Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 04:15:48 pm

Author Topic: HSC Modern History Question Thread  (Read 350519 times)  Share 

diesxel

• Forum Regular
  • sow the seeds, reap the rewards ❊
  • Respect: +5
Re: Modern History Question Thread
« Reply #1005 on: October 19, 2017, 10:36:01 pm »
+1
Hey! Looks like that is all the questions for now (though feel free to keep them coming! I want you guys to go in as confident as possible, so I'll be around till late :) ), but I just wanted to make sure that I said...

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

Not that you need it ;)

I'm seriously so proud of all of you right now. Every single one of you have worked so hard this year. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU. I seriously don't know if there is a more collaborative, helpful, kind hearted and patient group of people on ATAR Notes than those that hang around the Modern History boards (and given the fact that AN users are typically very collaborative, helpful, kind hearted and patient as it is, that is really saying something).

It has been so great working with all of you this year. Whether that be answering one question, marking one of your essays, having a discussion about an interesting modern history meme, or upvoting one the many amazing answers that one of you have come up with yourself that would have been 100 x better than anything that I ever could have come up with. You're all seriously an amazing bunch of students, and an amazing bunch of historians!

I am sure that all of you are going to absolutely smash it tomorrow. Your hard work WILL pay off.

So yes, good luck and enjoy the LAST MODERN HISTORY EXAM YOU WILL EVER HAVE TO DO (unless you are like me and you also do the modern paper next year to write the answers ahaha ;) )! I can't wait to hear about how you all found it :)

so much <3 for you all,

Susie

YOU'RE SO KIND honestly thank you for always being here and answering our questions super quickly and super effectively. You're actually the best and hope we can do you proud in our hsc!!!! Thanks for everything <3
HSC 2017 ATAR 97.25 English Advanced (92)- Modern History (89) - Business Studies (93) - Biology (96) - English Extension 1 (47/50) - English Extension 2

Don't stop when you're tired, stop when you're done.

mbdtHSC

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1006 on: October 19, 2017, 10:48:36 pm »
+1
Hey they are just dot points! I saw a question in a practice trial once: To what extent was there both collaboration and resistance to Japanese occupation. I know from my 3 case studies I have for the occupation I can discuss Thailand and how it collaborated but I deliberately avoided this dot point because you had to be super super specific. However, I don't think I have ever seen a question HSC or trial on Allied strategies 1941-1942 so i don't know if this means they don't assess it on its own?? I might get the general ideas for collaboration and resistance since that would be ok given i have 3 case studies already (focused on the impact of the occupation not collab and resistance) only way i can think of twisting it is that the formation of labour corps in indonesia of 10 million shows that they collaborated because they were part of the labour corps IDK hahahaha obviously they would otherwise they would die  :o :o

Don't worry for collaboration and resistance I think it's way more likely they ask the SEA Occupation question and the collaboration and resistance are just part of that q under political impacts.

eg Thailand, cooperation in Indonesia by Sukarno and Hatta, cooperation in Burma against British initially, etc

Allied strats 41-42 I'd be screwed haha I only know 42-45 :( Super unlikely they ask stuff THAT specific though, I'm predicting they ask reasons for Jap defeat instead

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #1007 on: October 19, 2017, 10:51:18 pm »
+1
Don't worry for collaboration and resistance I think it's way more likely they ask the SEA Occupation question and the collaboration and resistance are just part of that q under political impacts.

eg Thailand, cooperation in Indonesia by Sukarno and Hatta, cooperation in Burma against British initially, etc

Allied strats 41-42 I'd be screwed haha I only know 42-45 :( Super unlikely they ask stuff THAT specific though, I'm predicting they ask reasons for Jap defeat instead

