Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 06:15:48 pm

Author Topic: HSC Modern History Question Thread  (Read 350528 times)  Share 

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: Modern History Question Thread
« Reply #660 on: August 02, 2017, 08:28:24 pm »
+1
oh man i hope your predictions are correct for ww1, germany and the personality. as for susie's 'prediction,' if cold war ends up being detente i'll probably cry because that's my biggest weakness - we haven't done the end or renewal so the question might be changed to something earlier yay.

does anyone have tips for cramming in between exams? i have maths in the morning so my brain is going to be absolutely fried from that and i can't seem to retain any information for modern :-/
What are you struggling with with Detente? Anything I can help with?

I'd recommend against cramming in between your exams - give yourself a break :) Go take a walk, have something to eat. If you really feel like you need to study, just read over your past essays/plans, or any notes/detail tables you have written. But don't try and cram, because you'll just tire yourself out! Dancing phalanges suggestion is good as well - group discussion before exams was something that really benefitted me last year :)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #661 on: August 02, 2017, 08:29:51 pm »
Just gonna bump this, as I'm worried its going to get lost in the current modern panic aha
I can't comment on Speers significance specifically - but just remember that the fact that he is on the modern history syllabus means that he must have been pretty freaking significant aha, or else why would we bother studying him? Having a look at what you wrote, I'd definitely say they sound like the right kinda things to include, however imma defer to jake here if he has any contradicting advice as he actually studied Speer. In terms of your historiography question, I think it is always worthwhile getting some quotes, however I definitely think paraphrasing can be equally effective (particularly as it demonstrates that you actually understand the argument)!

haha okay sweet means less memorising then! ill just try remember a couple. I am so glad i dont do maths right now  :D :D :D :D
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #662 on: August 02, 2017, 08:30:27 pm »
and susie or jake - would you say i am okay for germany and war in the pacific, if i am not at all confident in one topic just completely skipping it in my revision since i will always have another option? or should i still skim it, just trying to make the most of my time! thanks :)
ask any russia student if they're confident in soviet foreign policy. 90% will say no. Though for the HSC I'd recommend having at least a basic knowledge of all of them, for your exam tomorrow, knowing 3 out of 4 topics in depth is fine :)

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #663 on: August 02, 2017, 08:33:37 pm »
ask any russia student if they're confident in soviet foreign policy. 90% will say no. Though for the HSC I'd recommend having at least a basic knowledge of all of them, for your exam tomorrow, knowing 3 out of 4 topics in depth is fine :)
1 Weimar Republic
– emergence of the Democratic Republic and the impact of the Treaty of Versailles
– political, economic and social issues in the Weimar Republic to 1929
– collapse of the Weimar Republic 1929–1933
– impact of the Great Depression on Germany
2 The rise of the Nazi Party
– rise of the Nazi Party (NSDAP) from 1923
– Hitler’s accession to power
– initial consolidation of Nazi power 1933–1934
3 Nazism in power
– Hitler’s role in the Nazi state
– Nazism as totalitarianism
– the role of propaganda, terror and repression; SA and SS; opposition to Nazism
– social and cultural life in the Nazi state: role of Hitler Youth, women, religion
– Nazi racial policy; anti-Semitism: policy and practice to 1939
4 Nazi foreign policy
– nature of Nazi foreign policy: aims and strategies to September 1939
– impact of ideology on Nazi foreign policy to September 1939

I was meaning moreso for example I cannot write for 8 pages on Hitler's ascension to power and I haven't even looked at racial policy yet so I meant just all kinds of topics.

Like even though they are from different numbers what would be the chance do you think of them asking about hitler's role in the nazi state and hitler's ascension to power bc i am not too strong with those either :/
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 08:36:24 pm by dancing phalanges »
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #664 on: August 02, 2017, 08:34:36 pm »
Theres a guy on HSC 2017 discussion group on fb who predicted questions correctly from ENA paper 1 and 2 and legal studies and art so heres to hoping he does the same for modern

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #665 on: August 02, 2017, 08:37:04 pm »
+1
Theres a guy on HSC 2017 discussion group on fb who predicted questions correctly from ENA paper 1 and 2 and legal studies and art so heres to hoping he does the same for modern

Yeah what's the go with that? Do teachers give them the question or something?

