Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 08:09:26 pm

Author Topic: HSC Modern History Question Thread  (Read 350543 times)  Share 

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
Re: Modern History Question Thread
« Reply #615 on: July 31, 2017, 04:16:29 pm »
pro tip: put a bandaid around your middle finger - kinda acts as padding for your hand ahaha. Especially important if you have a pen with an abrasive grip at the end - I did and my hand was literally bleeding after Ancient, because it cut into my skin. The bandaid tip was something that I did during HSC, and it helped immeasurably :)

Thanks! I'll try it starting tomorrow :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #616 on: July 31, 2017, 04:33:25 pm »
+3
Please don't tell me you memorised all of that  :o :o :o But nevertheless thank you so much! :)

Hey Susie, just with memorising detail, do you think it's fair to spend a lot less time on WW1 as you are given the sources anyway and although you need to show your own knowledge, a lot of what you write is based on what is in the sources? Should I also do a timeline for WW1 to know? Thanks

Mod Edit: Posts merged :)
I didn't memorise all of it! But I did know a great deal, as right before an exam I would look over the whole thing, and look/cover/write/check as much as I could! I also was able to memorise a lot of detail through practice responses.

In terms of a timeline - I really wouldn't bother. Not that important. Good to have in the long term, but with limited amount of time, I'd skip that. In terms of detail for WW1 - I really wouldn't scrimp on it. Though yes, you have sources, the sources aren't always "detailed" + you use detail to back up your understanding of the source. Remember that everyone in the state studies WW1, so it is really important to stand out - and detail is one of the best ways to do that, given that it is not a very "analytical" section.
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #617 on: July 31, 2017, 04:44:38 pm »
I didn't memorise all of it! But I did know a great deal, as right before an exam I would look over the whole thing, and look/cover/write/check as much as I could! I also was able to memorise a lot of detail through practice responses.

In terms of a timeline - I really wouldn't bother. Not that important. Good to have in the long term, but with limited amount of time, I'd skip that. In terms of detail for WW1 - I really wouldn't scrimp on it. Though yes, you have sources, the sources aren't always "detailed" + you use detail to back up your understanding of the source. Remember that everyone in the state studies WW1, so it is really important to stand out - and detail is one of the best ways to do that, given that it is not a very "analytical" section.

Okay thanks I'll try my best! :) I'd be dumb to not listen to someone who ranked 18th in the state ;)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

mixel

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #618 on: July 31, 2017, 05:46:01 pm »
+2
Hey guys, my modern exam is tomorrow and I'm shitting bricks because it's my first exam that actually combines all the sections like a proper hsc exam. I'm in two minds about whether I should do section 1 first or last, because on the one hand I can knock it out quickest and the structure of it with many small questions makes it way more 'rushable' than any other section if I run out of time, but on the other I kind of like the idea of getting it done as fast as possible and having more time for everything else along with a little confidence boost. The few times I've done multiple past paper sections in one sitting, this happened but my concern is that it wont necessarily happen again and I'll either end up with a bad section 1 or having to rush every other section. What should I do?

Does anyone have useful tips and stuff on the exam in general, like how to best utilise reading time or whatever?

Thanks  :)

Also, big congrats to dancing phalanges on getting motm. It's nice to see our modern history commune get recognition  ;D
HSC 2017 subjects
Biology, Economics, English Advanced, English EXT1, English EXT2, General Maths, Modern History

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #619 on: July 31, 2017, 05:57:14 pm »
+4
Hey guys, my modern exam is tomorrow and I'm shitting bricks because it's my first exam that actually combines all the sections like a proper hsc exam. I'm in two minds about whether I should do section 1 first or last, because on the one hand I can knock it out quickest and the structure of it with many small questions makes it way more 'rushable' than any other section if I run out of time, but on the other I kind of like the idea of getting it done as fast as possible and having more time for everything else along with a little confidence boost. The few times I've done multiple past paper sections in one sitting, this happened but my concern is that it wont necessarily happen again and I'll either end up with a bad section 1 or having to rush every other section. What should I do?

Does anyone have useful tips and stuff on the exam in general, like how to best utilise reading time or whatever?

