Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 19, 2024, 06:18:02 am

Author Topic: 4 unit maths questions  (Read 16173 times)  Share 

deeian

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Cabramatta High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: 4 unit maths questions
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 09:56:21 am »
how do you sketch h(root x) for question 5?
i'm actually a year 11 student starting 4 unit maths early and i haven't learnt most of 3 unit so i may need extra guidance.

Deeian

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 10:49:27 am »
how do you sketch h(root x) for question 5?

Let's break it down. For x<0, the function will have no value, since the square root of a negative number has no real value in the real domain. So we can disregard that completely.

Now, the current function has roots at x=0, x=2, x=4, x=6 etc. This will remain true, however, it is now the square root of x which must equal these values! So:

So the intercepts will be in these locations. Essentially, what is happening here is that the triangular wave is being stretched out more and more with larger values of x. The further up you go, the further apart the intercepts. This is easiest to see if you look at the graph over a large domain.

To get a clue as to the shape itself, consider x=0 to x=1. In this region, we can model the behaviour of the curve with the function:

Since in the original, the function in this domain was equivalent to y=x. What this (and probably plotting a few points would help if you are unsure) tells us is that while the triangular shape is still present, it is now slightly curved. The square root sign, beyond stretching out the waveform, is also adding the curved shape that we see in the graph of y equals the square root of x.

The graph looks like this. This is an extremely difficult question, although I suspect there might be some 4 Unit processes that eliminate the more intuitive approach I have taken. I am unsure exactly what you've covered, so I stuck with intuition  ;D

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 10:53:55 am »
Let's break it down. For x<0, the function will have no value, since the square root of a negative number has no real value in the real domain. So we can disregard that completely.

Now, the current function has roots at x=0, x=2, x=4, x=6 etc. This will remain true, however, it is now the square root of x which must equal these values! So:

So the intercepts will be in these locations. Essentially, what is happening here is that the triangular wave is being stretched out more and more with larger values of x. The further up you go, the further apart the intercepts. This is easiest to see if you look at the graph over a large domain.

To get a clue as to the shape itself, consider x=0 to x=1. In this region, we can model the behaviour of the curve with the function:

Since in the original, the function in this domain was equivalent to y=x. What this (and probably plotting a few points would help if you are unsure) tells us is that while the triangular shape is still present, it is now slightly curved. The square root sign, beyond stretching out the waveform, is also adding the curved shape that we see in the graph of y equals the square root of x.

The graph looks like this. This is an extremely difficult question, although I suspect there might be some 4 Unit processes that eliminate the more intuitive approach I have taken. I am unsure exactly what you've covered, so I stuck with intuition  ;D

(Image removed from quote.)

Just wanted to quickly jump in here to throw my support behind Jamon: 4U Graph sketching is literally all about intuition. The method is always the same: Look for sensible points to test, and sensible limits to take, in order to get an idea of what the new graph should look like! There isn't any "real" maths going on: just pure intuition. Plotting points is always the easiest way to get a general idea of what the graph should look like. If you're not sure what to do, just transform some points and make something up.

Jake
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 10:57:28 am »
+1
i'm actually a year 11 student starting 4 unit maths early and i haven't learnt most of 3 unit so i may need extra guidance.

Deeian

Extension 2 is an extremely difficult course, I'd argue one of the hardest Secondary subjects in Australia in terms of the level of thinking required. You absolutely MUST know the more basic content first. Doing 4 Unit, half a term into Year 11 is bloody difficult, you are a trooper! Now don't get me wrong, we are so super happy helping you, but if you are struggling with the majority of questions in this paper then it is a sign that the paper is beyond what you can handle for the moment.

I'd strongly recommend that you get a grasp of 2/3 unit content first. Try some Extension 1 papers to get your head around the concepts, before you tackle 4 Unit Difficulty questions. I consider these difficult as a university student, so of course they are going to be hard for you.

Again, totally not discouraging you. Keep asking questions and getting help! I'm just looking out for your best interests, and if you need complete guidance through a 4 Unit Paper, it is a sign you should probably tackle some of the easier stuff first. It is nay impossible to explain 4 Unit questions properly unless you have an extremely solid knowledge of 2 Unit and Extension 1.

