Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 17, 2024, 06:06:55 am

Author Topic: Proposed changes to the syllabus (where's Trotsky and Speer??)  (Read 4917 times)  Share 

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Proposed changes to the syllabus (where's Trotsky and Speer??)
« on: October 17, 2016, 08:54:07 pm »
Hey random thread, but if you want to distract yourself from Modern study with Modern here are the proposed changes to the syllabus...

https://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabuses/curriculum-development/pdf_doc/st6-modern-hist-draft-syl-16-v5.pdf

I actually really REALLY don't like it. Don't fix something that isn't broken :( Only change (in my opinion) that should be made is more time because the work load in 3 hours is ridiculous.

What do you guys think? Have any of your teachers spoken about this? I know mine are fuming, and as you can probably tell I agree haha.

Changing the Core study to basically Nazi Germany, but keeping Nazi Germany as a national study topic still? Basically getting rid of more than half of the personalities (including Trotsky and Speer???? two of the most popular ones???). Russia looks so confusing now. I'm not a fan. Was looking forward to tutoring after this year, but that means I'm going to have to pretty much completely relearn the course  >:(

Anyways back to studying the normal syllabus haha, but just needed somewhere to vent about this cos I'm mad haha
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 08:57:53 pm by sudodds »
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
Re: Proposed changes to the syllabus (where's Trotsky and Speer??)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 09:08:11 pm »
Hey random thread, but if you want to distract yourself from Modern study with Modern here are the proposed changes to the syllabus...

https://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabuses/curriculum-development/pdf_doc/st6-modern-hist-draft-syl-16-v5.pdf

I actually really REALLY don't like it. Don't fix something that isn't broken :( Only change (in my opinion) that should be made is more time because the work load in 3 hours is ridiculous.

What do you guys think? Have any of your teachers spoken about this? I know mine are fuming, and as you can probably tell I agree haha.

Changing the Core study to basically Nazi Germany, but keeping Nazi Germany as a national study topic still? Basically getting rid of more than half of the personalities (including Trotsky and Speer???? two of the most popular ones???). Russia looks so confusing now. I'm not a fan. Was looking forward to tutoring after this year, but that means I'm going to have to pretty much completely relearn the course  >:(

Anyways back to studying the normal syllabus haha, but just needed somewhere to vent about this cos I'm mad haha

Hey Suddods! I have to agree with your assessment, I'm not a fan of this new curriculum. When is it being implemented?
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 09:12:02 pm »
Hey Suddods! I have to agree with your assessment, I'm not a fan of this new curriculum. When is it being implemented?

From what my teacher was saying, I think in 2018. So next years year 12's won't be impacted, but the year after will be :/ I don't know if these changes have gone through yet though. We'll have to see :( Fingers crossed xx

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 09:14:33 pm »
+1
students of NSW, unite!
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 09:18:24 pm »
+1
From what my teacher was saying, I think in 2018. So next years year 12's won't be impacted, but the year after will be :/ I don't know if these changes have gone through yet though. We'll have to see :( Fingers crossed xx

Let's hope not! I actually really like the current syllabus, so like you say, we'll have to wait and see.

pughg16

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 09:26:40 pm »
+1
Personally...I love the current syllabus! Especially Speer!!
I hope they don't change it...I have friends who will be doing HSC that year, and it will be kinda sad if they want study notes that won't link!!
#KEEP THE CURRENT CURRICULUM BOSTES!!! ;D

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 09:27:43 pm »
+1
I hope they don't change it...I have friends who will be doing HSC that year, and it will be kinda sad if they want study notes that won't link!!

#Don'tmakeModerngreatagain

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 09:28:09 pm »
+2

#KeeptheModernsyllabusAncient!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 09:31:47 pm »

Thats how I feel about Trotsky! Especially because he was already erased from history once by Stalin  :'(

Do you really want to have something in common with STALIN bostes??

pughg16

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 09:39:23 pm »
+2
Thats how I feel about Trotsky! Especially because he was already erased from history once by Stalin  :'(

Do you really want to have something in common with STALIN bostes??

;D That really speaks to the conscience....I hope BOSTES isn't turning dictatorial!!  :D
#KEEPTROTSKY&SPEERALIVE
Moderator Edit: We do not condone, or wish to replicate, the actions of Speer or Trotsky.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 09:40:20 pm by jakesilove »

birdwing341

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +4
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 09:43:58 pm »
+1

I'm a little more optimistic about the syllabus change - I think that while there have been a number of changes which I don't like (which include keeping the craziest personalities and removing the best ones - Speer my main man!!) they have tried to mainstream the syllabus, which could be a positive (although not overall a major fan).

