Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 01:21:39 am

Author Topic: Last Year of VCE: Will Elle take a big L?  (Read 22183 times)

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
Re: Last Year of VCE: Will Elle take a big L?
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2020, 11:04:16 pm »
+4
It’s only the second day online but I feel so usless. I feel like such a burden reaching out to teachers. I’m so scared to email them or ask questions over zoom. I know I’ve got to be brave and overcome this fear but I’m so scared and it’s such a real fear (even though it’s irrational). I have no idea what to do. I feel like the questions I’m asking are too dumb and I don’t know what to do. I know it’s in my head but when they email back I feel like they same angry or like I’m wasting their time and I feel really bad and it was hard enough asking for help in real life. That made me feel bad also :(
This is 100% a perfectly reasonable fear. When I first started out DECV, I didn't want to call my teachers at all thinking that i'd be annoying, or bother them. I got over this eventually in my later years at the school, but all it took was just a bit of confidence and thinking how, "if I don't ask this now, I am never going to get my answer."  Keep in mind that some words may seem harsh written out, but they generally don't mean what they imply. I have has some emails where the teacher and I get along in person, but sometimes the emails come across a different way. So try not to take the written language to literally. No question is too dumb to ask, I have sent sooo may of those questions, my word. So don't feel afraid to send them. I wish you luck, I know you can do it, you'll find the confidence. Just think that this is as odd for them as it is you, and they will more then happy to help you.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 11:06:59 pm by Geoo »
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2020, 09:49:14 am »
+1
It’s only the second day online but I feel so usless. I feel like such a burden reaching out to teachers. I’m so scared to email them or ask questions over zoom. I know I’ve got to be brave and overcome this fear but I’m so scared and it’s such a real fear (even though it’s irrational). I have no idea what to do. I feel like the questions I’m asking are too dumb and I don’t know what to do. I know it’s in my head but when they email back I feel like they same angry or like I’m wasting their time and I feel really bad and it was hard enough asking for help in real life. That made me feel bad also :(

giiiiirl same! I've always had the issue of asking for help even in irl, and it is definitely harder now. I'm the person that starts every email (or professional text) with "I'm so sorry to bother you". I think sometimes, it's a matter of letting your teacher/s know that you feel bad asking questions cause then they can be "oh no its fine im here to help you" and they might also tell you the best times to email them, I know one of my English teachers wont respond to emails before 8am or after 8pm and other teachers only respond during business hours, and others respond at all hours of the day. So i think communication is key, but also sometimes you just have to do it. I write an email and then im like oh no i don't wanna bother them but you just gotta send it. Also you might wanna check out RESN Tutoring, its free and you can send them any kind of question from subject specific to study tips or course selection.

Wishing you all the best ♡
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

JerryMouse2019

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I love Spider-Man :)
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2020, 11:13:53 am »
+4

Some words of advice:

You're not going to be in trouble for asking questions. Don't let what your teachers say to you define you as a person. I've realised after not asking questions many times that I've been afraid of being judged for how far I've come in my work. My teachers have told me that if you don't like asking dumb questions when you're in class then ask them after everyone else has left the room. Now is a great time to ask questions because you're not facing your teachers directly. Emailing isn't as scary as it seems. The truth is that you're not afraid of asking questions, you're afraid of being judged by your teachers because you don't like being criticised.

Good luck with your VCE :)
QCE Class of 2021: English | General Maths | Business | Economics | Legal Studies | Digital Solutions

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy” – Dale Carnegie

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2020, 06:36:57 pm »
+6
Term 2 Week 3
I have 3 SACs this week and I’ve never felt so useless.

English
My English teacher has been so reluctant to help with our English sac preparation so I’ve been doing it alone. She made us submit a draft before the sac next Wednesday and she said “you haven’t taken a look at what I commented last time” but I can I just say she never reads our work? Everytime we submit paragraphs we don’t get any feedback. And if we ask she has to go back and actually look at it. I understand that this is a difficult time and I have absolutely no idea what could be happening in her home/ life, BUT it still really hurt my feelings. Did I mention she forgot to attach the draft she returned so now I can’t write another essay? (I don’t see much point doing more without feedback so I can produce one of better quality). I think I’ll just breakdown some essay prompts. I’m doing rear window if anyone feels like critiquing an essay haha.

Biology
The sac is on Monday and only half an hour and on photosynthesis/enzymes/cellular respiration. Not too concerned as this sac was supposed to be a month back and I also revised over the holidays (even though I totally thought they’d scrap this sac!!!!). I’m a sad that I’m probably gonna do worse than last time but I’ll be happy with 80%+ I guess.

