Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 10:07:53 pm

Author Topic: HSC Modern History Question Thread  (Read 350558 times)  Share 

AnnaC

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +2
Re: Modern History Question Thread
« Reply #990 on: October 19, 2017, 08:06:33 pm »
+8
heyyy ppl!!
jst having a freak out session here over getting a question about the army for weimar republic!?
any tips on how to structure it??
tks hps!! and ATB ;D ;D :o ::)

hey!! this question is really interesting, but you have to approach it in terms of the prussian militaristic tradition which was so prominent and influential in the minds of ordinary germans when democracy was forced upon them.

1. stab-in-the-back legend highlighted how these traditional ways of thinking lingered throughout german society and contributed to the disdain held for democracy throughout the weimar period
2. ebert-groener pact highlighted the tangible political influence the army held, and this further contributed to the 'split on the left' which disenfranched the kpd from the spd etc later on --> more iconic quotes, delmer "the republic was born with a hole in its heart"
3. kapp putsch highlighted the vitality of military support in maintaining successful gov't rule in the context of german society, considering von seeckt's iconic quote "reichswehr does not fire on reichswehr"
4. election of paul von hindenburg as president --> his military prestige and significance in ww1 made him appealing to the more traditional leanings of german society, showing how these ways of thinking remained considerably influential even way after democracy was imposed + during stresemann's 'golden years'. he even wanted to reinstate a more authoritarian, right-wing government in opposition to democracy, leading to the whole conservative elites debacle. good quote for this is evans: "the real problem...was the independently-elected president" OR also evans: "the Presidential power was in the hands of a man who had no faith in democratic institutions and no intention of defending them from their enemies."

hope this helps!
Subjects: Society & Culture [97], Modern History [97: 12th in NSW], Biology [96], Legal Studies [96], English Advanced [95], Studies of Religion I [47], English Extension 1 [46]
2017 ATAR: 99.70

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #991 on: October 19, 2017, 08:09:40 pm »
+5
Just going to have a go at predictions because why not  :P
WW1
Propaganda
Events leading to armistice.
GERMANY
To what extent did the Weimar Republic overcome its political, economic and social issues by 1929?
To what extent was Nazi Germany a totalitarian state? (LAST ASKED IN 2008)
PERSONALITY
Outline the background and rise to prominence of your personality.
(Any quote about shaper/shaped by events) - To what extent was your personality shaped by events.
PACIFIC
Evaluate the impact of the Japanese occupation on occupied territories.
Was the use of the A-Bomb justified? (LAST ASKED IN 2004)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

bun00

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #992 on: October 19, 2017, 08:19:30 pm »
+4
hey!! this question is really interesting, but you have to approach it in terms of the prussian militaristic tradition which was so prominent and influential in the minds of ordinary germans when democracy was forced upon them.

1. stab-in-the-back legend highlighted how these traditional ways of thinking lingered throughout german society and contributed to the disdain held for democracy throughout the weimar period
2. ebert-groener pact highlighted the tangible political influence the army held, and this further contributed to the 'split on the left' which disenfranched the kpd from the spd etc later on --> more iconic quotes, delmer "the republic was born with a hole in its heart"
3. kapp putsch highlighted the vitality of military support in maintaining successful gov't rule in the context of german society, considering von seeckt's iconic quote "reichswehr does not fire on reichswehr"
4. election of paul von hindenburg as president --> his military prestige and significance in ww1 made him appealing to the more traditional leanings of german society, showing how these ways of thinking remained considerably influential even way after democracy was imposed + during stresemann's 'golden years'. he even wanted to reinstate a more authoritarian, right-wing government in opposition to democracy, leading to the whole conservative elites debacle. good quote for this is evans: "the real problem...was the independently-elected president" OR also evans: "the Presidential power was in the hands of a man who had no faith in democratic institutions and no intention of defending them from their enemies."

hope this helps!

ok tks hpss ure a legend!!
u drew light to hps of things that i never related with the army so thankuuu ;D ;D also those quotes are awesome so tkss ;)
ALL THE BEST EVERYONE!!!!! WE ALL KNOW A HECK OF A LOT MORE THAN WE THINK WE KNOW SO LET'S NAIL IT ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 08:21:20 pm by bun00 »

HamBurr17

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #993 on: October 19, 2017, 08:25:18 pm »
+4
Just going to have a go at predictions because why not  :P
WW1
Propaganda
Events leading to armistice.
GERMANY
To what extent did the Weimar Republic overcome its political, economic and social issues by 1929?
To what extent was Nazi Germany a totalitarian state? (LAST ASKED IN 2008)
PERSONALITY
Outline the background and rise to prominence of your personality.
(Any quote about shaper/shaped by events) - To what extent was your personality shaped by events.
PACIFIC
Evaluate the impact of the Japanese occupation on occupied territories.
Was the use of the A-Bomb justified? (LAST ASKED IN 2004)

Oh man, I am praying for a Weimar Republic question. Literally praying. I got a related question in my trial and got 25! Annnnd that's about where my knowledge ends hahaha
HSC 2017: English Adv | Society and Culture | Legal Studies | Modern History | Ancient History | Industrial Technology - Multimedia

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #994 on: October 19, 2017, 08:29:48 pm »
+4
Oh man, I am praying for a Weimar Republic question. Literally praying. I got a related question in my trial and got 25! Annnnd that's about where my knowledge ends hahaha