Also, big congrats to dancing phalanges on getting motm. It's nice to see our modern history commune get recognition  ;D
hey mixel! Though at the end of the day, it is very much a personal choice, I would always recommend doing Section I first. It's designed to ease you into the exam - the questions are "easier", worth less marks, and take less time to complete (usually), which means that you know from the get go how much time you've saved that can be devoted to the other sections, which can boost confidence and allow you to plan better. Furthermore, it allows you to utilise reading time more effectively, as you can really answer most of the questions in your head while reading the sources (obvs can't mark the paper, but I knew what I was putting down for all the multiple choice questions before the end of reading time). The fact is you can write a quality response for section 1 in 35 minutes :)

In terms of how to utilise reading time - mainly focus on the sources. Read the other questions, but do not dwell on them. If you get a good question, don't spend a minute patting yourself on the back and celebrating. If you get a bad question, don't spend a minute (or often longer) wallowing in self pity. Just acknowledge what the question is, so it is at the back of your head, and move on to answering, in your head, the questions from Section I. If you do finish Section I early, I recommend devoting the extra time to Section III, as it is my opinion that that is the hardest section to complete in 45 minutes.

But most importantly - relax! You'll be absolutely fine Mixel. You've been studying hard, and you definitely know your stuff. Freaking out isn't going to help you do better - but walking into that exam confident (even if you have to fake it a bit) will! Don't get caught up in other peoples stress tomorrow. If everyone is freaking out, go find somewhere quite to chill out before the exam starts.

Let us know how it goes! As I said, I'm sure you'll do absolutely amazing - and even if it doesn't go 100% according to plan, eh, it's only trials! You can more than bring it back by HSC :)

Susie

(and yes, huge congratulations to dancing phalanges! But also to everyone else here - Modern had one of the best months we've had all year, and every single one of you were a worthy candidate for the award :) Will not be surprised if I see a few more of your faces pop up on that list in the months to come ;))

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #620 on: July 31, 2017, 06:41:28 pm »
+2

Thanks Mixel! Your replies have been just as if not better than mine and heaps detailed, you've been a massive help! Are you doing the CSSA or Independent Paper, Im guessing independent because mine is on Thursday, but nevertheless a big good luck to you, hope you ace it you deserve it! And just quickly Susie R.E reading time, like you can in S.O.R should I aim to answer in my head all the source analysis MC questions if i can to save heaps of time? Thanks :)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #621 on: July 31, 2017, 06:51:40 pm »
+4
Susie R.E reading time, like you can in S.O.R should I aim to answer in my head all the source analysis MC questions if i can to save heaps of time? Thanks :)
yes I definitely would :) Like obviously don't mark the paper during reading time (some ppl give really bad advice and say you can do a nail imprint, but that still counts as marking the paper so don't!), but I think it is a really good idea to work out the answers before hand, so when writing time starts you can just quickly spend a minute filling in the circles, then spend the majority of the time on the 5-8 marker and the 10 marker!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #622 on: July 31, 2017, 06:53:32 pm »
+1
yes I definitely would :) Like obviously don't mark the paper during reading time (some ppl give really bad advice and say you can do a nail imprint, but that still counts as marking the paper so don't!), but I think it is a really good idea to work out the answers before hand, so when writing time starts you can just quickly spend a minute filling in the circles, then spend the majority of the time on the 5-8 marker and the 10 marker!

Thank you :) haha what a strange idea

mixel

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #623 on: July 31, 2017, 07:25:14 pm »
Thanks Mixel! Your replies have been just as if not better than mine and heaps detailed, you've been a massive help! Are you doing the CSSA or Independent Paper, Im guessing independent because mine is on Thursday, but nevertheless a big good luck to you, hope you ace it you deserve it! And just quickly Susie R.E reading time, like you can in S.O.R should I aim to answer in my head all the source analysis MC questions if i can to save heaps of time? Thanks :)

Yeah Im pretty sure my school has written the paper. Good luck with cssa though, I'm sure you'll smash it! If nothing else it just means you'll beat more people in trials  ;)
HSC 2017 subjects
Biology, Economics, English Advanced, English EXT1, English EXT2, General Maths, Modern History