Thankyou for the reassurance! Just did a super quick wrap on 41-42 and resistance and stuff and heres the gist on 41-42 to help in case:
singapore
•   Japanese forces invaded northern Malaya on December 8 1941 and quickly fought their way down the Malayan Peninsula to besiege the British ‘fortress’ of Singapore, which surrendered on 15 February 1942
•   As a result, …
   It was a devastating blow to Britain’s prestige and strategic position in Asia
   Singapore had been Australia’s defence against any Japanese advance. Its fall left Australia vulnerable
   130,000 British, Indian and Australian troops became Japanese prisoners of war  mistreatment created widespread anti-Japanese feeling
   The Japanese victory contributed to the growth of a mythology, both within Japan and Allied nations, that saw the Japanese solider as an invincible jungle fighter
Dutch East Indies:
•   The attack on the Dutch East Indies began on 11 January 1942
•   Any allied hope of stopping an invasion was lost with the Japanese navy’s resounding victory in the Battle of the Java sea
•   March 8 the Dutch surrendered Java and within a short time Japan was in control of all former Dutch territory in the Indonesian archipelago
•   As a result, ….
   The Dutch had been quickly defeated and their status as both a colonial and military power was destroyed
   The conquest of the Dutch East Indies gave Japan access to the regions oil supplies, thus fulfilling one of the major strategic goals of the southern advance
Philippines:
•   Air attacks on the Philippines began on December 8 and were followed by a full-scale Japanese invasion on December 10
•   With no other options, US General Douglas MacArthur retreated with his forces to the Bataan Peninsula and the island fortress of Corregidor, at the entrance to Manila Bay
•   Despite a long resistance from Filipino and American troops, they were not able to be reinforced or resupplied and were forced to surrender
•   The fall of Corregidor on 6 May marked the Japanese conquest of the Philippines
•   Among the consequences…
   Japan had expelled the US from the western Pacific and presented it with a very significant military and logistical challenge if it wanted to return
Burma:    
•   Japanese forces invaded Burma in mid-December
•   Rangoon, the capital, was taken on March 8 1942
•   By May 20 British forces had been completely pushed out of the country
•   As a result, …
   Japan secured its position in Malaya against attack from the west and pushed its defence perimeter up to the Indian border
   Virtually no British military presence in East Asia and guaranteed that the Pacific war against Japan would be largely fought by the US
   Close the Burma road  cutting off supplies to Chiang Kai-Shek

definitely won't do the resistance and collab- too many specific groups to know but yeah i agree with you and hope for the best because otherwise all the stats ive memorised for everything else will go to waste aha! good luck tomorrow!
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

diesxel

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1008 on: October 19, 2017, 11:54:06 pm »
+1
I'm going to put my predictions here for both essay sections just to see tomorrow if I was right or not (I doubt it but I'll try anyway)

Russia: bcop (civil war) and sfp (aims) or something like collectivisation or totalitarianism

Conflict: racial policy and d-day (in contributing to final defeat) OR stalingrad/barbarossa in course of war...or even allied strategies overall

good luck to everyone sitting the exam tomorrow!! Go in super confident and keep your eye on the clock. WE'LL ALL BE FINE GUYS!!!  ;D ;D

All the best, class of 2017 xx  :D
HSC 2017 ATAR 97.25 English Advanced (92)- Modern History (89) - Business Studies (93) - Biology (96) - English Extension 1 (47/50) - English Extension 2

stephjones

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #1009 on: October 20, 2017, 01:10:16 am »
Hey ok so its super late and im sure no one's up BUT quick question, with a question on stalinism as totalitarianism, is it okay to completely agree with it, or say that it gradually came to resemble a totalitarian state? Because my teacher told me to always kind of have a 70/30 argument, and that you shouldn't agree completely because the purges weren't all Stalin's doing etc. so therefore it wasn't necessarily a totalitarian state and I'm just confusing myself a bit  :-\

HSC 2017 (ATAR - 98.40) - English Advanced (95), English Extension 1 (47), Mathematics (92), Mathematics Extension 1 (43), Modern History (92), Biology (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48)

USYD 2018 - Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical) and Bachelor of Arts

diesxel

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1010 on: October 20, 2017, 01:25:11 am »
+1
Hey ok so its super late and im sure no one's up BUT quick question, with a question on stalinism as totalitarianism, is it okay to completely agree with it, or say that it gradually came to resemble a totalitarian state? Because my teacher told me to always kind of have a 70/30 argument, and that you shouldn't agree completely because the purges weren't all Stalin's doing etc. so therefore it wasn't necessarily a totalitarian state and I'm just confusing myself a bit  :-\

Hey I haven't done many Stalin questions but in my trials there was a question about stalinism as totalitarianism and a lot of kids in my class argued that it was completely a totalitarian state and got high range responses (and my teacher is a hsc marker). But if your teacher has told you something I would probably recommend you follow it, especially because its so close to the exam and you probably don't want to take any risks!!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1011 on: October 20, 2017, 05:35:24 am »
+2
While I'm trying to think about how much coffee I'll need to get through today....

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! You've all worked so hard this year, and it's so lovely to see the collaboration here. All the best, you all are going to do absolutely amazing.

Happy cramming!!!!!!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

bun00

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1012 on: October 20, 2017, 05:46:48 am »
+1
While I'm trying to think about how much coffee I'll need to get through today....

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! You've all worked so hard this year, and it's so lovely to see the collaboration here. All the best, you all are going to do absolutely amazing.

