Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 04:36:25 pm

Author Topic: kit's vce journey  (Read 7384 times)

rkjthguakj

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +45
Re: kit's vce journey
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2020, 11:04:20 am »
+6
Dealing with 'Bad' SAC Scores & Online Learning

[Disclaimer:] The idea of a 'bad' SAC score is subject to interpretation and should in no way be determined by the standards of someone else, because everybody has different abilities, expectations, aspirations and not to mention cohorts and SAC difficulties. Therefore, you should not hold your own standards to the expectations of someone else and don't feel disheartened if you feel that you've done 'bad' by someone else's definition.

English
Creative SACs are by far my least favourite form of English assessment. I was quite happy when I saw the criteria marking for my SAC (all lying within High/Very High) however I was pretty shocked with the actual mark. I must have been misinformed about the corresponding mark for the rubric because I would've assumed that all High/Very Highs would put me in 25-27/30 but instead I received a 23/30. In my opinion, it is by no means a bad score, but I was definitely disappointed with it, hoping I could've achieved higher.

I am not particularly disheartened by the score, considering it was the first SAC and knowing my school it will definitely get moderated up. Our teachers are harsh markers, my cohort is insanely good and not to mention the SAC task required for us to write the creative piece in the form of a script. I am quite optimistic about English this year because I've put an insane amount of work (at least 5 practice SACs) and I've come a long way. I had my first over online alternative SAC for English yesterday. It was an odd experience and I hope I scored with the 25+/30 range. I have high hopes for English (hopefully 45+ or at least 40+).

Economics
I have to admit that the SAC score for Economics AOS 1 was absolutely disappointing (65%). I just have to learn and do better next time and hopefully future improvements and VCAA moderating still gives me a chance for 45+. It definitely is still not out of the question. The SAC was insanely long (I couldn't finish it) and I don't doubt I am at the bottom of my class. My cohort of 8 is insanely good at economics. But every time I feel pessimistic about my SS, 2019 Business Management offers me a glimmer of hope for a 45+ (averaging Bs and Cs on SACs but scaled to A+s for 43SS). So hopefully Economics will turn out for the better.

Legal Studies
My Legal Studies SAC for AOS 1 turned out better than I expected but not as good as I could've hoped (78%). Considering the situation was quite bad (announcement during our SAC and didn't finish) this is not as bad as it could've been. I can only hope that this is my worst SAC score and I just barrel through the year. I feel quite optimistic for legal studies, I just need to keep improving.

Methods
I am extremely pessimistic about methods. At this rate, I might just be aiming for 35+. I've been averaging fails on our methods test (which do not account for anything) which does not provide a positive outlook for methods. The most frustrating thing about my scores is that I understand it but I make so many dumb mistakes and my teacher is an extremely harsh marker. I've heard from the methods cohort from last year that our school SACs are insanely hard (apparently much harder than the exam) but do not scale that much and not as many achieved 40+ as other years and only two people received a 45 last year. This does not give me great hope for a 40+ in methods. But considering we have not completed any SACs and our SAC alternatives will be online, technically a 50 in methods is not out of the question. As much as I would like to achieve a 40+ in methods, I am quite doubtful. Nonetheless, all I can do is just grind and do my best.

Hope everyone is doing okay during this time. I'll be sure to update with all this extra time. Have a great day  :)
2019: Business Management
2020: English | Methods | Economics | Legal Studies | Global Politics
2021: Bachelor of Commerce @ UniMelb
2022- 2024: Bachelor of Arts @ UniMelb | Diploma in Languages (Chinese)

rkjthguakj

• Forum Regular
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2020, 11:23:38 am »
+4
Lowkey in Crisis

These past few months have been crazy for us with online learning and self-isolation. I am someone who finds it very hard to stay on track with school at home, hence why I always study at libraries. So these few months have not been kind, but oh well I shall push through.

I recently came out from a careers interview with a sudden dilemma. I wasn't sure where else to put this.

But I have always been certain that I wanted to undertake the Bachelor of Commerce with a Diploma in Languages before undertaking the Juris Doctor. Until now.

As with all VTAC preferences, more than one most be put down, in case the worst comes to worst. Below my first preferences were just Bachelor of Commerce at Monash and some Arts degrees. But my careers counsellor actually suggested to me the Philosophy, Politics and Economics degree at Monash. I had always heard about the esteemed PPE at Oxford and my interest was piqued because of my elevated interested in politics. I had started considering going to politics, such as foreign policies or the IMF, after taking up Global Politics and absolutely loving it.

