Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 05:34:48 pm

Author Topic: HSC Modern History Question Thread  (Read 350523 times)  Share 

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
Re: Modern History Question Thread
« Reply #630 on: August 01, 2017, 06:57:34 pm »
I didn't memorise any quotes for WW1! I never really used quotes at all for that section, it was more just added detail, plus sometimes I referred to them as sources, without providing the quote.

Haha okay phew I'm going through now and cutting down the number of stats and detail you have to a manageable amount for me (it will still end up being too much probably) aha. Don't know how I will fit all of these stats for WW1, Speer, Germany and Conflict in the Pacific all inside my brain!! Got through the half yearly because I predicted the exam paper haha
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #631 on: August 01, 2017, 07:33:31 pm »
+3
Hi Susie! I'm back to ask the Modern scholar more questions!

I'm currently studying the Origins of Arab and Israeli conflict but I'm finding it really hard to write essays and form my ideas very quickly, especially in exam conditions. What would your recommend is the best way to attack a question in modern with limited time? Also, how many quotes from historians/specific documents (in this case the articles made by the League of Nations - the Palestinian Constitution) should you know before walking into an exam?
Hey Claudia :)

Taking 5 minutes to plan out a response if you need is a-okay! So don't worry if, when you look at a question, you don't immediately have an answer. Personally, I found that often times the questions are a lot simpler than they may appear - like just going through the syllabus (shaping your analysis around the question of course) will do the trick! For me, my default structure was either syllabus or thematic - like if I couldn't personally identify the critical "factors", I would work out the themes, so how does the question relate to the political, social, economic, militaristic/strategic landscape of the conflict? That kinda thing :) But yeah, my main tip is don't overthink it! Often the simpler the better :)

In terms of quotes, I always aimed to have 1-2 for each syllabus dot point, however don't freak out if you can't remember them. Though they are fantastic as they count as detail, it is way more important that YOU have a strong analysis, not that you can parrot the most amount of historians :)

Hope this helps!

Susie
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Claudiaa

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #632 on: August 01, 2017, 07:53:25 pm »
+3
Hey Claudia :)

Taking 5 minutes to plan out a response if you need is a-okay! So don't worry if, when you look at a question, you don't immediately have an answer. Personally, I found that often times the questions are a lot simpler than they may appear - like just going through the syllabus (shaping your analysis around the question of course) will do the trick! For me, my default structure was either syllabus or thematic - like if I couldn't personally identify the critical "factors", I would work out the themes, so how does the question relate to the political, social, economic, militaristic/strategic landscape of the conflict? That kinda thing :) But yeah, my main tip is don't overthink it! Often the simpler the better :)

In terms of quotes, I always aimed to have 1-2 for each syllabus dot point, however don't freak out if you can't remember them. Though they are fantastic as they count as detail, it is way more important that YOU have a strong analysis, not that you can parrot the most amount of historians :)

Hope this helps!

Susie

Thank You , Susie! You are always so helpful and quick with replies! Personally, I attempt to go for a thematic approach :) I was always too scared to plan as I may run out of time, however you raised a valid argument, definitely changed my mindset

Thanks heaps!
HSC 2018: English Advanced | Math Ext 1 | Studies of Religion I | Economics | Legal | Modern History

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #633 on: August 01, 2017, 08:11:56 pm »
Hey Susie,
just a quick question, just tested myself looking at each syllabus dot point to make sure i can answer each one with 1-2 sentences on each for eg. the first one reason for the stalemate just naming the reasons: failure of schleiffen plan, failure of plan 17, inability to adapt to new technologies, underestimated speed of russian mobilisaiton etc. - is this good enough do you think for section 1 just knowing the basic ideas because wont have to explain them that much and then now im going to try memorise at least 1-2 stats for each dot point :)
thanks
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

mixel

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #634 on: August 01, 2017, 08:26:12 pm »
Hey modern team, there's a multi that was in my paper today that is giving me conniptions. I found the source it's based on, so could you guys please help me figure out if I fucked it up?

