Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 04, 2024, 08:18:21 am

Author Topic: Questions about JMSS  (Read 2207 times)  Share 

TheSapaInca

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +22
Questions about JMSS
« on: December 24, 2017, 07:45:05 pm »
Hey, I'm not sure if I'm going to sit the exam for JMSS but I've got some questions for it that I hope people who go there will help me answer :D
1. Is there a website for enrolment there? (for the test)
2. Do you as a student feel safe there with a different gender, are you bullied?
3. Is the technology and facilities there good?
4. Is there weekly sport?
5. How much approximately is the percent of whites, asians or blacks there? ( Not trying to be racist, cause I want to find a got environment to make friends) Please don't feel offended.
6. Are you allowed to do 3/4 VCE subjects in Year 11? If so, how many?
7. When does school start and finish?

That's all
I guess other people could ask questions about JMSS if they have any here.
Goal ATAR: 99.00<

_jen_012.x

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
Re: Questions about JMSS
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 09:51:55 pm »
+1
You should definitely sit the exam! Yes, their website has info on admissions test, go to the admissions link. Don't think their is much bullying but idk. The facilities is open planned and subjects are usually team taught. Lots of facilities and access to Monash Uni at times. Sport is a subject and  I think as well as a co-curricular. School is still pretty LOTE but less Asians then MHS. To do 3/4 in year 11 you must sit the methods test if you get in, they let you start 1/2 in year 10. I believe school starts 8.50-3.15 and 3.30 Wednesdays.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 09:55:36 pm by _jen_012.x »
class of 21’

subjects: glopol (2020) english economics philosophy further

Appo

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 10:00:35 pm »
+1
1. You can head to http://www.jmss.vic.edu.au/news/18968/admissions/?type_fr=58 to enrol for next year's admission test.

2. Yeah, everyone is treated equally and JMSS has a large emphasis towards women in STEM.

3. The technology facilities are good. They have a green screen room and a computer room and also have subjects/electives/opportunities and competitions around I.T.

4. There is fortnightly 'sport' which is a 2 hour (2 period) session at the Monash Sports Centre. Weekly H/PE lessons are also run which alternate weekly between Health and Physical Education (this all applies to year 10).

5. 1/3 Asian, 1/3 Indian and Sri Lankan, 1/3 White (Australian, European, American etc etc). Good mix, people are not selective based on race, anyone can be friends with anyone.

6. If you average 70% or higher overall across all your subjects (can be negotiated), you are eligible for one 3/4 subject in Year 11. If you average 90% or higher (also can be negotiated), you are eligible for two 3/4 subjects in Year 11 (only 10-20 students end up doing two).

7. Schools starts at 8:40 am and finishes at 3:15 pm. On Wednesday school starts at 8:40 am and finishes at 2:55 pm.

I currently attend JMSS and am more than willing to answer your questions.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 10:05:37 pm by Appo »

_jen_012.x

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 10:04:21 pm »
+2
Also, you get to study science based electives in year 10. They range from pharmaceuticals to astronomy/physics. This is a major factor of why I'm trying out.
class of 21’

subjects: glopol (2020) english economics philosophy further

TheSapaInca

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 10:29:53 pm »
Oh and for the entrance test, what are the main topics focused on in Science Reasoning?
Biology, Chemistry and Physics?

Appo

• Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 06:33:39 pm »
Oh and for the entrance test, what are the main topics focused on in Science Reasoning?
Biology, Chemistry and Physics?
Can vary from year to year but generally a wide variety of sciences. Sometimes they aren't even science related (first question was based on ratios of the mass of elephants).

But you should expect more than the mainstream sciences and find yourself answering questions around geology, environmental science and more.

Most of the questions will be general knowledge and reaspning as the majorit of concepts are taught at school in previous years.

TheSapaInca

• Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 09:20:58 pm »
Can vary from year to year but generally a wide variety of sciences. Sometimes they aren't even science related (first question was based on ratios of the mass of elephants).

But you should expect more than the mainstream sciences and find yourself answering questions around geology, environmental science and more.

Most of the questions will be general knowledge and reaspning as the majorit of concepts are taught at school in previous years.
Ok, I guess I have lots of time to study :D
But the science essays will be hard to study for. Just need to watch the science news now and then :)
Thanks!

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 10:34:51 pm »
Ok, I guess I have lots of time to study :D
But the science essays will be hard to study for. Just need to watch the science news now and then :)
Thanks!
Even if you don't know much about the essay prompts, there should still be enough information to help you write.
When faced with a problem, you either find a way or an excuse.

TheSapaInca

• Trendsetter
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 10:59:47 pm »
Even if you don't know much about the essay prompts, there should still be enough information to help you write.
Wait so for the essay, they will give us a little it of information along with the topic? :O

Appo

• Forum Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2017, 11:10:19 pm »
Wait so for the essay, they will give us a little it of information along with the topic? :O
Yes. They will provide some sort of page withas with information referring to the topic.

For the procedural essay,  they will probably provide materials and method.

TheSapaInca

• Trendsetter
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 11:12:21 pm »
Yes. They will provide some sort of page withas with information referring to the topic.

For the procedural essay,  they will probably provide materials and method.
Ok thanks :)