Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 06:48:19 pm

Author Topic: How to prepare for year 11 Chemistry?  (Read 2837 times)  Share 

SS1314

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +18
How to prepare for year 11 Chemistry?
« on: August 01, 2019, 04:40:53 pm »
Hello everyone! I am currently in year 10 and was wondering what I can do this year to smoothly transition to year 11 chemistry, which I have picked as one of my VCE subjects. Keep is mind I am aiming for a 40+ SS.
2021: English, Environmental Science, Chemistry, Physics [50]

Offering 2022 head start classes (PM for details)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: How to prepare for year 11 Chemistry?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 04:45:13 pm »
Hello everyone! I am currently in year 10 and was wondering what I can do this year to smoothly transition to year 11 chemistry, which I have picked as one of my VCE subjects. Keep is mind I am aiming for a 40+ SS.
I don't think you need to do much. Hopefully you have done a bit of chemistry in year 10 to get you familair with a few concepts and ideas that you may come across later on but largely VCE chemistry is taught from scratch - which can make it a bit boring for some students.

Also units 1/2 are not that important in the grand scheme of things in terms of study score since the assesments dont' contrbute to your study score - however it would be important to do well in 1/2 so that you have a solid foudnation for year12.

SS1314

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 04:52:41 pm »
I don't think you need to do much. Hopefully you have done a bit of chemistry in year 10 to get you familair with a few concepts and ideas that you may come across later on but largely VCE chemistry is taught from scratch - which can make it a bit boring for some students.

Also units 1/2 are not that important in the grand scheme of things in terms of study score since the assesments dont' contrbute to your study score - however it would be important to do well in 1/2 so that you have a solid foudnation for year12.

I have heard that for Maths Methods and Chemistry unit 1/2 is extremely relevant to unit 3/4, unlike subjects such as Biology

galaxy21

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 05:13:25 pm »
I'm doing both methods and chem this year, and from what I have found, units 1 and 2 for chem and methods are relevant as a foundation, however there is still a lot of new content in 3/4.
For chem, the main concepts that are covered in units 1/2 are important to build your understanding of the stuff that you will cover in units 3/4 (stuff like how to use the periodic table, atoms and bonding, and writing and understanding reactions, and I assume stuff about spectroscopy and everything but we aren't up to that yet (not that much of this will probably make heaps of sense yet!)), but overall, if you are to not fully grasp some of this stuff, you will still probably go over it again in units 3/4 again.

The best thing I could recommend you do is just to look over the study design, and maybe familiarise yourself a little with the periodic table (don't try to memorise it or anything...just maybe understand what each piece of information for the element means), but in saying that, you'll cover all of this in units 1/2, so you probably don't need to stress too much! Especially without resources like a textbook it is probably pretty difficult to start preparing quite yet!
And as Sine said, your unit 1/2 marks dont actually contribute to your study score directly. It's just giving you the foundations that you need to get through units 3/4 the following year!
It seems daunting looking at it all now, but once you get into it, you'll start to get the hang of it, I'm sure. Best of luck and let me know if you have any other questions or if this makes no sense!  ;D
2018 - Biology, Further
2019 - English, Chemistry, Methods, Health and Human Development
2020 - Bachelor of Science (Melbourne Uni)

SS1314

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 05:15:39 pm »
I'm doing both methods and chem this year, and from what I have found, units 1 and 2 for chem and methods are relevant as a foundation, however there is still a lot of new content in 3/4.
For chem, the main concepts that are covered in units 1/2 are important to build your understanding of the stuff that you will cover in units 3/4 (stuff like how to use the periodic table, atoms and bonding, and writing and understanding reactions, and I assume stuff about spectroscopy and everything but we aren't up to that yet (not that much of this will probably make heaps of sense yet!)), but overall, if you are to not fully grasp some of this stuff, you will still probably go over it again in units 3/4 again.

The best thing I could recommend you do is just to look over the study design, and maybe familiarise yourself a little with the periodic table (don't try to memorise it or anything...just maybe understand what each piece of information for the element means), but in saying that, you'll cover all of this in units 1/2, so you probably don't need to stress too much! Especially without resources like a textbook it is probably pretty difficult to start preparing quite yet!
And as Sine said, your unit 1/2 marks dont actually contribute to your study score directly. It's just giving you the foundations that you need to get through units 3/4 the following year!
It seems daunting looking at it all now, but once you get into it, you'll start to get the hang of it, I'm sure. Best of luck and let me know if you have any other questions or if this makes no sense!  ;D

thank you for the reply :)

dashnog

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 10:59:00 pm »
+1
Frankly, I found more of the concepts I've learned in Bio 1-4 translates to Chem 1-2 nicely, even if it's not explicitly related. Concepts just string together.

Anyway, to prepare for VCE Chemistry, you can get a headstart by memorising your valencies of ions, valencies of polyatomic ions, get familiar with the solubility table and electrochemical series (you don't need to memorise these, but just be familiar for what they're used for and you will encounter them throughout the year)
Learning your valencies will give you the edge in the start of the year to excel way ahead of your classmates, and the more you know about the Periodic Table, the less you'll need to use it and the faster you will be during assessments.
Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Scholar's Program) at Monash (2021-2023)

ATAR: 94.XX
2019: VCE Biology & VCE Psychology
2020: VCE Extended Investigation, Chemistry, Music Performance, Methods, Literature

SS1314

• Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 10:27:48 pm »
Frankly, I found more of the concepts I've learned in Bio 1-4 translates to Chem 1-2 nicely, even if it's not explicitly related. Concepts just string together.

Anyway, to prepare for VCE Chemistry, you can get a headstart by memorising your valencies of ions, valencies of polyatomic ions, get familiar with the solubility table and electrochemical series (you don't need to memorise these, but just be familiar for what they're used for and you will encounter them throughout the year)
Learning your valencies will give you the edge in the start of the year to excel way ahead of your classmates, and the more you know about the Periodic Table, the less you'll need to use it and the faster you will be during assessments.

I will keep that in mind! Thank you for the reply  :)

thatdumbstudent

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 03:05:50 pm »
Currently doing unit 2 chem rn ... i did no preparation before and its all going fine! :)