Chemistry
Electrolysis SAC yay! I really have no motivation left. I’m doing the work but I don’t believe in myself. How could I have gotten worse on the second sac (72%) than on the first (74%). I’ve pretty much kisses getting a 45 study score goodbye and getting a 40 also looks like pure delusion at this point. But I’m still pretty passionate about the topics we are learning. This sounds really nerdy but collision theory actually INTERESTS me. I’m sure others find it dry. I’m also quite worried that if I do, do well on this sac they’ll think I cheated :(

Methods
The first SAC is in a month and I’m freaking out. I don’t know anything, don’t have a bound reference. I try so hard to retain everything. Perhaps if I wake up early everyday and do revision I’ll get better. I’ll be lucky to get even a 30. (Yes I’ve kissed a 35 goodbye before the first sac).

Psychology:
SAC is in week 4 but I’ll get to it next weekend. It’s on observational learning and operant conditioning. I’ve been doing prac exam questions and making my notes BUT i think I’m putting psych revision on hold (except for during class) till Friday after the Chem sac.

UCAT:
Did another prac exam last weekend. I’m heaps better but still appalling. But I’m extremely proud....? I know weird right. I just feel like I’ve come so far! (You have no idea what I was getting before ha).

My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2020, 07:10:13 pm »
+1
English
My English teacher has been so reluctant to help with our English sac preparation so I’ve been doing it alone. She made us submit a draft before the sac next Wednesday and she said “you haven’t taken a look at what I commented last time” but I can I just say she never reads our work? Everytime we submit paragraphs we don’t get any feedback. And if we ask she has to go back and actually look at it. I understand that this is a difficult time and I have absolutely no idea what could be happening in her home/ life, BUT it still really hurt my feelings. Did I mention she forgot to attach the draft she returned so now I can’t write another essay? (I don’t see much point doing more without feedback so I can produce one of better quality). I think I’ll just breakdown some essay prompts. I’m doing rear window if anyone feels like critiquing an essay haha.

OMG I RELATE! My English teacher is the same and is really bad at giving feedback on work she sets let alone practice essays. Maybe you and a friend could try marking each others? I've heard marking essays makes your writing better.

Biology
The sac is on Monday and only half an hour and on photosynthesis/enzymes/cellular respiration. Not too concerned as this sac was supposed to be a month back and I also revised over the holidays (even though I totally thought they’d scrap this sac!!!!). I’m a sad that I’m probably gonna do worse than last time but I’ll be happy with 80%+ I guess.
I had the same attitude last year, let me know if you want any help, have any questions or want resources :)

UCAT:
Did another prac exam last weekend. I’m heaps better but still appalling. But I’m extremely proud....? I know weird right. I just feel like I’ve come so far! (You have no idea what I was getting before ha).
OMG YAY!!!!! That's so good you are improving, its not weird to be proud about that you 110% should be!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 06:12:55 pm by J_Rho »
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2020, 05:55:26 pm »
+1
Oh wow you are doing the exact same subjects as me this year and I'm also doing UCAT this year as well. Congrats with how much you're doing for UCAT. I haven't done any prac exams yet just prac questions.
2019 - Geography [41]
2020 - English, Methods, Chem, Bio and Psych [39]
2021 - 2023 Bachelor of Science at Monash

ThunderDragon's Journey to Med

Currently offering tutoring in 3/4 Psychology for 2022. PM if interested!

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2020, 06:46:21 pm »
Oh wow you are doing the exact same subjects as me this year and I'm also doing UCAT this year as well. Congrats with how much you're doing for UCAT. I haven't done any prac exams yet just prac questions.

Quality > Quantity
I’m sure your doing way better than me! I haven’t been one of those people doing an hour a day everyday during VCE. I did that on the long holidays but now I’ve taken a bit of a break cause there’s absolutley no time.
My avatar sums up life.
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2020, 05:10:03 pm »
+2
I just cooked the first online bio sac. I’ve never felt this scared (since the first Chem sac). Im probably looking at 75% :(
My avatar sums up life.

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2020, 06:22:43 pm »
+1
I just cooked the first online bio sac. I’ve never felt this scared (since the first Chem sac). Im probably looking at 75% :(

100% know that feeling. Hopefully it will be okay, and there is always next time. You tried your best and it's done and dusted. Try not to think about it for too long, and enjoy the feeling of not having to worry about it (at least until you get your marks back). And hey, even if you don't get what you want, it's okay, it happens. You can feel annoyed, disappointed or frustrated, but channel that into getting better and better.
I believe in you!
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2020, 06:34:21 pm »
+2

I felt exactly the same after my french sac Friday, so you are not alone. Try to forget about it now rather than stress too much (that's is very hypocritical of me, but worrying about marks will only damage your work ethic. Reward yourself because you just did a year 12 SAC, forget about it and focus on the next one).

