Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 26, 2024, 01:48:09 am

Author Topic: Case Study  (Read 2285 times)  Share 

Deng

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Case Study
« on: October 19, 2016, 11:05:36 pm »
For our essay, i was wondering would it be very risky to go into the exam without knowing a case study on role/influences and operations for a case study ?

Thanks
English Advanced -89
Legal Studies - 90
Business Studies -92
Economics - 92
Mathematics - 88

AFix

• Trailblazer
Re: Case Study
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 11:17:28 pm »
make em up

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 11:42:31 pm »
For our essay, i was wondering would it be very risky to go into the exam without knowing a case study on role/influences and operations for a case study ?

Thanks

It is quite risky to go into the exam without knowing a case study, as AFix says you can definitely make them up but it is better to go in prepared as sometimes it is quite difficult to make it up on the spot - especially make it up in a way that proves your point and seems legitimate. I wouldn't worry so much about the role of any key business function but definitely influences, processes and strategies and possibly interdependence but the strategic role is not really a broad enough dot point for an essay.

Hope this helps :)
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

rinagee12

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 01:09:36 am »

Thanks

It is a little risky, you might not necessarily need in-depth knowledge but at least have an idea. Particularly for influences and strategies (and how effective the strategies have been in achieving business goals).
ATAR: 95.10

HSC 2016: English (Advanced) | English Ext 1 | Mathematics | Legal Studies |
Business Studies | Ancient History

2017: B Commerce / B Science @ UNSW

lvsarose

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 06:43:29 pm »
you def need a case study-> think of it as giving examples for the points you're trying to make

kneehaha

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 09:18:20 pm »
Roughly how much case study is 'too much' ?

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 11:01:03 pm »
Roughly how much case study is 'too much' ?

If you case study becomes the main focal point of the paragraph or essay and you have no mention of the question or topic. Then it becomes too much and unnecessary.
E.g. I once read an essay which started with "The case study I chose is KFC" and proceeded to tell me the history of how KFC was formed and didn't address the question until the last sentence of each paragraph. I would definitely say this is an extreme case of too much case study; but u get the point --> your case study should be there to back up your argument and the syllabus not the other way round.

Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

Thebarman

• Trendsetter
  • Gone fishing
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 09:05:52 pm »
Do you only need 1 case study, or would it be a good idea to have a second one up your sleeve when going into an exam?
“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!”
2017 HSC: Advance English, Mathematics, SORII, Biology, Business Studies, Modern History.
Atar: 92.05

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 10:48:18 pm »
+2
Do you only need 1 case study, or would it be a good idea to have a second one up your sleeve when going into an exam?

Hey Thebarman,

I'm assuming you are talking about the extended response. For this, the syllabus requires you to use case studies in your extended response - hence you must use more than one. Some seminars I've been to have all said that you could use 2 and still get full marks. So really, I would advise to incorporate more than one business into your answers.

For my own preparation, I couldn't be bothered memorising a case study for each dot point. Yes they help you understand the content but I could not remember each case study. So I just made them up within the exam; structuring it in a way that would explain my point better than if there was a case study I had prepared and was thus inflexible.