Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 01:06:53 am

Author Topic: Getting 85 atar  (Read 15136 times)  Share 

Snowflek

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Concord High School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Getting 85 atar
« on: May 10, 2016, 11:22:34 pm »
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 11:47:19 pm by Snowflek »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Getting 85 atar
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 11:56:02 pm »
+1
Hi guys I want to get into a vet course in Usyd which requires 85 atar, im still in prelim but very paranoid. How well do i need to do?
Standard english
General maths
Chemistry
Biology
society and culture
Modern history

Hey Snowflek! Welcome to the forums!!

To start, I don't think it is beneficial to set numerical goals on your scores this early. You have no idea what can happen in two years. Plus, don't be paranoid, seriously!! You haven't even started Year 12 yet, don't stress! Just work as hard as you can, get your results, and then try to improve anything you need to improve. Year 11 is your practice run, just breathe and work on developing good habits!  ;D

That said, once you've hit Year 12, it is totally a good idea to get some rough numerical goals to keep you motivated (they, again, shouldn't be a source of paranoia!! The best way to do this is with an ATAR Calculator (we have an awesome ATAR calculator you can use).

Popping your subjects in, you can see that you'd be looking at marks in the low Band 5 range to get an ATAR of around 85. Give or take a mark or two (though this calculator guesses my ATAR very accurately, only off by 0.15).

So, if you are really wanting numerical goals, low 80's would be your target!!  ;D remember this isn't just specifically your results from school, as this article explains.

Seriously though, it is way too early to stress. Relax, work as hard as you can, and focus on developing good habits this year!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 12:34:15 pm »
+1
Thanks for the reply haha. I've just been soo paranoid about year 12 since the start of year 11. Especially im struggling in chemistry which makes me even more paranoid so yeah. But thanks for the reply and ill just do my best :D

That's the way, just work hard and great things will happen!  ;D

If you need help with Chemistry feel free to pay a visit to our Chemistry Q+A thread, Jake and the others are awesome and will be sure to give you lots of tips and guidance!!  ;D

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 12:48:45 pm »
That's the way, just work hard and great things will happen!  ;D

If you need help with Chemistry feel free to pay a visit to our Chemistry Q+A thread, Jake and the others are awesome and will be sure to give you lots of tips and guidance!!  ;D

Definitely pop over to any of our forums, if you need some extra support! We're here to help you out with whatever you need, from advising you about Atars to explaining what an ionic bond is. Looking forward to seeing you on the forums :)

Jake
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 11:09:46 pm »
Tbh - Just be glad that failing in Yr 11 means nothing, and that you have Yr 12 to cover up for it. Fortunately for a majority of subjects concepts taught in Yr 11 aren't even required for Yr 12 anyway.

Plus, with the idea of an ATAR, you should always keep what you're good at to maximise your ATAR. Anyone doing poor scaling subjects could easily get a 99.95 by just coming first in the state in all of them. (Not saying that's an easy feat so to speak, just that it's possible.)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 12:26:40 pm »
Tbh - Just be glad that failing in Yr 11 means nothing, and that you have Yr 12 to cover up for it. Fortunately for a majority of subjects concepts taught in Yr 11 aren't even required for Yr 12 anyway.

Plus, with the idea of an ATAR, you should always keep what you're good at to maximise your ATAR. Anyone doing poor scaling subjects could easily get a 99.95 by just coming first in the state in all of them. (Not saying that's an easy feat so to speak, just that it's possible.)

This, times a million. My subjects aren't exactly the highest scaling and I did well. My friend did mostly humanities (generally considered low scaling) and got 97+. It's all about the work you put in, scaling matters little, an MX2 student hating it and not doing too well as a result will never perform as well as someone smashing Society and Culture  ;D

Your subjects are considered 'high scaling' anyway. The sciences scale well particularly, and your humanities are considered 'up there' as well. Just in case that matters to you  ;D