I watched the PPE Monash Webinar and I definitely felt reeled by aspects of the degree. But I am still in conflict about whether I want to take up the Bachelor of Commerce at Melbourne or the PPE at Monash.

Not only am I torn between the degrees but also the universities. In all honesty, I prefer the University of Melbourne because of the option of breadth subjects. Breadth subjects will allow me to take up two languages (Chinese and Japanese) rather than just one through the Diploma in Languages. I also prefer Melbourne because I plan to take up the JD at Melbourne and it is apparently easier for Melbourne undergrad students to apply (and I'm lowkey aiming for the 99 guaranteed entry).

The Bachelor of Commerce has always been my first preference course because I enjoy understanding the economic/business side of things and I originally wanted to go into corporate law. I enjoy maths and economics, so it's always been on my mind.

The main appeal of the PPE is the politics side of things and could not be taken up with the Bachelor of Commerce. Politics is something I have definitely considered going into and have a love for. The PPE degree has been esteemed by global figures and leaders and it makes it all the more appealing. The economics in the PPE would definitely quench my thirst for commerce but may not be able to explore other factors in commerce such as accounting or finance.

I am honestly quite torn between the two degrees, but as for now I would probably leave my first preference as the Bachelor of Commerce. If anyone knows anything about PPE at Monash (because it's a very new degree), please let me know or perhaps provide some insight.

Hope everyone has a nice day!  :)

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2020, 08:41:55 pm »
+4
If anyone knows anything about PPE at Monash (because it's a very new degree), please let me know or perhaps provide some insight.
I've had a quick look at the course map for the Bachelor of Politics, Philosophy and Economics at Monash. It seems like once you pick a stream, you'll have 8 free elective units in which you can take whatever unit you like, as long as:
(a) it isn't prohibited by your other units
(b) your faculty allows it (which is usually the case for most units)
(c) the faculty managing the units you take allow you to take it
(d) you fulfil all the requirements of the BPPE by the end of your degree

This means you could potentially take a language or two, such as Chinese and Japanese, in those spots without the Diploma of Languages. If you plan well, you might even be able to get minors in them. (A minor only requires 4 units at Monash.)     

I'd also be looking into the following for your course dilemma:
1. any prerequisites for the JD, if there are any
2. convenience
3. social atmosphere and campus "feel"
4. time taken (if that's important to you)
5. cost of degree (if that's important to you)
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

rkjthguakj

• Forum Regular
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2020, 11:37:31 am »
I've had a quick look at the course map for the Bachelor of Politics, Philosophy and Economics at Monash. It seems like once you pick a stream, you'll have 8 free elective units in which you can take whatever unit you like, as long as:
(a) it isn't prohibited by your other units
(b) your faculty allows it (which is usually the case for most units)
(c) the faculty managing the units you take allow you to take it
(d) you fulfil all the requirements of the BPPE by the end of your degree

This means you could potentially take a language or two, such as Chinese and Japanese, in those spots without the Diploma of Languages. If you plan well, you might even be able to get minors in them. (A minor only requires 4 units at Monash.)     

I'd also be looking into the following for your course dilemma:
1. any prerequisites for the JD, if there are any
2. convenience
3. social atmosphere and campus "feel"
4. time taken (if that's important to you)
5. cost of degree (if that's important to you)

Thank you so much for informing me!! This definitely does help me make a decision more towards the PPE but I should definitely still look into both of them and see how everything goes.

Thanks you!

rkjthguakj

• Forum Regular
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2020, 08:22:16 pm »
+3
Pessimistic About VCE

Not too surprisingly, I am doing worse than expected (against my extremely high expectations for 2020). What bothers me most is the fact that Unit 3 is weighted more even though we were either doing the SACs during online schooling (opportunity for cheating) or SACs taken after online learning (a huge disadvantage for everyone).

For the most part, the only goals that remain the same is for mid-40s SS in English (with A average in strong cohort and difficult SAC marking).

I should probably stop relying on my cohort strength to moderate SACs up because that is the main thing that holds me onto the hope of a 99+ ATAR, but at this rate the chances grow slimmer.

That isn't to say that I've given up! If anything, this is even more motivation to work harder! 99 is still within my realms with less than half of the year to go and many more SACs and exams to go. But if I were to continue at my current rate, a 95-97 would be a more realistic goal.