That being said, I wouldn't trust any prediction completely; I think I saw a few predictions for Paper 2 that were beyond wrong.
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

Son of Thatcher

• Trailblazer
  • "Live free or die."
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #666 on: August 02, 2017, 08:39:20 pm »
+1
What are you struggling with with Detente? Anything I can help with?

I'd recommend against cramming in between your exams - give yourself a break :) Go take a walk, have something to eat. If you really feel like you need to study, just read over your past essays/plans, or any notes/detail tables you have written. But don't try and cram, because you'll just tire yourself out! Dancing phalanges suggestion is good as well - group discussion before exams was something that really benefitted me last year :)

I can't second this enough. I had an exam on every day of the Trials and because I hadn't studied enough, I tried to cram some last-minute study between exams. In other words, I stayed up late between exams which was fine for the first few days. But by the end of the week, I was so tired I couldn't even be bothered studying. I also agree about group study, the best thing was having afternoon exams so a small group of my friends and I could go through the syllabus once or twice.
2016 HSC

Advanced English (89) | Business Studies (92) | Legal Studies (94) | History Extension (47) | Ancient History (92) | Modern History (92)

ATAR: 97.55

Bachelor of Laws @ UTS

"Be wary of so-called 'pure' intentions, lest you do more harm with open hands than with a clenched fist"

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #667 on: August 02, 2017, 08:40:12 pm »
1 Weimar Republic
– emergence of the Democratic Republic and the impact of the Treaty of Versailles
– political, economic and social issues in the Weimar Republic to 1929
– collapse of the Weimar Republic 1929–1933
– impact of the Great Depression on Germany
2 The rise of the Nazi Party
– rise of the Nazi Party (NSDAP) from 1923
– Hitler’s accession to power
– initial consolidation of Nazi power 1933–1934
3 Nazism in power
– Hitler’s role in the Nazi state
– Nazism as totalitarianism
– the role of propaganda, terror and repression; SA and SS; opposition to Nazism
– social and cultural life in the Nazi state: role of Hitler Youth, women, religion
– Nazi racial policy; anti-Semitism: policy and practice to 1939
4 Nazi foreign policy
– nature of Nazi foreign policy: aims and strategies to September 1939
– impact of ideology on Nazi foreign policy to September 1939

I was meaning moreso for example I cannot write for 8 pages on Hitler's ascension to power and I haven't even looked at racial policy yet so I meant just all kinds of topics.
Ahhhh I getcha! Hmmm as I didn't study Germany, not 100% sure what to suggest. For Russia, you wouldn't get a question solely on a syllabus dot point, but more so the entire section. Even if it looked like it was on that specific dot point, you could and should incorporate the other dot points from that section of the syllabus. With that in mind, I'd probably want to know enough that I could at least write one, solid paragraph of a differentiated essay.

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #668 on: August 02, 2017, 08:47:47 pm »
+1
Ahhhh I getcha! Hmmm as I didn't study Germany, not 100% sure what to suggest. For Russia, you wouldn't get a question solely on a syllabus dot point, but more so the entire section. Even if it looked like it was on that specific dot point, you could and should incorporate the other dot points from that section of the syllabus. With that in mind, I'd probably want to know enough that I could at least write one, solid paragraph of a differentiated essay.

Okay sweet :) Hahha i was just researching then.... say hypothetically I missed the trial tomorrow because of illness - do you get an estimate based off your internal marks so far because from all my assessments I'm sitting on 97% and if hypothetically i didnt go to the trial tomorrow would that mean they would give me something close to 97% or so as an estimate because that would be one awesome way to cheat the system (of course i wont do that but im really interested to know because i know my sister couldnt do any of her trials because of a serious illness and got all estimates which were very high which annoyed people in her year)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #669 on: August 02, 2017, 09:09:33 pm »
Okay sweet :) Hahha i was just researching then.... say hypothetically I missed the trial tomorrow because of illness - do you get an estimate based off your internal marks so far because from all my assessments I'm sitting on 97% and if hypothetically i didnt go to the trial tomorrow would that mean they would give me something close to 97% or so as an estimate because that would be one awesome way to cheat the system (of course i wont do that but im really interested to know because i know my sister couldnt do any of her trials because of a serious illness and got all estimates which were very high which annoyed people in her year)
I think protocol differs from school to school so I can't really say unfortunately! Fantastic marks though :)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #670 on: August 02, 2017, 09:23:42 pm »
I think protocol differs from school to school so I can't really say unfortunately! Fantastic marks though :)

