Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 05:52:58 pm

Author Topic: Essay structure  (Read 3188 times)

Nialllovespie

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Essay structure
« on: March 31, 2017, 12:37:21 pm »
What is the best structure for a T.S Eliot essay? Are there multiple ways to structure our response? If so what would be the pros and cons of using each method?

Thank you!

Nia

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: Essay structure
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 01:25:31 pm »
What is the best structure for a T.S Eliot essay? Are there multiple ways to structure our response? If so what would be the pros and cons of using each method?

Thank you!

Nia

Hey Nia :)

I'm sure there are multiple correct ways to structure it, but I know that for me, I always structured TS Eliot essays thematically :) So i'd take the core themes of his poetry - if I remember correctly, the themes I usually stuck with were Modernity, Isolation/Disconnection and Meaning (the latter of which I linked to religion) - and write a paragraph on each, incorporating how two poems demonstrate the pervasiveness of these themes. However I didn't weave the poems in and out, instead discussing them one after the other, within the thematically driven paragraph (if that makes sense). Not 100% sure what the pros and cons would be of different methods, but this worked pretty well for me :)

Hope this helps!

Susie
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Nialllovespie

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 12:16:40 pm »
+1
Yes this makes sense!! I read a few essays with this structure so I know the idea your talking about!! Sure, I might give this was a shot and see how it turns out!!!

Thank you so much!!

Woops sorry I should of made this in the one message but would I only discuss 2 poems or can I discuss three? Or would that overfill/ complicate the paragraphs using the thematic structure?

Also, in HSC will we be asked to only use TWO poems? Is there a maximum amount of poems we can write about as long as we include the poem prescribed in the question?

Mod edit [Aaron]: Merged double post.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 02:21:47 pm by Aaron »

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 12:30:31 pm »
Woops sorry I should of made this in the one message but would I only discuss 2 poems or can I discuss three? Or would that overfill/ complicate the paragraphs using the thematic structure?

Also, in HSC will we be asked to only use TWO poems? Is there a maximum amount of poems we can write about as long as we include the poem prescribed in the question?

There isn't really a set amount of poems you can discuss, however I'd probably only stick to two per paragraph, just so that you can explore them in enough depth. If the question specifies a poem that you must discuss, then that should feature within every paragraph. But like, if you really think that 3 poems relate well to that theme and think that you can succinctly discuss all three then go for it! Just make sure your paragraph doesn't end up too long because you can easily lose track of time in an exam.

As far as I am aware, the HSC will usually ask you to discuss AT LEAST two (this can either be asking you to pick two of your own, or they will specify a poem and you pick a related), but you are more than welcome to discuss more :) In my HSC they specified 'Hollow Men' (the bastards) and said to discuss AT LEAST one other, but I also spoke about 'The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock' and 'Journey of the Magi.' However I am only basing this off past questions, and T S Eliot hasn't been around for a while. If you're ever confused, they will make it clear in the question - if they say AT LEAST two, then there is no maximum, however if they don't include the "at least" part, then just stick to the amount specified.

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Nialllovespie

• Trendsetter
Essay structure
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 08:25:03 pm »
+1
Ohhhhh yeah that's makes sense!! Thank you heaps for all your advice!!

Sorry one last question! If you say talking about 2 poems is fine, does that mean we can have the structure of

Poem 1: (theme 1)
Poem 2: (theme 1)
Poem 1: (theme 2)
Poem 2: (theme 2)

And then make links to eachother?
Or would it just be easier to have the one theme and 2 poems in the one paragraph?

Sorry! Thank you heaps for sharing your knowledge!!

Nia
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 08:28:24 pm by Nialllovespie »

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 02:48:45 pm »
+1
Ohhhhh yeah that's makes sense!! Thank you heaps for all your advice!!

Sorry one last question! If you say talking about 2 poems is fine, does that mean we can have the structure of

Poem 1: (theme 1)
Poem 2: (theme 1)
Poem 1: (theme 2)
Poem 2: (theme 2)

And then make links to eachother?
Or would it just be easier to have the one theme and 2 poems in the one paragraph?

Sorry! Thank you heaps for sharing your knowledge!!

Nia

Hey there!

If you're not used to integrating your essays, this is the best way to go about structuring. Just make sure your paragraphs are of equal length/you're spending the same amount of time analysing each :) Also, I would be inclined to analyse two very different poems from the body of work when using this structure. That way, you can show how differing themes are interpreted across the oeuvre, which allows you to construct an argument regarding textual integrity
Currently offering tutoring, send me a PM or email me at [email protected]
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

ATAR: 99.85
Studying Arts/Law at Sydney University

Nialllovespie

• Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 08:43:03 am »
Hiya

Sorry for the late reply!

Oh yeah that's a fantastic idea. That's very trueee

So if I was to go with that structure I would need different themes? Alright I can do that

Thank you!!

Nia

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 10:26:52 am »
Hiya

Sorry for the late reply!

Oh yeah that's a fantastic idea. That's very trueee

So if I was to go with that structure I would need different themes? Alright I can do that

Thank you!!

Nia

Hey! I'd stick with the same themes, its just better to pick poems that express the themes differently, rather than writing basically the same information twice (along with the reasons emily stated also). This can be a little tricky when it comes to Eliot, as a lot of his poems are really the same shade of depressing, so even if the poems are similar, just make sure that the way that you discuss how the theme is demonstrated within each poem is different - techniques are a great way to do this if you're stuck :)

So for example:
Theme 1: Search for Meaning
- Journey: Meaning can be found through religion
- Prufrock: Life is meaningless

The link between the poems can not only be their thematic concern of meaning, but also the role of religion and spirituality, because Prufrock deals with that as well (though in a less explicit way).

Hope this helps!

Susie
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 10:32:03 am by sudodds »

Nialllovespie

• Trendsetter
Essay structure
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 03:01:17 pm »
Yes that makes sense!! That's such a smart idea!! Daymn your good!!
Does integrating your essays make your English skills look more sophisticated or whatever?

And can I just discuss 3 themes with 2 poems?

I'm so indecisive as to wether I should do 2 poems talking about 2-3 themes and integrate the two poems into 3 paragraphs or if I should do the 2 themes, 2 poems and 4 paragraphs

Also if I choose the first option, would u recommend talking about 2 or 3 themes?

Thanks in advance again!!

Nia
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 03:08:34 pm by Nialllovespie »

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 03:43:22 pm »
Yes that makes sense!! That's such a smart idea!! Daymn your good!!
Does integrating your essays make your English skills look more sophisticated or whatever?

And can I just discuss 3 themes with 2 poems?

I'm so indecisive as to wether I should do 2 poems talking about 2-3 themes and integrate the two poems into 3 paragraphs or if I should do the 2 themes, 2 poems and 4 paragraphs

Also if I choose the first option, would u recommend talking about 2 or 3 themes?

Thanks in advance again!!

Nia

No worries! Glad this is all helping :)

In regards to your question on integrated essays, I'm not 100% sure either way tbh. On the one hand, I would say yes structurally it looks more sophisticated, however I never integrated my essays (found it too confusing) and I still got a good mark for English. I know some schools can be pretty insistent on it, and it's definitely worth testing out to see if you are comfortable with them, but there is absolutely no reason (in my opinion) to suggest that you can't do equally as well in your final HSC exam without integrating your essays. If others have any better insight on this however, happy to be proven wrong.

And for sure you can discuss 3 themes with 2 poems :) I'd say that 2 is the minimum however, any less than that and you won't have enough detail (plus you probably won't be answering the question since they usually ask for at least two). In terms of the amount of themes I'd stick with 3 - I don't think you would cover enough with only two.

Basically, the structure that I would recommend would be:

Paragraph 1: Theme 1 - topic sentence about the prevalence of the theme in Eliot's general oeuvre.
  First 1/2 --> Poem 1
  Second 1/2 --> Poem 2

Paragraph 2: Theme 2 - topic sentence about the prevalence of the theme in Eliot's general oeuvre.
  First 1/2 --> Poem 1
  Second 1/2 --> Poem 2

Paragraph 3: Theme 3 - topic sentence about the prevalence of the theme in Eliot's general oeuvre.
  First 1/2 --> Poem 1
  Second 1/2 --> Poem 2

Susie :)