Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 15, 2024, 09:41:45 pm

Author Topic: HSC Biology Question Thread  (Read 348930 times)  Share 

itssona

• MOTM: APR 17
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +10
Re: Biology Question Thread
« Reply #735 on: September 04, 2017, 01:57:52 pm »
heeey :) help pls
HSC 2018 : Maths 3U, Maths 4U, English Advanced, Biology, Physics, Chemistry

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #736 on: September 04, 2017, 02:16:11 pm »
+3
heeey :) help pls

Hi,

Not 100% sure, but I think the answer is C:
- Autotrophs make their own food by converting inorganic molecules to organic compounds (e.g. through photosynthesis)
- Heterotrophs have to consume autotrophs to produce energy, and they respire (which provides CO2 for the autotrophs)

Hope this helps
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

itssona

• MOTM: APR 17
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #737 on: September 04, 2017, 03:34:14 pm »
Hi,

Not 100% sure, but I think the answer is C:
- Autotrophs make their own food by converting inorganic molecules to organic compounds (e.g. through photosynthesis)
- Heterotrophs have to consume autotrophs to produce energy, and they respire (which provides CO2 for the autotrophs)

Hope this helps

thank you!!!
HSC 2018 : Maths 3U, Maths 4U, English Advanced, Biology, Physics, Chemistry

sidzeman

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #738 on: September 04, 2017, 06:43:10 pm »
For those who do the genetics elective
  - can someone please explain the difference between homeotic and homeobox and hox genes?

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #739 on: September 10, 2017, 02:40:11 pm »
For ectotherms and endotherms how do their metabolism AND enzyme rates differ at different temperatures?

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

Mathew587

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #740 on: September 13, 2017, 09:52:58 pm »
+3
For ectotherms and endotherms how do their metabolism AND enzyme rates differ at different temperatures?

Endotherm
At a low temp,
  • Metabolism increases to maintain body temp and function
    Enzyme rates stay contstant due to a regulated internal environment- homeostasis. However, extreme temps will result in denaturing (obv)
At a normal temp,
  • Metabolism is normal
    Enzyme rate is normal
At a high temp,
  • Metabolism is higher once again as body needs to work harder to maintain homeostasis
    Enzyme rate stays constant due to homeostasis. However, extreme temps will result in denaturing (once again obv)

Ectotherm
At a low temp,
  • metabolism is low cos unable to do shit
    Enzyme rate is low cos of dependency on ext temp for function. will result in denaturing if extreme temps
At a normal temp,
  • metabolism is normal
    enzyme rate is normal
At a high temp,
  • Metablosim is way higher as activity correlates with temperature increase
    Enzyme rate is higher till peak is reached followed by drops and eventual denaturing.

you could have just thought about it...
HSC 2017- 90.58
English Adv: 85
Mathematics Adv: 89
Biology: 86
Chemistry: 81
Economics:86
Business Stud: 91

~ UNSW Economics/Science ~

vanessa mbogo

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #741 on: September 15, 2017, 11:35:46 am »
Use your understanding of genetics and evolution to explain  why some charcteristics becomes more common in a population than others please help

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #742 on: September 15, 2017, 02:32:27 pm »
+2
Use your understanding of genetics and evolution to explain  why some charcteristics becomes more common in a population than others please help

You need to have a crack at this first then we'll help :)
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

gh971

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #743 on: September 16, 2017, 11:27:41 am »
Could someone please help me with how to best answer this question??

Compare the way mammals transport oxygen and carbon dioxide in the blood. (4 MARKS)

This is my answer but I'm worried I'm missing things:
Mammalian blood transports oxygen and carbon dioxide between the lungs and other tissues throughout the body.These gases are carried in various forms such as dissolved in the plasma or chemically combined with haemoglobin. For oxygen transport, oxygen binds with haemoglobin in the lungs, where the oxygen concentration in the blood is low, and transports it to where the oxygen is needed. Once it reaches the desired location the oxygen bond easily breaks and the oxygen is used for processes such a respiration. However, for carbon dioxide transport it is carried in the blood in in two forms; dissolved in plasma and travels as bicarbonate ions resulting from the dissociation of carbonic acid.

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #744 on: September 16, 2017, 12:03:35 pm »
+3
Compare the way mammals transport oxygen and carbon dioxide in the blood. (4 MARKS)

Hi!

I'm sitting the HSC this year (so not entirely sure if I'm correct), but I've included some comments below:

Mammalian blood transports oxygen and carbon dioxide between the lungs and other tissues throughout the body.Good introductory sentence :) These gases are carried in various forms such as dissolved in the plasma or chemically combined with haemoglobin. For oxygen transport, oxygen binds with haemoglobin in the lungs, where the oxygen concentration in the blood is low, and transports it to where the oxygen is needed. Once it reaches the desired location the oxygen bond easily breaks and the oxygen is used for processes such a respiration Not entirely sure about the relevance of this sentence to the question. However, for carbon dioxide transport it is carried in the blood in in two forms; dissolved in plasma and travels as bicarbonate ions resulting from the dissociation of carbonic acid.You've talked about the similarities and differences between these two gases, which directly addresses the question :)

Could include statistics for both of the gases:
CO2:
         - HCO32- = 70%
         - Carbamino-haemoglobin molecules in red blood cells = 23%
         - Dissolved directly in the plasma = 7%
O2:
         - Carried by red blood cells in the form of oxyhaemoglobin = 98.5%
         - Dissolved in plasma = 1.5%