With year 11, they've tried to include a bit of History Extension and kind of give a background to the purpose of history as such, which I think could actually be quite interesting and useful - it could be an opportunity to intro and hone skills for the future as opposed to jumping into a content study, a bit like economics! They have removed a number of redundant case studies from year 11 which will streamline the state and make it easier to compare everyone. And also the Shaping of the Modern World is a HUGE improvement from the current 'World at the turn or the century or something', as it allows people to kind of diversify a little, where the current syllabus was, I dare say a little too rigid.

I like the idea of having the core as Nazi Germany - but I don't like the idea of a Source-based study of Nazi Germany, so I'm not a fan of that. The changes to the national studies seem not to gotten rid of too many of them, which is a bit disappointing :( And I really don't like the Change in the Modern World aspect of the new syllabus with the small number of personalities.

I should clarify when I say streamlined, I mean removing deadweights - topics no-one does - so I hoped they would be able to do more of that, and keep some of the more popular stuff. I guess maybe another problem they were trying to address was the incredibly large candidature of the Germany National Study cohort.

All in all, I like the changes to the year 11 aspect of the syllabus, but not the year 12 ones.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 09:56:18 pm »
I'm a little more optimistic about the syllabus change - I think that while there have been a number of changes which I don't like (which include keeping the craziest personalities and removing the best ones - Speer my main man!!) they have tried to mainstream the syllabus, which could be a positive (although not overall a major fan).

With year 11, they've tried to include a bit of History Extension and kind of give a background to the purpose of history as such, which I think could actually be quite interesting and useful - it could be an opportunity to intro and hone skills for the future as opposed to jumping into a content study, a bit like economics! They have removed a number of redundant case studies from year 11 which will streamline the state and make it easier to compare everyone. And also the Shaping of the Modern World is a HUGE improvement from the current 'World at the turn or the century or something', as it allows people to kind of diversify a little, where the current syllabus was, I dare say a little too rigid.

I like the idea of having the core as Nazi Germany - but I don't like the idea of a Source-based study of Nazi Germany, so I'm not a fan of that. The changes to the national studies seem not to gotten rid of too many of them, which is a bit disappointing :( And I really don't like the Change in the Modern World aspect of the new syllabus with the small number of personalities.

I should clarify when I say streamlined, I mean removing deadweights - topics no-one does - so I hoped they would be able to do more of that, and keep some of the more popular stuff. I guess maybe another problem they were trying to address was the incredibly large candidature of the Germany National Study cohort.

All in all, I like the changes to the year 11 aspect of the syllabus, but not the year 12 ones.

My problem with changing the core to Nazi Germany and keeping it as a national study is that it definately won't encourage schools to look at other case studies, because marks wise it'll be better for students to just double dip. I understand why BOSTES has done it, 70% of the state studying Germany, but it still seems silly to me. Maybe change the other Nazi Germany to Weimar? I do like that the national study will be only internally assessed though. Hopefully that will place less stress on students in the exam.

I feel like if they're going to change the core study, change it to WWII or the Cold War (even though yes, I know that is a international study already, but it could swap section) That way it will at least be a bit more international and will have at least some relevance to other national studies. Cold War fits with so many, USA, Russia, Germany, Indochina, Australia etc, but not to the extent where students can double dip, And I feel like it'd still fit under shaping of the modern world (though WWI does fit also imo)

Though I do agree with you that prelim doesn't look that bad. Especially linking some more extension stuff in there.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 09:58:54 pm by sudodds »

birdwing341

• Trendsetter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 10:12:57 pm »
My problem with changing the core to Nazi Germany and keeping it as a national study is that it definately won't encourage schools to look at other case studies, because marks wise it'll be better for students to just double dip. I understand why BOSTES has done it, 70% of the state studying Germany, but it still seems silly to me. Maybe change the other Nazi Germany to Weimar? I do like that the national study will be only internally assessed though. Hopefully that will place less stress on students in the exam.

I feel like if they're going to change the core study, change it to WWII or the Cold War (even though yes, I know that is a international study already, but it could swap section) That way it will at least be a bit more international and will have at least some relevance to other national studies. Cold War fits with so many, USA, Russia, Germany, Indochina, Australia etc, but not to the extent where students can double dip, And I feel like it'd still fit under shaping of the modern world (though WWI does fit also imo)

Though I do agree with you that prelim doesn't look that bad. Especially linking some more extension stuff in there.

I think there is actually a clear distinction between the Core and the National Study of Germany. The Core is primarily focused on the second half of the current Germany syllabus - so it looks only at the actual nature of Nazi power, its impacts etc. which is why it can be used as a core study (though I don't prefer it like this). And it also has a minor personality study so it's not just Germany. The National Study has become a lot more focused on the Weimar republic; its birth and decline (with a minor focus on Hitler) as they've switched out the aspect of Nazism in power in the current syllabus for the section of the current WWI syllabus pertaining to Imperial Germany to give greater depth of background to the creation of the Republic.

What I do like is this change has the effect of seriously cutting down the volume of content required for the Germany case study (which is, from what I've heard, more than other case studies). But I do see your point about double-dipping, although there's probably less than we would imagine because the focus of the core will be on source analysis (bother! I loved writing essays on Nazism in power coz it's so interesting haha).

What I do see, however, is that there is an increased focus on modernising the syllabus, especially with the 'Shaping the Modern World' section.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 11:13:57 pm »
I think there is actually a clear distinction between the Core and the National Study of Germany. The Core is primarily focused on the second half of the current Germany syllabus - so it looks only at the actual nature of Nazi power, its impacts etc. which is why it can be used as a core study (though I don't prefer it like this). And it also has a minor personality study so it's not just Germany. The National Study has become a lot more focused on the Weimar republic; its birth and decline (with a minor focus on Hitler) as they've switched out the aspect of Nazism in power in the current syllabus for the section of the current WWI syllabus pertaining to Imperial Germany to give greater depth of background to the creation of the Republic.

What I do like is this change has the effect of seriously cutting down the volume of content required for the Germany case study (which is, from what I've heard, more than other case studies). But I do see your point about double-dipping, although there's probably less than we would imagine because the focus of the core will be on source analysis (bother! I loved writing essays on Nazism in power coz it's so interesting haha).

What I do see, however, is that there is an increased focus on modernising the syllabus, especially with the 'Shaping the Modern World' section.

Yeah maybe you're right. I don't do Germany so when it comes to the actual contents of the course I definately don't know the intricacies of the syllabus, and it does sounds better what you're saying than I initially though. However I still stand by that I don't think it should be both a national study and a core study even if there are slight (or even not so slight) variations. In Ancient the core study is Pompeii and Herculaneum, so they don't let you do Rome as a society study, even though they would be very different.
It will just encourage more schools to pick Germany as even if they are not the same, one provides greater depth and background to the other. This isn't a bad thing because I'm sure is an absolutely amazing course, however so are many of the other case studies which will continue to be neglected even more so than they are now  :( (bar Australia haha, you couldn't pay me enough money to study modern Australian history again). I still think the core should fit at least in some capacity as many of the national studies as possible, or none at all in order to make sure no students are advantaged/disadvantaged by the choices made by their teachers. Even though I found WWI boring, it was good in that it was relevant at least in some capacity to Germany, USA and Russia (which is extremely content heavy as well because of all the changing communist theory and practice, which is why not as many schools choose it anymore according to the guy who wrote the current syllabus. I don't know about the USA though it looked long in the textbook haha), which from what I've heard are the most popular case studies, satisfying around 90% of the state. Idk, I probably just have to accept that in the end life isn't always fair and bostes can't please everyone hahaha. Maybe this syllabus will end up working great (and I really hope it does because I'd hate for my favourite subject to fall on its face, even if I've already finished) and again what you have said makes me feel a bit better. I guess we'll just have to wait until 2018 :/
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 11:22:36 pm by sudodds »

birdwing341

• Trendsetter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 10:05:20 am »
+1
Yeah maybe you're right. I don't do Germany so when it comes to the actual contents of the course I definately don't know the intricacies of the syllabus, and it does sounds better what you're saying than I initially though. However I still stand by that I don't think it should be both a national study and a core study even if there are slight (or even not so slight) variations. In Ancient the core study is Pompeii and Herculaneum, so they don't let you do Rome as a society study, even though they would be very different.
It will just encourage more schools to pick Germany as even if they are not the same, one provides greater depth and background to the other. This isn't a bad thing because I'm sure is an absolutely amazing course, however so are many of the other case studies which will continue to be neglected even more so than they are now  :( (bar Australia haha, you couldn't pay me enough money to study modern Australian history again). I still think the core should fit at least in some capacity as many of the national studies as possible, or none at all in order to make sure no students are advantaged/disadvantaged by the choices made by their teachers. Even though I found WWI boring, it was good in that it was relevant at least in some capacity to Germany, USA and Russia (which is extremely content heavy as well because of all the changing communist theory and practice, which is why not as many schools choose it anymore according to the guy who wrote the current syllabus. I don't know about the USA though it looked long in the textbook haha), which from what I've heard are the most popular case studies, satisfying around 90% of the state. Idk, I probably just have to accept that in the end life isn't always fair and bostes can't please everyone hahaha. Maybe this syllabus will end up working great (and I really hope it does because I'd hate for my favourite subject to fall on its face, even if I've already finished) and again what you have said makes me feel a bit better. I guess we'll just have to wait until 2018 :/

Yeah unfortunately :( I hope the syllabus works out, but idk...We will just have to wait and see :)