Basically the question asked which demographic the poster was appealing to. No one I've asked is sure if it was men or women. I was totally convinced that it was appealing to British women, because I thought the wording made the message sound imperative, as in "women of britain, you should say x" instead of "women of britain are saying x", which would presumably appeal to men instead of women.

Did I bungle it or was I right in interpreting it to be appealing to women? Thanks in advance
HSC 2017 subjects
Biology, Economics, English Advanced, English EXT1, English EXT2, General Maths, Modern History

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #635 on: August 01, 2017, 08:29:02 pm »
+1
Hey modern team, there's a multi that was in my paper today that is giving me conniptions. I found the source it's based on, so could you guys please help me figure out if I fucked it up?

(Image removed from quote.)

Basically the question asked which demographic the poster was appealing to. No one I've asked is sure if it was men or women. I was totally convinced that it was appealing to British women, because I thought the wording made the message sound imperative, as in "women of britain, you should say x" instead of "women of britain are saying x", which would presumably appeal to men instead of women.

Did I bungle it or was I right in interpreting it to be appealing to women? Thanks in advance

If I'm guessing I would say you are correct as at the start of the war, before women joined munitions etc. propaganda targeting them in terms of how they could contribute to the war effort included letting your sons/husbands go off to war. So in my opinion, I would have said women :)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #636 on: August 01, 2017, 08:47:37 pm »
+4
Hey Susie,
just a quick question, just tested myself looking at each syllabus dot point to make sure i can answer each one with 1-2 sentences on each for eg. the first one reason for the stalemate just naming the reasons: failure of schleiffen plan, failure of plan 17, inability to adapt to new technologies, underestimated speed of russian mobilisaiton etc. - is this good enough do you think for section 1 just knowing the basic ideas because wont have to explain them that much and then now im going to try memorise at least 1-2 stats for each dot point :)
thanks
You will want to know more about them than just 1-2 sentences, as the 5-8 marker will ask for a more in depth description :/ Though yes, you do have sources, the sources only inform your answer for that question - they don't make it. Though I do think it is a good study technique, to try and see if you can answer everything in its most simple components, you will need to know more than that for the 5-8 marker! Good with the stats though :)

(Image removed from quote.)

Though I can definitely see how people are interpreting it differently, I actually think this is more directed at men. Reason being that the social stigma to go to war was very high, and that was often a feature of propaganda - preying upon the "create a better world for your family" kinda thing. Women played a really important part in that - ie. giving men that didn't go to war a white feather, to signify that they were a coward. Furthermore, the source says "women say go!" - it isn't asking women to say that, it is telling them men that women are saying that, if that makes sense? But yeah that is my interpretation of it - you could definitely argue the other way. Weird question. I hate modern multiple choice.

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #637 on: August 01, 2017, 08:56:11 pm »
+2
You will want to know more about them than just 1-2 sentences, as the 5-8 marker will ask for a more in depth description :/ Though yes, you do have sources, the sources only inform your answer for that question - they don't make it. Though I do think it is a good study technique, to try and see if you can answer everything in its most simple components, you will need to know more than that for the 5-8 marker! Good with the stats though :)
Though I can definitely see how people are interpreting it differently, I actually think this is more directed at men. Reason being that the social stigma to go to war was very high, and that was often a feature of propaganda - preying upon the "create a better world for your family" kinda thing. Women played a really important part in that - ie. giving men that didn't go to war a white feather, to signify that they were a coward. Furthermore, the source says "women say go!" - it isn't asking women to say that, it is telling them men that women are saying that, if that makes sense? But yeah that is my interpretation of it - you could definitely argue the other way. Weird question. I hate modern multiple choice.