Hope this helps

Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #745 on: September 16, 2017, 12:18:05 pm »
Endotherm
At a low temp,
  • Metabolism increases to maintain body temp and function
    Enzyme rates stay contstant due to a regulated internal environment- homeostasis. However, extreme temps will result in denaturing (obv)
At a normal temp,
  • Metabolism is normal
    Enzyme rate is normal
At a high temp,
  • Metabolism is higher once again as body needs to work harder to maintain homeostasis
    Enzyme rate stays constant due to homeostasis. However, extreme temps will result in denaturing (once again obv)

Ectotherm
At a low temp,
  • metabolism is low cos unable to do shit
    Enzyme rate is low cos of dependency on ext temp for function. will result in denaturing if extreme temps
At a normal temp,
  • metabolism is normal
    enzyme rate is normal
At a high temp,
  • Metablosim is way higher as activity correlates with temperature increase
    Enzyme rate is higher till peak is reached followed by drops and eventual denaturing.

you could have just thought about it...

Thanks for this, but pretty sure metabolism decreases at high temps for endotherm cause it produces heat

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #746 on: September 16, 2017, 12:47:33 pm »
+2

This is my answer but I'm worried I'm missing things:
Mammalian blood transports oxygen and carbon dioxide between the lungs and other tissues throughout the body.These gases are carried in various forms such as dissolved in the plasma or chemically combined with haemoglobin. For oxygen transport, oxygen binds with haemoglobin in the lungs, where the oxygen concentration in the blood is low, and transports it to where the oxygen is needed. Once it reaches the desired location the oxygen bond easily breaks and the oxygen is used for processes such a respiration. However, for carbon dioxide transport it is carried in the blood in in two forms; dissolved in plasma and travels as bicarbonate ions resulting from the dissociation of carbonic acid.

Hey!

When we're dealing with 4-5-6 mark questions, the best way to approach them is to create a plan or to break down how these marks may be obtained. Remember that these 4 mark questions can actually be asked in four separate 1 mark questions, so always try to break them down to its simplest form.

Compare the way mammals transport oxygen and carbon dioxide in the blood.
So, obviously we need to describe how mammals transport oxygen in the blood, which constitutes one mark.
We then need to describe how they transport carbon dioxide in the blood, which constitutes another mark.
Since the question is a compare question, we need to identify the similarities (1 mark) and the differences (1 mark) between the processes.

This will give you your 4 marks, so using this scaffold as the basis of your answer, let's compare how you may have been marked in an actual exam.

Mammalian blood transports oxygen and carbon dioxide between the lungs and other tissues throughout the body. These gases are carried in various forms such as dissolved in the plasma or chemically combined with haemoglobin. For oxygen transport, oxygen binds with haemoglobin in the lungs, where the oxygen concentration in the blood is low, and transports it to where the oxygen is needed. (1) Once it reaches the desired location the oxygen bond easily breaks and the oxygen is used for processes such a respiration. However, for carbon dioxide transport it is carried in the blood in in two forms; dissolved in plasma and travels as bicarbonate ions resulting from the dissociation of carbonic acid. (1)

You may scrape three marks, but it's a very risky three marks. You'll definitely get at least two since you've described the process for both oxygen and carbon dioxide, but explore the similarities and differences a bit more when comparing the two. Let me know if you have any more trouble.

angelahchan

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #747 on: September 18, 2017, 09:43:51 am »
Hi I've really struggled with graphs like no matter how hard I try I always seem to stuff them up (maths has never been my strong point). I just wanted to clarify a few things bc I've gotten different responses from different teachers about certain things. Firstly I don't understand when you are supposed to join the dots or draw a line of best fit (I lost a mark in trials for drawing a LOBF). Also I get confused over whether you are supposed to connect the first dot to 0 or not ? Thirdly, I find I always have doubt over whether to use a bar or line graph and I always end up picking the wrong one, I understand that line is usually continuous data and discrete for bar (I think), but I still get confused about it all like in one of my exams they wanted a bar graph for an experiment involving time?? Anyway, some clarification would be super helpful as the graph in trials seriously stuffed up the majority of my exam after I did the entire thing wrong after spending 15 mins on it and had to start all over again (leaving me with 5 mins to do the 7 marker which was not ideal haha). 

1) Usually you join the dots freehand- I don't think I've done a hsc question which asks you for line of best fit, but if the points seem really scattered e.g. you can't draw a clean curve/line with it you may have to do best fit
2) I think that depends on the question, but start at the first value they give you e.g. if you have to a graph an experiment and it starts at room temp of, say, 28 degrees then start at 28  rather than 0 (and if the experiment is based on time then obviously time has to start at 0)
3) sorry  I've never done a past hsc with bar graphs before so I can't really give advice here- maybe if you have the question with you you can post it here to get clarification?

idk if this is helpful, but here's a  few tips for line graphs:
1) have a title
2)put  independent on x axis, dependent on y
3) remember to label axis with units

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #748 on: September 18, 2017, 10:08:59 am »
Use your understanding of genetics and evolution to explain  why some characteristics become more common in a population than others please help

According to Darwin/Wallace's theory of natural selection, the organisms with traits best suited to their environment will survive and reproduce, passing on the favourable trait to their offspring, while the ones without the favourable trait will eventually die out in the population. Hence favourable traits will become more common in population

shit answer sorry, but i tried, hope it helps:)
ATAR Goal 90

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #749 on: September 18, 2017, 11:27:50 am »
+1

-genetic variation exists in a population
-Selection pressure may exist
-some phenotypes are more favourable than others under this selection pressure hence more likely to survive and reproduce
-allele frequencies change
-Hence over time the favourable characteristics are more common in the population