Haha would you recommend it ;) It seems so much easier than navigating my way through the piles of papers on my desk atm haha, dont know how ill cope with the hsc

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #671 on: August 02, 2017, 09:32:02 pm »
+1
Haha would you recommend it ;) It seems so much easier than navigating my way through the piles of papers on my desk atm haha, dont know how ill cope with the hsc
no, i don't recommend skipping your trials aha - if it makes you feel better, I actually found HSC easier that trials :)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #672 on: August 02, 2017, 09:41:35 pm »
no, i don't recommend skipping your trials aha - if it makes you feel better, I actually found HSC easier that trials :)

Haha okay! I can't find my essay plan on consolidation of power by nazis 1933-34  :'( http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/history/mwh/germany/hitlerconsolidaterev1.shtml
Do you think this site looks good enough? I know you didn't do Germany but those give all the main points of how it happened, just doesn't have any quotes or stats I think like my plan did, and would you recommend I categorise each into themes or just write out chronologically how they maintained power :)
Just looked I think almost all border on being political ahah
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 09:44:09 pm by dancing phalanges »

lucyjayne

• Trailblazer
  • Sad backwards is das und das ist nicht gut
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #673 on: August 02, 2017, 09:45:12 pm »
Hey Guys,

I'm struggling with the question ‘The impact of the Treaty of Versailles on the Weimar Republic to 1929 was more significant than any other factor’ how accurate is this statement?'

In particular i'm getting confused about what I should incorporate in order to make my argument more balanced. I was going to talk about the impacts in of the TOV in the first paragraph, the weaknesses of the Weimar Republic in the second and then the stresseman era in the third then talk about the great depression and the death of stresseman in 1929.

But, I feel like there is just way too much information to incorporate here and I don't know if I should spread out the impacts of Versailles and then in a small paragraph talk about other factors. It's honestly making me so confused....  and the timeline is confusing too.... :-[

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you  :)
HSC 2017: Legal Studies, English (Standard), Modern History, Ancient History, Studies of Religion II, German Continuers.

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #674 on: August 02, 2017, 10:01:55 pm »
+2
Hey Guys,

I'm struggling with the question ‘The impact of the Treaty of Versailles on the Weimar Republic to 1929 was more significant than any other factor’ how accurate is this statement?'

In particular i'm getting confused about what I should incorporate in order to make my argument more balanced. I was going to talk about the impacts in of the TOV in the first paragraph, the weaknesses of the Weimar Republic in the second and then the stresseman era in the third then talk about the great depression and the death of stresseman in 1929.

But, I feel like there is just way too much information to incorporate here and I don't know if I should spread out the impacts of Versailles and then in a small paragraph talk about other factors. It's honestly making me so confused....  and the timeline is confusing too.... :-[

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you  :)

Hey,
I would personally structure my response as follows
1. TOV - Discuss its provisions (army, terriotorial etc.) and how this meant that the Weimar Republic was immediately stained by its association with the humiliation of the TOV. In addition, the army provisions in the TOV directly led to the Kapp Putsch - an example of this disdain and the responses to it. I would also refer to how the TOV and its economic reparations led to the hyperinflation and occupation of the Ruhr, further examples of humiliation for the German people and hence further distaste for the Republic.
2. 1919 Constitution (Article 48 and Proportional Representation) - Proportional Representation allowed minorities to gain seats in Reichstag, led to instability, reduced the legitimacy of the Republic, didn't allow for majorities. Article 48 = emergency decree - misused by Hinderburg (who was against the Republic) and eventually manipulated by conservative elites to overthrow democracy using it.
3. Weimar' inability to deal with conservative elites - army would eventually support Bruning who convinces Hindenburg to bring Hitler in as Chancellor.
4. Great Depression - reminder of all that is wrong with WR. Sways people back to extreme parties (grow from 27 to 58% in votes) and the WR response to the Depression (cut unemployment funding by 12%) only further sways people.

You could discuss Stresseman but im not entirely sure as the question doesn't specify what the impact refers to so a bit hard to comment right now on that :)