Keep it up, and believe in yourself, because we believe in you. You are good enough and confident enough to get through this year  ;D
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2020, 10:20:45 pm »
+2
. Reward yourself because you just did a year 12 SAC, forget about it and focus on the next one).

Keep it up, and believe in yourself, because we believe in you. You are good enough and confident enough to get through this year  ;D

I guess your right my next one is in less than 48 hours! I’ve got to move on and focus on the next 3 SACs this week. Thanks chocolate milkshake I’m sure you did better than your expected on your French sac!
My avatar sums up life.

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2020, 10:15:12 am »
+3
CHANGES TO THE STUDY DESIGNS ARE FREAKING ME OUt. Unit 3 is now equal to unit 4 or in the case of methods worth more!!!!!!
This is only bad for chem as I was planning to raise my average in unit 3 and do my very best in unit 4 and since it was worth more it’d save me! Chem hasn’t been release but for bio
Unit 3: 16% ——> 20%
Unit 4 : 24% ——-> 20%

I don’t mind for bio as I’ve been doing decent but oh my gosh I can kiss a good Chem study score goodbye 😞
My avatar sums up life.

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2020, 07:46:43 pm »
+7
Term 2 Week 5

4 SACs. 7 Days. DONE!!!!!!

Idk if I uodate this too much or if anyone even cares but I’m just gonna go ahead anyway.

English SAC
I don’t care what mark I get but if I got 90% that’d be good but anything over 85% is okay (our school marks so harsh!) anyway they cross mark and there’s two hundred kids in mainstream English so don’t expect it back soon. Also I’m glad I didn’t cheat by googling words or quotes so when I got my mark I can feel good an know it’s the mark I got. I’d never cheat EVER abut we had four hours and that’s a lot of time. I’m really happy I just tried my best unaided.

Chemistry SAC
I’m annoyed at the sudden heavy weighting of the poor sacs I did last term (haha I love how vcaa assumes we were all doing SPLENDID before school ended so they should make the SACs worth more. Anyway this electrolysis sac went great! But I’m super behind in reaction rate and equillibrium (should probably being doing that now instead of journaling) whoops.

Psych sac
Idk how to feel I think I went well and where I’ll lose marks is if I didn’t identify the antecedant or behaviour properly. In a worse case scenario I’d like to lose 4 marks as this is part b of a sac so I’ll still get 90% overall. Tommrow our psych teachers letting us have the first session off to catch up on edrolo memory, specifically Atkinson’s Sh..... model (sorry I don’t wanna misspell!)

Bio SAC
It was my first online sac cooked it but have another one next Wednesday on signalling; but who knows how I scored? I had a bad dream I got 74% eerily specific, I know.

Methods
- First SAC now worth 22%
- is in 18 days
- Cannot even do Textbook questions
- *tears*
- I’m not sure if this is good or bad but the SACs been shortened from 4 sessions to 90 minutes?

Life 💫
- Have been running a lot more
- Super motivated
- Possibly happier than I’ve ever been
- I kinda love quarantine (aside from doing SACs at home)
- Dreading return to “normal life” I wouldn’t mind being home for the rest of term 2.....or forever.
- BUT I hate how for me to feel happy a lot of other people have to feel sad and demotivated :(

My avatar sums up life.

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2020, 05:13:53 pm »
+2
Mini-mini update

I just did a decision making subtlest mock and it wasn’t so bad. At first I was like no I hate the Venn diagram stuff but I did it! But how exactly do Venn diagrams work when deciding whether to take away the “common” area? Do you take that away from the big grand total?
My avatar sums up life.

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2020, 06:24:05 pm »
+4
Mini- update:

SACs returned:
I got my scores for psych and bio back! For psych I’m pretty happy. For bio I thought I failed (as you can see me freaking out in a prior post) but turns out I got 81% and the average was 60%. I was one mark away from 85%!!! So sad. But anyway I dropped by 10% and so did the average (it was 70% last time) meaning my ranking must roughly be the same right???

UCAT
I did a UCAT mock exam today and then I felt REALLY tired.

I have them proceeded to do nothing expect 90 minutes of bio as there’s a sac next week :( I wanna do some methods but I feel exhausted. I know I should probably rest but I do absolutley nothing compared to everyone on here so I have no reason to be tired! The methods sac is in 13 days and I’m stressed having only done the chapter 1 review (it’s on ch1,2,3,4,9,10) I fell like as long as I consolidate chapter one before the weekend is over I’ll be fine.

Life💫
I think I’m less productive as I’m not really talking to my friend. I’m just alone so it’s basically wake up maybe exercise school? Idk I hope this passes soon because I’m up to date but if I continue slacking off like this their could be trouble.

Hope you guys are staying warm in the rainy weather! (If you live in Melbourne anyway)
My avatar sums up life.