Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 18, 2024, 12:47:28 pm

Author Topic: UoM Chancellor's Scholar's program Vs Monash MBBS  (Read 26601 times)  Share 

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
Re: UoM Chancellor's Scholar's program Vs Monash MBBS
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2011, 08:54:23 pm »
I can say with close to 100% certainty that they do not mean finishing your degree faster. What it means is something like giving chancellor's scholars mentors from the postgrad degrees so they can enhance their understanding of their future and what they'll be doing etc. (this is a real thing btw)

edit: oh and I would like to add that I was still very relaxed in my 2 years :D

Tell me if I'm wrong here, but I get the feeling that pure maths would be easier to chronically overload because it's low hour requirements and very conceptually based assessment (eg once you've seen one differential equation you've seen them all etc.). I can't imagine overloading MCB/HSF + 2 extra subjects, or doing my entire major + 2 extra in one semester etc.

dc302

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +53
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2009
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2011, 09:13:51 pm »
^ It depends on what you're good at. That is certainly the case for me, I am much more comfortable learning maths. But there are definitely many people who are doing biological sciences who can hardly get through first year maths, let alone a maths major. So whilst given that they do understand it, it may be easy to learn the rest, but understanding it in the first place may pose a real challenge. I have a friend who goes to lectures and plays on his DS and somehow manages to get H1 with no study during the semester and a bit of revision before exams. I could certainly not do that.
2012-2015 - Doctor of Medicine (MD) @ UniMelb
2010-2011 - Bachelor of Science (BSc) majoring in Pure Mathematics @ UniMelb
2009 - VCE [99.70] -- Eng [43] - Methods [44] - Chem [44] - JapSL [45] - Spesh [45] - MUEP Jap [5.5]

tram

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2011, 10:02:48 pm »
+1
Hmmm.. In the chancellor's scholars program details on UoM website, they say it will allow you to have academic enhancement oppurtunities and guarenteed internships. My brother phoned and they said that they aren't completely sure what this could mean yet. Bit dubious, but it could mean that there are ways to finish your degree faster. (This is all pretty much random, and slightly optimistic, speculation, but anyways) Any thoughts?

As this is the first year they're offering the whole chancellors program, i would keep asking them for stuff, they have a vague idea of what they're doing but it's up to you to push their boundaries and seeing as they're leaning as it goes you'll have the best chance of any to get as much stuff as possible done for you as the guinea pigs , as opposed to late years when the mould is more set, that was the case for the copland scholars this year as we are the first lot of coplanders

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2011, 11:23:27 pm »
I have a friend who goes to lectures and plays on his DS

LOL! why would he go to lectures if he can just play his DS at home?

Tell me if I'm wrong here, but I get the feeling that pure maths would be easier to chronically overload because it's low hour requirements and very conceptually based assessment (eg once you've seen one differential equation you've seen them all etc.). I can't imagine overloading MCB/HSF + 2 extra subjects, or doing my entire major + 2 extra in one semester etc.

i would agree with this, just looking at the course handbook, there's no practical/labs which technically should make timetabling and finding time to study a little bit easier. (correct me if i'm wrong) i also think that there's less theory work which you have to learn as compared to biology/chemistry-ish subjects

dc302

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2011, 11:53:18 pm »
Well yeah, of course there's less theory. Maths is about concepts, biology is about memorisation. My point was that just cause there's less theory doesn't make it a more 'relaxing' course. If you can't get the theory then you're gonna be trying to study an hour or 2 a day and hardly understand it at all. The other point being if said friend tried to overload bio subjects he'd probs still be relaxed since he has some genius memory.

And he goes to lectures because he can actually hear and remember the stuff being taught despite playing on his DS...unfair I know :P
2009 - VCE [99.70] -- Eng [43] - Methods [44] - Chem [44] - JapSL [45] - Spesh [45] - MUEP Jap [5.5]

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2011, 11:54:25 pm »
biology is about memorisation

Principles mate, principles, not memory :P
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

dc302

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2011, 11:56:06 pm »
I'd like to disagree. You don't know what uni 'bio' is like. I mean some subjects are pretty easy like physiology, where it is mainly 'principles', but if you do 1st year bio or anatomy, it is like 100% memory. No principles.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2011, 09:19:34 am »
Literally any third year biology major is just rote learning memory work, but oh well :(

And I play my DS/iPod in lectures all the time, it keeps you from falling asleep completely!

mr.politiks

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +39
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2011, 03:40:35 pm »
I can say with close to 100% certainty that they do not mean finishing your degree faster. What it means is something like giving chancellor's scholars mentors from the postgrad degrees so they can enhance their understanding of their future and what they'll be doing etc. (this is a real thing btw)

Can you please elaborate on what sorts of things these mentors would do? Any help would be appreciated.  :)

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #84 on: December 24, 2011, 04:14:01 pm »
The program hasn't been finalized yet (hence why there's no info), but it's essentially up to the mentors and their students to decide what to talk about/do/etc.

mr.politiks

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #85 on: December 24, 2011, 04:49:31 pm »
Thx. A bit weird that full details about a scholarships arnet even finalised and students are coming in. Oh well , guniea pigs can sometimes get unforseen advantages... :)

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #86 on: December 24, 2011, 05:17:27 pm »
Eh? The scholarship details are finalized, you'll get fees waived and the money each year?

samad

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #87 on: December 24, 2011, 06:32:24 pm »
Finances are finalized  :)
The uni doesn't elaborate on "academic enhancement opportunties" and "guaranteed internship"- phoned a student adviser and he was unsure about the details

tugga

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2012, 12:36:35 am »
    Fair enough! :D Good luck there hehe.
    A fair number of ppl went Melbourne out of the Chancellors dudes.

I went Monash despite mchli's outlined reasons because I think that whilst Melbourne has better opportunity for higher study overseas, Monash is not far behind. As for postgrad research, I plan to do that with Melb uni once I finished my med degree - assuming I get into Monash! I also like how at Monash you have the option of the BMedSci at Year 3, so you can learn the biomedical sciences at Years 1 and 2, then do intense research on say pharmacology for Year 3 (and really learn pharmacology in depth). What really swung me most was the non-competitve learning environment and the scholarship - I doubt I could get a scholarship for the MD, it'd be just too competitive. Plus, personally I'd want to work with patients straight away in a clinical setting :D.

hey thushan, how do you do postgrad research with melbourne afterwards?

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
    « Reply #89 on: January 20, 2012, 08:44:40 am »
    Apply to do a PhD with Melbourne or one of the parkville research institutions that are affiliated with them