English
English has been going quite well and a mid-40s SS is still within the realms of possibility. I was a bit disappointed in the POV statement of intention that I lost marks due to accidentally referring to Annika Smethurst as Samantha (indicating poor knowledge of topic): .

Methods
I am doing much better than my methods teacher had anticipated and a low 40s is surprisingly still possible for me. I achieved a B+ on our SAC (with cohort average at a C), which blew my teacher's mind, as I was averaging around 35% on our methods test. As a revelation she made, studying for a methods test that does not contribute to our study score when we have SACs for other subjects was at the bottom of our priority lists. After that, she actually really encouraged me and was hoping for me to earn at least an A for my next SAC (which I took today). Unfortunately, for part 1 I think I performed extremely bad but for part 2 & 3, I felt confident but am bothered by the fact that I didn't have enough time to finish the SAC. So whilst A is definitely still possible, I think it's unlikely. On the otherhand, I'm actually relatively optimistic about methods!

Economics
Oh boy. I truly love this subject with all my heart but this subject does not love me :(. Economics content as a humanities subject is conceptually hard. But once you're able to wrap your head around the content, the next challenge is learning how to answer questions. This seems to be the pitfall of my economics endeavour. Our SACs are usually 30 marks with 10 two-markers and 10 multiple-choice questions. This leaves very little room for error and with harsh marking, you can demonstrate a sound knowledge of the content but lose marks for missing out on definitions or detail. This easily drags down your SAC score and is the bane of my economics mission. I've been averaging low 70s on my SACs, which is not quite the 45-50SS pursuit I was hoping for. I'm truly wondering how far a strong cohort and difficult SACs will take me.

Global Politics
Easily my favourite subject (tied with economics). Everything about this subject is amazing (content, teacher and work). I have been doing okay, but I would be hoping to do better for a mid-40s score. I was a bit cut about my last SAC score, which I genuinely deserved because I was not well versed in the content, with a low 60s for short-answer and 75% for the essay. But I'm rather hopeful for the rest of the year with global politics, as long as I keep up with the workload!

Legal Studies
Oh boy (again). I would consider this as techincally my 'easiest subject' yet somehow my worst. The content feels like memorisation to do well in a legal SAC, but I honestly found Unit 3 so boring that I didn't even have the motivation to take extreme lengths to revise. This is my least revised subject because I deem it as my 'easiest' but with Unit 4, which is more politics and law-making based, my interest is being piqued and maybe that sweet A+ to reviving my SS is coming. Anyways, if I could choose again, I probably would not have picked legal studies to study as a VCE subject (should've done spesh or Japanese rip). But oh well, it's not the end of the world.

Looking back at my busman grade average usually gives me hope but with the new amendments, everything is so uncertain.

Sorry for that rather pessimistic and bland journal entry. I hope everyone had a lovely day <3

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2020, 08:42:37 pm »
+3
Keep working hard your doing GREAT :D I believe a 99 is in sight  for you and even if you don’t get there (which I don’t think will happen) you’ll feel so good that you have it your all which has been a lot!!! Good luck :)

Pessimistic About VCE

What bothers me most is the fact that Unit 3 is weighted more even though we were either doing the SACs during online schooling (opportunity for cheating) or SACs taken after online learning (a huge disadvantage for everyone).

This absolutely SUCKS! We had a 4 hour English sac unsupervised and everyone cheated but I didn’t because I didn’t want to and now I’ve “lost” my ranking. To top it all off two days later vcaa is like unit 3 is worth more than unit 4. I okay for other subjects but in English where sac exam weighting is 1:1 it’s a bit of a problem. Glad I’m not the only one who noticed.
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

rkjthguakj

• Forum Regular
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2020, 01:54:54 pm »
Keep working hard your doing GREAT :D I believe a 99 is in sight  for you and even if you don’t get there (which I don’t think will happen) you’ll feel so good that you have it your all which has been a lot!!! Good luck :)

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement!! It really means a lot to me and I'll be rooting for you too!! The whole situation this year sucks but there's not really much we can do about it :( I hope you had a nice day! <3333

rkjthguakj

• Forum Regular
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2021, 10:58:31 am »
+10
Road to University

It's been a while since I've updated, due to the craziness of 2020 and of course, VCE.

