Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 01:13:34 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1240683 times)

chloeannbarwick

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #1785 on: May 04, 2017, 01:22:14 pm »
Does anybody have any notes, or links to notes about John Donne and his poetry?
Get it done now, and you'll have less to do later

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1786 on: May 04, 2017, 01:48:12 pm »
Does anybody have any notes, or links to notes about John Donne and his poetry?

Looks like there are a few in our Notes section!! ;D

chloeannbarwick

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1787 on: May 04, 2017, 06:35:45 pm »
Looks like there are a few in our Notes section!! ;D

Thank you!

lizkross

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1788 on: May 06, 2017, 05:29:03 pm »
Hey, I was reading the section on your website about writing in whichever form you feel comfortable with for creative writing. Is it better to choose a different style if you can to have variation and catch the markers attention? Or is it risky to write in a style that isn't used as much. Do certain styles typically receive better marks overall?

chloeannbarwick

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1789 on: May 06, 2017, 05:50:09 pm »
Just wondering if anyone has any tips for an audio assessment task where the questions and stimulus are completely unseen? Our teacher is saying that there is no way to prepare and it will just come down to intelligence and common sense but I'm not sure if I can accept that. Does anyone have any ideas for how i could prepare?  ;D

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1790 on: May 06, 2017, 11:29:34 pm »
Just wondering if anyone has any tips for an audio assessment task where the questions and stimulus are completely unseen? Our teacher is saying that there is no way to prepare and it will just come down to intelligence and common sense but I'm not sure if I can accept that. Does anyone have any ideas for how i could prepare?  ;D

What are the question and stimulus about? We just had a panel discussion on our two mod A texts, and I have advice but if it's just Unseens and questions about the course in generaI I feel that advice would be very very useless.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1791 on: May 07, 2017, 12:18:26 am »

Hey, I was reading the section on your website about writing in whichever form you feel comfortable with for creative writing. Is it better to choose a different style if you can to have variation and catch the markers attention? Or is it risky to write in a style that isn't used as much. Do certain styles typically receive better marks overall?

Hey! Really, the style of text itself won't make a difference, it is purely how well you can write that text. You won't gain any points by picking something a little different! It's only risky in the sense that usually, people find narratives to be the easiest text type to produce

Basically, you should pick whatever text type you are most comfortable writing! If you can write a feature article better than a narrative, do that!

As an aside, I'd wager that average marks for feature articles and other non-narrative text types WOULD be higher than narratives. However, if this is true, it would only be because the students who feel confident enough to try something besides a narrative are going to do better on average anyway. It's an effect, not a cause, for better results - If that makes sense, aha

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1792 on: May 07, 2017, 12:19:28 am »

Practice makes perfect Chloe! That's really all you can do, you could ask your teacher for practice material that matches the task?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #1793 on: May 07, 2017, 01:02:52 am »

What module is this for? Also, try and find out exactly what to expect on the day. Will there be two listenings, one for writing and one for listening? Or just the one listening? Will there just be one essay question to answer or will there be a series of shorter answer questions? I think finding these things out is important so that you can plan exactly what you hope to do when you get in there, so at least you take a small element of surprise out :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

sailorgirl

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1794 on: May 07, 2017, 11:54:08 am »
I need some help with finding related texts.I originally was using the Ocean at the End of the Lane for discovery (Tempest) but I found it wasn't really suitable. I am now thinking of using the film Brooklyn and Distant Lands by Tim Winton and was wondering what you thought about these texts? Also would appreciate some ideas for Module C Representing People and Landscapes to go with The Art of Travel? Thanks

natasha.rh

• Adventurer
« Reply #1795 on: May 07, 2017, 01:34:08 pm »
Hi,
Does anyone have any notes or past essays on Ondaatje's "In The Skin of a Lion?" I can't seem to find any.
Thanks!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1796 on: May 07, 2017, 05:22:01 pm »
I need some help with finding related texts.I originally was using the Ocean at the End of the Lane for discovery (Tempest) but I found it wasn't really suitable. I am now thinking of using the film Brooklyn and Distant Lands by Tim Winton and was wondering what you thought about these texts? Also would appreciate some ideas for Module C Representing People and Landscapes to go with The Art of Travel? Thanks

Hey, welcome to the forums!! ;D

So Brooklyn is a Module C text for Advanced, so would definitely have the depth you need! There is actually an essay comparing Brooklyn and Distant Lands that you can download here! Both are great choices ;D

For Art of Travel, I've seen people do quite a few things successfully. One worth considering would be the poetry of Peter Skrzynecki - His poetry used to be a Prescribed Text for the AoS, it is very rich and delves into people and landscapes in a very interesting way. The collection is called Immigrant Chronicle, since it is an old HSC text there are resources for it in lots of places, and a copy of the collection is almost definitely available in your library ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1797 on: May 07, 2017, 05:25:59 pm »
Hi,
Does anyone have any notes or past essays on Ondaatje's "In The Skin of a Lion?" I can't seem to find any.
Thanks!

Hey Natasha! Unfortunately I don't know of any, and we don't have any in our Notes section :( hopefully someone can be a champion and upload any resources they may have! :)

chloeannbarwick

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1798 on: May 08, 2017, 10:26:28 am »
Practice makes perfect Chloe! That's really all you can do, you could ask your teacher for practice material that matches the task?

Great idea, thank you!

Snew

• Forum Regular
  • Class of 2017
« Reply #1799 on: May 08, 2017, 04:37:18 pm »
Hi! Is it ok for me to post an intro for Module C here? :)
HSC 2017:

Studies of Religion I
Advanced English
General Mathematics
Biology
Modern History
Music I

ATAR Goal: 85+
Course Wanted: Bachelor of Nursing at UTS