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #624 on: August 01, 2017, 02:21:49 pm »
Hey Susie just a quick question... do you think there's any point in preparing more on a topic that hasn't been asked as much in previous trials or is it just too hard to pick. I summarised the previous trial questions on War in the Pacific below :)

FROM MOST OFTEN USED TO LEAST OFTEN (SINCE 2008)
reasons for the Japanese defeat 4x 10 11 13 16
–    social, political and economic effects on civilians in occupied territories in
South-East Asia 4x 08 10 12 16
–    Japanese foreign policy 1937–1941 3 x 08 11 15
–    US and British policies in the Pacific 1937–1941 2 x 08 11
–    turning points in the war: Battle of the Coral Sea, Battle of Midway, Battle of  2 x 12 15
the effect of the war on the home fronts in Japan and Australia 2x 09 14
strategic and political reasons for bombing Pearl Harbour 2x 09 11
strategies used by Allied forces against Japan 1942–1945 1x 11
–    Allied Occupation of Japan to 1951 1x 14

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #625 on: August 01, 2017, 03:05:04 pm »
+2
Hey Susie just a quick question... do you think there's any point in preparing more on a topic that hasn't been asked as much in previous trials or is it just too hard to pick. I summarised the previous trial questions on War in the Pacific below :)

FROM MOST OFTEN USED TO LEAST OFTEN (SINCE 2008)
reasons for the Japanese defeat 4x 10 11 13 16
–    social, political and economic effects on civilians in occupied territories in
South-East Asia 4x 08 10 12 16
–    Japanese foreign policy 1937–1941 3 x 08 11 15
–    US and British policies in the Pacific 1937–1941 2 x 08 11
–    turning points in the war: Battle of the Coral Sea, Battle of Midway, Battle of  2 x 12 15
the effect of the war on the home fronts in Japan and Australia 2x 09 14
strategic and political reasons for bombing Pearl Harbour 2x 09 11
strategies used by Allied forces against Japan 1942–1945 1x 11
–    Allied Occupation of Japan to 1951 1x 14

Interesting question! Fun fact, I actually predicted all of my essay questions last year for Section II and IV in the HSC. So I don't necessarily think that its too hard to pick, however I'd be hesitant to recommend adjusting your study pattern based on a prediction. That being said, you're suggesting studying more for something, not studying less (that is how this conversation usually goes ahaha), so if you'd like to spend a bit more time on this section, definitely won't hurt!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #626 on: August 01, 2017, 03:44:21 pm »
Interesting question! Fun fact, I actually predicted all of my essay questions last year for Section II and IV in the HSC. So I don't necessarily think that its too hard to pick, however I'd be hesitant to recommend adjusting your study pattern based on a prediction. That being said, you're suggesting studying more for something, not studying less (that is how this conversation usually goes ahaha), so if you'd like to spend a bit more time on this section, definitely won't hurt!

Haha geez that's good luck ;) Maybe I'll come asking for your predictions in October, i was more referring to in the war in the pacific focussing more on one topic eg. allied occupation since it has only been asked once vs reasons for japanese defeat (asked four times) thanks :)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #627 on: August 01, 2017, 06:25:52 pm »
Please don't tell me you also memorised all those quotes in your WW1 detail table Susie... they're 3-4 sentences long!  :o :o

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #628 on: August 01, 2017, 06:49:11 pm »
+1
Please don't tell me you also memorised all those quotes in your WW1 detail table Susie... they're 3-4 sentences long!  :o :o
I didn't memorise any quotes for WW1! I never really used quotes at all for that section, it was more just added detail, plus sometimes I referred to them as sources, without providing the quote.

Claudiaa

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #629 on: August 01, 2017, 06:55:56 pm »
Hi Susie! I'm back to ask the Modern scholar more questions!

I'm currently studying the Origins of Arab and Israeli conflict but I'm finding it really hard to write essays and form my ideas very quickly, especially in exam conditions. What would your recommend is the best way to attack a question in modern with limited time? Also, how many quotes from historians/specific documents (in this case the articles made by the League of Nations - the Palestinian Constitution) should you know before walking into an exam?
HSC 2018: English Advanced | Math Ext 1 | Studies of Religion I | Economics | Legal | Modern History