Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 14, 2024, 04:15:31 am

Author Topic: Not meeting maths methods prerequisite  (Read 1046 times)  Share 

LolYi

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Not meeting maths methods prerequisite
« on: January 01, 2021, 11:47:58 pm »
Hello everyone
So the situation is I have met all requirements for bachelor of  biomedical science at Monash University except for mathematical methods prerequisite. I have scored a 24 rather than the required 25. Is it possible to get a special dispensation from Monash regarding it? I have had a rather significant amount of personal issues through out the year, and currently my case manager is helping me negotiating with Monash university, attempting to help me to gain a special dispensation. Has anyone ever been in similar shoes? I understand university are usually firm about their prerequisites, but this year Monash has lowered their prerequisite for eal, so perhaps they'll be a bit more flexible due to the pandemic? It has been my dream course since the beginning and the idea of missing out on it due to one study score is honestly killing me......

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Not meeting maths methods prerequisite
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 10:58:29 am »
+3
I have seen rare cases where UoM has accepted a 24 raw SS for their 25+ SS courses, but so far, not Monash. However, with the pandemic in 2020, you might be able to win the appeal and sneak in. Hopefully that works.

If that plan fails, as a back up plan, you can still try going via other courses and transfer in after a semester with good grades e.g. start in a Bachelor of Science or Health Science, do as many subjects from Biomed as you can (and you might need to take a Methods equivalent subject to fulfil the prereq, but check with Monash first), get a 70+ WAM (75+ WAM would be preferable, but not necessary, both of which are doable) and then apply to transfer for first year Sem 2 into Biomed. Still gets you there, although you’ll be in a different course for one semester, if push comes to shove. (I know it’s not the greatest, but that’s why it’s a back up plan.)
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

LolYi

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Not meeting maths methods prerequisite
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 12:47:46 am »
I have seen rare cases where UoM has accepted a 24 raw SS for their 25+ SS courses, but so far, not Monash. However, with the pandemic in 2020, you might be able to win the appeal and sneak in. Hopefully that works.

If that plan fails, as a back up plan, you can still try going via other courses and transfer in after a semester with good grades e.g. start in a Bachelor of Science or Health Science, do as many subjects from Biomed as you can (and you might need to take a Methods equivalent subject to fulfil the prereq, but check with Monash first), get a 70+ WAM (75+ WAM would be preferable, but not necessary, both of which are doable) and then apply to transfer for first year Sem 2 into Biomed. Still gets you there, although you’ll be in a different course for one semester, if push comes to shove. (I know it’s not the greatest, but that’s why it’s a back up plan.)

Thank you so much for the hope. I will keep on fighting for a special dispensation, but if that fails, I shall take the bachelor of science then take a bridging course for maths methods and attempt to transfer after semester 1!