After receiving a shockingly disappointing ATAR, I was pretty gutted. I ended up moving around my preferences and wasn't so sure about what to do, because I was certain that there was no chance I was getting into Commerce at Melbourne.

So I was tossing up between Arts at UoM, Commerce at Monash or the PPE at Monash. I ultimately changed to enrol in Arts of UoM, because I felt that there was a lot I wanted to do in the Arts degree and it would be easier to transfer into Commerce at UoM, if I felt that I wanted to. I was enrolled and planned to major in Economics and Chinese and was/am also enrolled in the Diploma of Languages to study Japanese. There were a lot of majors I was tossing up between. Mostly between economics, politics/international studies, media & communications and Chinese. The enrolment was such a pain but I was excited to start university with subjects I enjoyed, nonetheless.

My subjects were:
- Power
- Introductory Microeconomics
- Chinese 1
- Japanese 1

It wasn't until February Rounds that I was in for a surprise. I was expecting to receive an offer like the PPE at Monash, which I would've rejected anyways. But instead, I found that had I had been accepted into my first preference course - COMMERCE @ THE UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE.

I was shook and ecstatic. As it turns out, everyone was right about my ATAR being close enough to receive a second-round offer, (which I was pessimistic about). So now I am delighted to announce that I will be undertaking the Bachelor of Commerce at the University of Melbourne!!

Luckily, it wasn't too much trouble to enrol compared to the first time, but it was a pain having to reorganise the Diploma in Languages again. I chose to take up the general stream as I plan to major in finance (but who knows).

My subjects this semester are:
- Quantitive Methods 1
- Principles of Finance
- Chinese 1
- Japanese 1

Stop 1 has been helpful but is hard to get to because of all the congestion. For some reason, I no longer have my requisite waiver for Japanese and Chinese but also can't do the placement test again. Hopefully, everything is fixed soon.

In addition to the academic side of university, I have signed up for two O-Week camps. I have heard some wild things about these camps but also that they are memorable experiences that build incredible friendships and bonds.

Anyways, I'm excited for the year to come! Hope everyone has a good year!  :)

cmati

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2021, 03:15:18 pm »
Road to University

It's been a while since I've updated, due to the craziness of 2020 and of course, VCE.

After receiving a shockingly disappointing ATAR, I was pretty gutted. I ended up moving around my preferences and wasn't so sure about what to do, because I was certain that there was no chance I was getting into Commerce at Melbourne.

So I was tossing up between Arts at UoM, Commerce at Monash or the PPE at Monash. I ultimately changed to enrol in Arts of UoM, because I felt that there was a lot I wanted to do in the Arts degree and it would be easier to transfer into Commerce at UoM, if I felt that I wanted to. I was enrolled and planned to major in Economics and Chinese and was/am also enrolled in the Diploma of Languages to study Japanese. There were a lot of majors I was tossing up between. Mostly between economics, politics/international studies, media & communications and Chinese. The enrolment was such a pain but I was excited to start university with subjects I enjoyed, nonetheless.

My subjects were:
- Power
- Introductory Microeconomics
- Chinese 1
- Japanese 1

It wasn't until February Rounds that I was in for a surprise. I was expecting to receive an offer like the PPE at Monash, which I would've rejected anyways. But instead, I found that had I had been accepted into my first preference course - COMMERCE @ THE UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE.

I was shook and ecstatic. As it turns out, everyone was right about my ATAR being close enough to receive a second-round offer, (which I was pessimistic about). So now I am delighted to announce that I will be undertaking the Bachelor of Commerce at the University of Melbourne!!

Luckily, it wasn't too much trouble to enrol compared to the first time, but it was a pain having to reorganise the Diploma in Languages again. I chose to take up the general stream as I plan to major in finance (but who knows).

My subjects this semester are:
- Quantitive Methods 1
- Principles of Finance
- Chinese 1
- Japanese 1

Stop 1 has been helpful but is hard to get to because of all the congestion. For some reason, I no longer have my requisite waiver for Japanese and Chinese but also can't do the placement test again. Hopefully, everything is fixed soon.

In addition to the academic side of university, I have signed up for two O-Week camps. I have heard some wild things about these camps but also that they are memorable experiences that build incredible friendships and bonds.

Anyways, I'm excited for the year to come! Hope everyone has a good year!  :)

Yayyyy! Congratulations :)

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2021, 05:17:54 pm »
+2
Congratulations BComm is an exciting course, I wish you all the best!
VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis