Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 05:51:30 pm

Author Topic: Need help with choosing my yr11 subject asap!!  (Read 817 times)

kev03

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Need help with choosing my yr11 subject asap!!
« on: July 29, 2019, 06:53:55 pm »
Hi, I'm an yr10 student and I'm stressing out with choosing my vce subjects. I'm an immigrant student who came to Australia 2 yrs ago from South Korea and struggling to understand how this 'vce' thing works. I'm sorry if my English is horrible.
I'm planning to head uni and do IT major. (Software or Security)

My current list
English 1&2
Maths Methods 1&2
Further Maths 3&4
VCE Computing 1&2
Studio Art (Maybe) (I really love doing art and enjoy it but my parents aren't happy about it. 1. it affects my atar 2. they think it is bad as it is totally irrelevant to IT or maths or science)
??? (Empty subject)

Subjects I'm thinking of
Physics - science stuff that my parents would love me to do
Chemistry - another science stuff that my parents would love me to do
History (Ancient or 20th) - I have some interest in history. I did get good marks in humanities and I think I'll do okay.
Systems Engineering - this is a new thing that is starting next year at our school and I'm quiet not sure about this. But I really like making things.

1.What should I do for my 6th subject?

2. Is there any other subjects that will help me studying IT? I heard physics might get useful but I really don't like science stuff. I get decent marks though.

3. Will having studio art or any subjects that is irrelevant to my major affect me going to uni? My parents are really concerned about this.

4. Can I change my subject??? School has been scaring me by telling me it's my life choice. Can I skip unit 1&2 and still do unit 3&4 for that subject in yr 12?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 08:08:50 pm by kev03 »

sara.vce

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
Re: Need help with choosing my yr11 subject asap!!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 07:21:11 pm »
Hi there,
I don't know anything about computers so I can't really help with your first question but I definitely think that doing an arts subject would be great and won't affect how universities see you. As long as you're fulfilling any prerequisites I'm pretty sure universities don't mind which subjects you actually do. In fact, you might be eligible for certain scholarships if you complete an arts subject!
And yes, you can change a subject in year 12. Lots of people do it and it's not the end of the world.
Good luck with your choices!

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Need help with choosing my yr11 subject asap!!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 09:02:16 pm »
+1
Hi, I'm an yr10 student and I'm stressing out with choosing my vce subjects. I'm an immigrant student who came to Australia 2 yrs ago from South Korea and struggling to understand how this 'vce' thing works. I'm sorry if my English is horrible.
I'm planning to head uni and do IT major. (Software or Security)

My current list
English 1&2
Maths Methods 1&2
Further Maths 3&4
VCE Computing 1&2
Studio Art (Maybe) (I really love doing art and enjoy it but my parents aren't happy about it. 1. it affects my atar 2. they think it is bad as it is totally irrelevant to IT or maths or science)
??? (Empty subject)

Subjects I'm thinking of
Physics - science stuff that my parents would love me to do
Chemistry - another science stuff that my parents would love me to do
History (Ancient or 20th) - I have some interest in history. I did get good marks in humanities and I think I'll do okay.
Systems Engineering - this is a new thing that is starting next year at our school and I'm quiet not sure about this. But I really like making things.

1. Is there any other subjects that will help me studying IT? I heard physics might get useful but I really don't like science stuff. I get decent marks though.

2. Will having studio art or any subjects that is irrelevant to my major affect me going to uni? My parents are really concerned about this.

3. Can I change my subject??? School has been scaring me by telling me it's my life choice. Can I skip unit 1&2 and still do unit 3&4 for that subject in yr 12?

Would recommend that you do subjects you enjoy and any that must be done to cover prerequisites when choosing VCE subjects.

1. Systems Engineering (partially), Computing: Software Development, Computing: Informatics and Algorithmics are some relevant subjects if they’re offered in your school. Given that you’re already hoping to take Computing, Algorithmics and Systems Engineering might be good choices. Not sure about how relevant Physics is to computer science.

2. There’s no effect. As long as you do the prerequisites for the computer degree and fulfil the requirements for VCE (and your school), all other spaces are free for you to pick whatever you want. For your case, EAL (I assume) and possibly Methods (if you want Monash or Melbourne). If you’re dead set on studying computer science via the Bachelor of Science at Melbourne Uni, you’d also need to take one of Bio, Chem, Physics or Spesh on top of the English (or equivalent) and Methods prerequisites.

If it makes you feel better, many of us did random subjects that don’t even relate to what we wanted to study after VCE. (I did Psych, LOTEs and Economics in high school. I went on to do a science degree in biology.) For me, these sorts of subjects were often seen as a welcome break.

3. Yes absolutely. (I switched Economics for Further between Year 11 and 12.) Only time you won’t be able to switch is between Unit 3 and 4. Some subjects might be more difficult to begin in U3/4, so some schools might try to convince you not to take certain subjects if you haven’t done the appropriate U1/2 beforehand, but apart from these, it’s all really up to you. I think your school is trying to make sure that people take subject selection seriously rather than scare you.

Hope this helps! Please let us know how it goes and good luck with your choices.

P.S. Your English was fine. :)
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread