Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 03:32:49 pm

Author Topic: Graphing - Understanding the concavity and smoothness of a graph  (Read 661 times)  Share 

frog0101

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Hi,
Whilst doing the 2003 HSC, I came across some graphing questions that have questioned my understanding. When graphing Q3(i), I did not graph it smooth through the 'zero', but instead treated as two different functions... will it always be smooth for other functions similar to this when there is an zero' due to asymptote?
For 3(iv), I didn't sketch a change in concavity near x=+/-(1), I instead drew it as being concave down for all x>1, x<1 (instead of being concave up for very close to x=+/-(1)... How do you know if there is a change in concavity in the resultant function eg. why was there a change in concavity (and would we be expected to draw the graph with a change in concavity in order to get full marks)?

Questions can be found at:
http://educationstandards.nsw.edu.au/wps/wcm/connect/dede688e-11d3-4752-b40d-b83e42941906/maths-ext2-hsc-exam-2003.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=ROOTWORKSPACE-dede688e-11d3-4752-b40d-b83e42941906-lGd8Xdw

Solutions can be found at:
http://www.angelfire.com/ab7/fourunit/sol.pdf

These solutions are the same provided by The Mathematical Association of New South Wales in the Blue Past HSC Books

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 09:02:23 am by frog0101 »

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Graphing - Understanding the concavity and smoothness of a graph
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 09:37:45 am »
If you meant the two asymptotes at \(x=\pm 1\) for \(y=f(x)\) (which then become 'zeroes' at \(x=\pm 1\) for \( y=\frac{1}{f(x)} \), you're right to suspect that technically speaking we don't know. Because in theory we can't just stare at a graph and always deduce things that relate to vertical asymptotes.

However, the HSC usually rigs its examples so that they should be smooth. Essentially, for ones like that they purposely give you things like \( y= \frac{1}{ax^2+bx+c} \), so that when you reciprocate it you're always bound to get a parabola.

To be honest, I don't think they can penalise you for it either per se.

Concavity will certainly not be required to obtain all the marks (as opposed to purposely omitting a stationary point). They never mark based off concavity because there's always a risk of too much ambiguity. That solution was generated under the assumption we already knew it was \( y=-\frac{1}{(x-1)(x+1)}\) so that we could reverse engineer it.

(For me, this is more of an advanced "intuition" thing. It's obvious that for the most part the graph is concave down, because we need to approach \(y=1\) from below. But as \(x\to 1^+\), \(f(x) \to -\infty\). As \(f(x) \to -\infty\), \( e^{-f(x)} \to 0^+ \), however it doesn't just spike to 0. Instead, it slowly decays to 0 (with a monotone, concave up behaviour) as we go to progressively large negative values.
So if we left it concave down at 0, we don't really mirror this 'decaying' behaviour. Rather, we seem to be reflecting some kind of spike in the values at \(x=1\) instead.)