Haha okay, obviously I will elaborate on the points I bring up but I take your point  :P and I think I see where I went wrong in that propaganda piece, if it is was for the women, like i though it probably would say: Women of Britain - say go not women of britain say - go because the first option places emphasis on the women themselves, good experience nonetheless so i dont make the same mistake :)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #638 on: August 01, 2017, 09:09:53 pm »
+1
Haha okay, obviously I will elaborate on the points I bring up but I take your point  :P and I think I see where I went wrong in that propaganda piece, if it is was for the women, like i though it probably would say: Women of Britain - say go not women of britain say - go because the first option places emphasis on the women themselves, good experience nonetheless so i dont make the same mistake :)
awesome! That's good then :) Just because I interpreted it differently, does not 100% mean that I was correct remember! But yes, that was my thinking :)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #639 on: August 01, 2017, 10:04:35 pm »
awesome! That's good then :) Just because I interpreted it differently, does not 100% mean that I was correct remember! But yes, that was my thinking :)

I'm not one to argue with 18th in the state ;)

Also just quickly, for after I finish art tomorrow, I have pretty much covered WW1, memorised 2-3 stats for each dot point (will test myself a couple of times tomorrow to make sure they stuck) what advice do you have for navigating through the many essay plans I have most effectively to prepare for the trial ensuring I have enough detail but obviously know the key things too :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 10:13:45 pm by dancing phalanges »

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #640 on: August 01, 2017, 10:27:00 pm »
+3
I'm not one to argue with 18th in the state ;)

Also just quickly, for after I finish art tomorrow, I have pretty much covered WW1, memorised 2-3 stats for each dot point (will test myself a couple of times tomorrow to make sure they stuck) what advice do you have for navigating through the many essay plans I have most effectively to prepare for the trial ensuring I have enough detail but obviously know the key things too :)
Hey I got a multiple choice wrong in the final HSC, so always good to try and double check - don't just take my word for it! The way I would go about it was using the look, cover, write check method - how many arguments and detail can you remember? First I would go through the questions that I really struggle with and read over them, spending more time on them, then on the other questions. All the while, I'd be trying to notice patterns - seeing if any common arguments come up for certain sections! I'd then look at other questions that I haven't done, and see if any of the knowledge from these essay plans is adaptable and transferable.

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #641 on: August 01, 2017, 10:33:11 pm »
Hey I got a multiple choice wrong in the final HSC, so always good to try and double check - don't just take my word for it! The way I would go about it was using the look, cover, write check method - how many arguments and detail can you remember? First I would go through the questions that I really struggle with and read over them, spending more time on them, then on the other questions. All the while, I'd be trying to notice patterns - seeing if any common arguments come up for certain sections! I'd then look at other questions that I haven't done, and see if any of the knowledge from these essay plans is adaptable and transferable.

okay sweet thanks :) would you recommend doing it in terms of structure of remembering points 1)argument 2)examples 3) statistics 4) historiography if necessary 5)evaluation something like that, simple yet sorta detailed?

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #642 on: August 01, 2017, 10:42:39 pm »
+1
okay sweet thanks :) would you recommend doing it in terms of structure of remembering points 1)argument 2)examples 3) statistics 4) historiography if necessary 5)evaluation something like that, simple yet sorta detailed?
Yes that sounds great :)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #643 on: August 01, 2017, 10:49:23 pm »
+1
Yes that sounds great :)

Okay thanks heaps for your help :)

tahliamag

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #644 on: August 02, 2017, 11:08:55 am »
Hiii,
I have my modern trial exam tomorrow afternoon and I feel completely unprepared for the essays!! I have written a few essays and done as many study plans as possible but I'm worries because I dont think I can write a full essay on the points. I'm also struggling to remeber specific detail and stats which I barely know any ahhhh. I know its a bit late to ask this the day before the exam but anyone have any tips for the situation I'm in right now, anything would be helpful :) Also, how many pages should I be aiming to write for the 25 mark essay???
Thankyou