Could I ask why you decided to tackle 4U early? Surely your school isn't mandating it?   :D

Happy Physics Land

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • Forum Obsessive
  • MAXIMISE your marks by MINIMISING your errors
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 11:14:05 am »
Extension 2 is an extremely difficult course, I'd argue one of the hardest Secondary subjects in Australia in terms of the level of thinking required. You absolutely MUST know the more basic content first. Doing 4 Unit, half a term into Year 11 is bloody difficult, you are a trooper! Now don't get me wrong, we are so super happy helping you, but if you are struggling with the majority of questions in this paper then it is a sign that the paper is beyond what you can handle for the moment.

I'd strongly recommend that you get a grasp of 2/3 unit content first. Try some Extension 1 papers to get your head around the concepts, before you tackle 4 Unit Difficulty questions. I consider these difficult as a university student, so of course they are going to be hard for you.

Again, totally not discouraging you. Keep asking questions and getting help! I'm just looking out for your best interests, and if you need complete guidance through a 4 Unit Paper, it is a sign you should probably tackle some of the easier stuff first. It is nay impossible to explain 4 Unit questions properly unless you have an extremely solid knowledge of 2 Unit and Extension 1.

Could I ask why you decided to tackle 4U early? Surely your school isn't mandating it?   :D

Yeah umm I guess I can solve your curiosity jamon. In Ngo and Sons, which is a tutoring facility, they have accelerated mathematics classes for top-end students. In year 10 they will be sitting 2unit and 3unit HSC exams so that by the time of year 12 they would have done it twice already and this ensures a higher band 6 success rate. Some especially talented year 10 students would even sit the 4u HSC exam to prepare for exam in year 12. So I guess deeian is in the same process of learning 4unit maths in year 11 and sitting the HSC exam for 4u so that he would have done the exam once before the official HSC 4u exam in year 12.
Maths Extension 2: 93
Maths Extension 1: 97
English Advanced: 92
Physics: 95
Chemistry: 92
Engineering Studies: 90
Studies of Religion I: 98

2017 ATAR: 99.70
University of Sydney Civil Engineering and Commerce
University of Sydney Faculty of Civil Engineering Scholar
Student Representatives Council Student Housing Officer
City of Sydney Council Sydney Ambassador
University of Sydney Business School Student Mentor
Entrepreneur, Company of Year Junior Achievements Australia

deeian

• Adventurer
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 11:15:37 am »

ooh, oops, i forgot to say that this is actually my tutor work. i do 3 unit and 4 unit and i learn the required topics such as differentiation in 3 unit then i do curve sketching for 4 unit. the really why i could do some was because i missed out some classes when we were learning how to sketch different curves. i'm really interested in 4 unit maths (i don't know why haha) that's why i do it

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2016, 12:04:14 pm »
Yeah umm I guess I can solve your curiosity jamon. In Ngo and Sons, which is a tutoring facility, they have accelerated mathematics classes for top-end students. In year 10 they will be sitting 2unit and 3unit HSC exams so that by the time of year 12 they would have done it twice already and this ensures a higher band 6 success rate. Some especially talented year 10 students would even sit the 4u HSC exam to prepare for exam in year 12. So I guess deeian is in the same process of learning 4unit maths in year 11 and sitting the HSC exam for 4u so that he would have done the exam once before the official HSC 4u exam in year 12.

Thanks for that HPL, I totally didn't know this was even a thing! I'm from out West, out of touch  ;)

Happy Physics Land

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2016, 12:12:09 pm »
Thanks for that HPL, I totally didn't know this was even a thing! I'm from out West, out of touch  ;)

Hahahaha no worries Jamon, its a really absurd system though, never in my life have I went to a tutoring place that adopts this type of "extra accelerated maths"

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2016, 12:14:16 pm »
ooh, oops, i forgot to say that this is actually my tutor work. i do 3 unit and 4 unit and i learn the required topics such as differentiation in 3 unit then i do curve sketching for 4 unit. the really why i could do some was because i missed out some classes when we were learning how to sketch different curves. i'm really interested in 4 unit maths (i don't know why haha) that's why i do it

Ahh yep, totally makes sense now. Props to you for getting a head start!