Happy cramming!!!!!!

heeharrr bring on the cramming ppl ::) ::) ::)

liya1234

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1013 on: October 20, 2017, 06:12:10 am »
+1

I know this is a kinda late answer as well but I do Russia and we've always been told to say that though it was significantly totalitarian, it was not a total totalitarian state. The way that I do it is in each paragraph after analysing how it was totalitarian I also quickly talk about how despite this, it was not totally totalitarian bc ... (peasant resistance still occurred, purges became controlled at local level, stalin could not totally control actions/thinking of everyone at every level etc). But if you're going to do it this way remember not to say that it was totalitarian to a limited extent as that's not true as it was totalitarian to a pretty large extent, but just wasn't fully totalitarian (we got this q in trials and people lost marks for doing this). Good luck!!!

herb123

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1014 on: October 20, 2017, 01:25:45 pm »
+2
Cheers to @dancing phalanges for the spot on predictions !

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #1015 on: October 20, 2017, 01:34:11 pm »
+2
Cheers to @dancing phalanges for the spot on predictions !
So pissed because Allied strategies 1942-1945 in relation to allied victory for the pacific was my other prediction with occupied territories - until I saw A-Bomb hadn't been done in 12 years! Although don't know if you can count my germany totalitarian one ;)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

diesxel

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1016 on: October 20, 2017, 01:41:24 pm »
+1
GUYS WE DID IT!!

To be honest I was pleased with the exam. Bcop and causes of the conflict were in there so I was right!! I was wrong with the dotpoints though, hahaha.

But seriously, it could've been worse so I'm honestly glad that it's all over and done with! Props to susie for predicting allied victory for world war 1, what a legend.

Also, the second conflict in Europe question was loaded! The one about the Russian campaign in the war, did anyone do it? It seems like it would be a really long response! 

Cheers guys, no more hsc modern history exams for us!!

daenyy

• Adventurer
« Reply #1017 on: October 20, 2017, 01:44:40 pm »
thank god that's over!! Does anyone know the raw mark for b6 in modern?? and thanks to the gals on this forum, i've been a lurker but you've been so much help!!

stephjones

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #1018 on: October 20, 2017, 01:49:22 pm »
+3
Hey I haven't done many Stalin questions but in my trials there was a question about stalinism as totalitarianism and a lot of kids in my class argued that it was completely a totalitarian state and got high range responses (and my teacher is a hsc marker). But if your teacher has told you something I would probably recommend you follow it, especially because its so close to the exam and you probably don't want to take any risks!!

I know this is a kinda late answer as well but I do Russia and we've always been told to say that though it was significantly totalitarian, it was not a total totalitarian state. The way that I do it is in each paragraph after analysing how it was totalitarian I also quickly talk about how despite this, it was not totally totalitarian bc ... (peasant resistance still occurred, purges became controlled at local level, stalin could not totally control actions/thinking of everyone at every level etc). But if you're going to do it this way remember not to say that it was totalitarian to a limited extent as that's not true as it was totalitarian to a pretty large extent, but just wasn't fully totalitarian (we got this q in trials and people lost marks for doing this). Good luck!!!

Not that we ended up needing it but thank you!

Also I was really happy with the exam! I thought the questions for Russia were good (I'd practiced the TOBL question before and coincidentally asked my teacher about it right before I walked into the exam which was nice!)

And idk if any of you do Northern Ireland but I was stoked with the sectarian question - all in all i was expecting so much worse hahaha but honestly just glad its over!
HSC 2017 (ATAR - 98.40) - English Advanced (95), English Extension 1 (47), Mathematics (92), Mathematics Extension 1 (43), Modern History (92), Biology (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48)

USYD 2018 - Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical) and Bachelor of Arts

marcusgrahamm

• Forum Regular
  • --
« Reply #1019 on: October 20, 2017, 02:10:30 pm »
WW1 was great but I think I messed up the third MC Q :(
Germany was reasonable - I did the Great Depressions contribution to rise of Nazi Party.
Personality question's were awesome for my study JEH.
And Cold War was a bit odd. But I went with Soviet invasion of Afghanistan and the impact that had on ending the Cold War but kinda used that conflict as a foundation. and avenue to talk about Gorbachev and Reagan's policies aspiring as result of the invasion and subsequently bringing the Cold War to its end... idkkk that was probably what I found the hardest!

But overall, it was more then fair in my opinion :)
Business Studies-89

Legal Studies-93

Modern History-93

Society And Culture-93

Advanced English-93

Ext 1 Eng- 42

ATAR: 96.95