Anything on the failure of Weimar would be perfect haha
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

bun00

• Forum Regular
« Reply #995 on: October 19, 2017, 08:45:20 pm »
+1
hey jst another qwik (dumb) question ::)
when questions are discussing the weimar republic and its political, economic and social issues....and they say "up to" 1929.....can we include stuff in 1929 too? as in the great depression and that...?
tkks!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #996 on: October 19, 2017, 08:46:19 pm »
when questions are discussing the weimar republic and its political, economic and social issues....and they say "up to" 1929.....can we include stuff in 1929 too? as in the great depression and that...?
tkks!
If it says up to you can definitely include 1929! Just don't go past that because then you won't be answering the question :)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

bun00

• Forum Regular
« Reply #997 on: October 19, 2017, 08:46:58 pm »
+1
If it says up to you can definitely include 1929! Just don't go past that because then you won't be answering the question :)

hokey thankyou ;D

~BK~

• Trendsetter
  • "Bibia be ye ye"- all will be well!
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #998 on: October 19, 2017, 08:51:06 pm »
+6
ALL THE VERY BEST TOMORROW EVERYONE!! YOU'LL ALL SMASH IT OUT I'M SURE
BRING ON NOV 2nd ;D

~BK~

• Trendsetter
  • "Bibia be ye ye"- all will be well!
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #999 on: October 19, 2017, 08:51:48 pm »
+5
WELL DONE HISTORIOGRAPHERS FOR MAKING IT TO 1000 POSTS ON HERE!!  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 08:54:11 pm by ~BK~ »
BRING ON NOV 2nd ;D

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1000 on: October 19, 2017, 08:54:17 pm »
+4
tkks!

It's so hard with the Great Depression as it's impact only starts to really hit post 1929 and that's when the Nazis gain votes as a result so generally if it says up to 1929 I don't mention it except for the fact that maybe, when referencing how the economic issues were solved on the surface in the Golden Years, i may say: However, Germany's economic stability during the 'Golden Years' was highly superficial as it was heavily reliant on foreign loans and an economic collapse, as evident in the Great Depression, would effectively cripple the German economy. Something like that but yeah it's hard to go into detail on the Depression otherwise :/

bun00

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1001 on: October 19, 2017, 08:57:01 pm »
+1
It's so hard with the Great Depression as it's impact only starts to really hit post 1929 and that's when the Nazis gain votes as a result so generally if it says up to 1929 I don't mention it except for the fact that maybe, when referencing how the economic issues were solved on the surface in the Golden Years, i may say: However, Germany's economic stability during the 'Golden Years' was highly superficial as it was heavily reliant on foreign loans and an economic collapse, as evident in the Great Depression, would effectively cripple the German economy. Something like that but yeah it's hard to go into detail on the Depression otherwise :/

hey (feel very honoured to be the one thousand and tooth poster :-*) yeah fair point so can pretty much only say about loan repayments....thankss!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1002 on: October 19, 2017, 10:05:11 pm »
Hey Susie, or anyone who studies Conflict in the Pacific that is up - I have a massive dilemma - I am prepared for every dot point of the syllabus barring two - Collaboration and resistance in Japanese occupation and Allied strategies 1941-1942. None of these have specifically EVER been tested in the HSC off my knowledge, and I know practically 0 about either because I hate both options. Now should I be freaking out in case both these options turn up  :o Anyone think that would be likely? I feel shit for leaving them both out but if they both come up I would be well and truly fucked.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #1003 on: October 19, 2017, 10:13:12 pm »
Hey Susie, or anyone who studies Conflict in the Pacific that is up - I have a massive dilemma - I am prepared for every dot point of the syllabus barring two - Collaboration and resistance in Japanese occupation and Allied strategies 1941-1942. None of these have specifically EVER been tested in the HSC off my knowledge, and I know practically 0 about either because I hate both options. Now should I be freaking out in case both these options turn up  :o Anyone think that would be likely? I feel shit for leaving them both out but if they both come up I would be well and truly fucked.
Hey! Don't stress, especially at 10pm the night before the exam aha. Are these literally just dot points? Or whole sections of the syllabus? If they are just dot points, then you should be fine :) If you some how got question specifically on these, twist it so that it allows you to talk about other factors under that section of the syllabus (i've never seen a question where a differentiated essay wasn't possible) :)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1004 on: October 19, 2017, 10:18:53 pm »
Hey! Don't stress, especially at 10pm the night before the exam aha. Are these literally just dot points? Or whole sections of the syllabus? If they are just dot points, then you should be fine :) If you some how got question specifically on these, twist it so that it allows you to talk about other factors under that section of the syllabus (i've never seen a question where a differentiated essay wasn't possible) :)

Hey they are just dot points! I saw a question in a practice trial once: To what extent was there both collaboration and resistance to Japanese occupation. I know from my 3 case studies I have for the occupation I can discuss Thailand and how it collaborated but I deliberately avoided this dot point because you had to be super super specific. However, I don't think I have ever seen a question HSC or trial on Allied strategies 1941-1942 so i don't know if this means they don't assess it on its own?? I might get the general ideas for collaboration and resistance since that would be ok given i have 3 case studies already (focused on the impact of the occupation not collab and resistance) only way i can think of twisting it is that the formation of labour corps in indonesia of 10 million shows that they collaborated because they were part of the labour corps IDK hahahaha obviously they would otherwise they would die  :o :o