Accelerating yourself and getting a head start on content is awesome. What I'll say to you in this case then is that I recommend you ask your tutor for some extra 3U differentiation and curve sketching questions, or even pop over to the 3U forums and ask for some practice questions from us! Come back to this paper when you are a little more rehearsed in 3U Questions: Don't worry, they can be absolute monsters as well  ;)

Beyond this, be sure to stop into the 2U/3U forum and check out some of the content guides I have written! 4U Guides are definitely something on our list, the idea being that in the future if you miss classes, you can just check out the guide and catch yourself up. Stay tuned  ;D

Again, massive props for working hard to give yourself an advantage!  ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2016, 12:21:47 pm »
+1
Hahahaha no worries Jamon, its a really absurd system though, never in my life have I went to a tutoring place that adopts this type of "extra accelerated maths"

I suppose my response would be (and this is general advice) is that there is currently an "ultra-achievement" culture in NSW. That is, everyone thinks they need to do the high scaling subjects, do accelerated subjects, pay thousands for private tutoring, etc, to succeed. And as such, there is massive pressure on every student to do these things, even if they aren't for them. Now don't get me wrong, these things are great if it suits your goals and learning style, but I personally believe there is way too much pressure on students to meet the "99.95" criteria.

Now this isn't boasting, but look at me. No fancy private school. No private tuition. Did a weird mix of subjects. But I met my goals because I played to my individual strength and learning style.

This is what students should do. Play to their strengths. Don't do the extra accelerated content unless you are interested in it (like you Deeian!) and it suits you as a learner. There is way too much pressure to conform to an unrealistic standard, be an individual  ;D

deeian

• Adventurer
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2016, 12:35:16 pm »
Ahh yep, totally makes sense now. Props to you for getting a head start!

Accelerating yourself and getting a head start on content is awesome. What I'll say to you in this case then is that I recommend you ask your tutor for some extra 3U differentiation and curve sketching questions, or even pop over to the 3U forums and ask for some practice questions from us! Come back to this paper when you are a little more rehearsed in 3U Questions: Don't worry, they can be absolute monsters as well  ;)

Beyond this, be sure to stop into the 2U/3U forum and check out some of the content guides I have written! 4U Guides are definitely something on our list, the idea being that in the future if you miss classes, you can just check out the guide and catch yourself up. Stay tuned  ;D

Again, massive props for working hard to give yourself an advantage!  ;D
Sorry, but i'm new to this forum, i only signed up yesterday, could you link me to the 4U notes that you were talking about?

deeian

• Adventurer
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2016, 04:21:54 pm »
Sorry, but i'm new to this forum, i only signed up yesterday, could you link me to the 4U notes that you were talking about?
please?

Happy Physics Land

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2016, 04:33:22 pm »
I suppose my response would be (and this is general advice) is that there is currently an "ultra-achievement" culture in NSW. That is, everyone thinks they need to do the high scaling subjects, do accelerated subjects, pay thousands for private tutoring, etc, to succeed. And as such, there is massive pressure on every student to do these things, even if they aren't for them. Now don't get me wrong, these things are great if it suits your goals and learning style, but I personally believe there is way too much pressure on students to meet the "99.95" criteria.

Now this isn't boasting, but look at me. No fancy private school. No private tuition. Did a weird mix of subjects. But I met my goals because I played to my individual strength and learning style.

This is what students should do. Play to their strengths. Don't do the extra accelerated content unless you are interested in it (like you Deeian!) and it suits you as a learner. There is way too much pressure to conform to an unrealistic standard, be an individual  ;D

My legal friends saw your posts on facebook and they saw your rank for legal studies and now they all admire you.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2016, 07:51:52 pm »

Sorry, perhaps I was slightly misleading, we don't have any such notes available just yet. However, they are "on the list" so to speak, so hopefully they will be around in the near future!  ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2016, 08:00:34 pm »
My legal friends saw your posts on facebook and they saw your rank for legal studies and now they all admire you.

I blush  ;D glad to know I'm being of help  :)