it chronologically?
The other option I could think of was to structure my essay around the aims of German Foreign Policy, which was inherently about territorial expansion and race (if you can suggest any other aims to bring in here that would be great, I know there are small things eg. get rid of privisions of TOV etc)
If you have any other ideas for structure I would appreciate it
Cheers :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!