Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 03:31:15 pm

Author Topic: Can I do accounting 3/4 without doing 1/2? Will it be difficult?  (Read 6037 times)  Share 

emmykatexo

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Hey guys, at my school we have the option of doing unscored Religion and pick up another VCE subject, so I was thinking of doing accounting 3/4. My current subjects in year 11 are English, Methods 1/2, Legal 1/2, Psychology 1/2, Bus Man 3/4 and Religion and Society 1/2. I just want your opinions. Will I struggle with Units 3/4 of Accounting if I haven't done 1/2?
TIA :)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Can I do accounting 3/4 without doing 1/2? Will it be difficult?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 11:47:01 am »
+3
Hey guys, at my school we have the option of doing unscored Religion and pick up another VCE subject, so I was thinking of doing accounting 3/4. My current subjects in year 11 are English, Methods 1/2, Legal 1/2, Psychology 1/2, Bus Man 3/4 and Religion and Society 1/2. I just want your opinions. Will I struggle with Units 3/4 of Accounting if I haven't done 1/2?
TIA :)
I did 1/2 accounting but dropped it so only gonna be able to give 2nd hand info.

A lot of 3/4 accounting is an extension of 1/2 accounting so unlike some vce subjects the 1/2 content is actual useful. You will sometimes have time to re-learn some 1/2 content (or in your casing just learning :) ) before you add extra concepts to it. If you really want to do it you can always learn the requried 1/2 concepts during the summer holidays.

So really depends on the type of person whether they can cope in 3/4 without 1/2.

Hopefully this helps!!  :P

Yueni

• Trailblazer
  • One's foe is your friend.
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 06:28:23 pm »
+1
The basic concepts from 1/2 are extended upon in 3/4, however, that's not saying 1/2 is absolutely necessary. It is best to ask your school and how they teach the 3/4 course. Accounting is a difficult subject to begin but after you get down the basics it is smooth sailing from there. The question stands whether or not you are willing to put in that extra work at the start to catch up.

Jigsaw

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 08:19:08 pm »
Hi there!

As others have posted above me, the core fundamentals of accounting are taught in units 1/2 of the subject, and extended upon in units 3/4. A lot of the chapters are an extension of previous areas. It's best to ask your school exactly what is presumed knowledge from units 1 and 2.

My personal opinion is that it is doable, however you will need to put some work in (preferably over the summer holidays), to learn the fundamentals! Accounting is one of those subjects whereby if you have a solid understanding of the basics, you should be able do well :)

All the best!
2017: | Business Management [47] |
2018: | Legal Studies [50] (Premier's) | English [48] | Accounting [41] | Japanese SL [38] | Maths Methods [32] |

ATAR: 99.40 2019 Onwards: Laws (Hons)/Arts @ Monash