Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 01:31:29 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1240688 times)

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #1740 on: April 22, 2017, 07:02:19 pm »
Can someone please explain to me what romanticism is. I'm struggling a lot on it and would appreciate a detailed, somewhat simplistic because Im really confused, explanation thankyouuuuuu

Hey, i'm sorry I can't directly help you out with a summary/explanation but I thought it might be helpful to tell you that one of the extension english electives is in fact romanticism, so maybe if you post this question up on that forum you'll have more chances of getting the response you're looking for :)

phebsh

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #1741 on: April 22, 2017, 07:19:15 pm »
Hey there :)
I'm mid writing a speech for my module A oral task and I'm struggling with coming up with a hook to start my speech with. I was thinking to start by defining a term used in the 1920s because that was the era of one of my texts. Is my idea terrible? :P Open to suggestions, thanks!! ;D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 07:26:29 pm by phebsh »
2017 HSC
Advanced English ~ Advanced Mathematics ~ Biology ~ Business Studies ~ Legal Studies

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1742 on: April 22, 2017, 11:09:16 pm »
Can someone please explain to me what romanticism is. I'm struggling a lot on it and would appreciate a detailed, somewhat simplistic because Im really confused, explanation thankyouuuuuu
Hey, i'm sorry I can't directly help you out with a summary/explanation but I thought it might be helpful to tell you that one of the extension english electives is in fact romanticism, so maybe if you post this question up on that forum you'll have more chances of getting the response you're looking for :)

That thread is here for your reference! ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1743 on: April 22, 2017, 11:12:48 pm »
Hey there :)
I'm mid writing a speech for my module A oral task and I'm struggling with coming up with a hook to start my speech with. I was thinking to start by defining a term used in the 1920s because that was the era of one of my texts. Is my idea terrible? :P Open to suggestions, thanks!! ;D

I think that idea is definitely interesting!! You should show us the beginning and we can let you know what we think ;D

What I've seen people do that works well is use a quote from one of their texts, like the key quote, one that sums up everything about the text and the themes therein (if one of those exists) - For example, for a film like V for Vendetta, a film that presents conflicting perspectives on political ideologies and the power of rebellion, the quote, "Ideas are bulletproof" from that film could do that justice. If there is a super powerful quote from one of your texts that works in this scenario, it could be worth considering? :)

ninaangeline

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1744 on: April 23, 2017, 06:48:33 pm »
Hi!
I have roughly three weeks before I have a listening task assessment for either Module C: Brave New World or Module B: W.B Yeats... Typically listening tasks at my school are a series of 4-5 questions, each question weighing differently e.g. 2, 3, 5 and 10. I was just wondering what studying techniques I should be doing to best prep myself for this assessment task?

Thankyou! :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1745 on: April 23, 2017, 09:25:14 pm »
+1

Hi!
I have roughly three weeks before I have a listening task assessment for either Module C: Brave New World or Module B: W.B Yeats... Typically listening tasks at my school are a series of 4-5 questions, each question weighing differently e.g. 2, 3, 5 and 10. I was just wondering what studying techniques I should be doing to best prep myself for this assessment task?

Thankyou! :)

Hey Ninaangeline! Welcome to the forums!

Listening tasks are so difficult to study for. You should make sure you've got the basics down - Have quotes memorised for those texts, along with techniques and other info about those quotes. Having a solid bank is crucial - You might wish to make palm cards, or tables, I made big tables that I stuck around my room as posters back when I had my listening task!

Beyond that, do your best to practice. Ask your teacher for last years exam and recording for your own study/revision, usually they happily oblige. If not, make up questions and respond to them, getting feedback along the way.

Basically, all you can do is make sure the knowledge is in your head, then practice applying that knowledge in an exam scenario.

Other might recommend more ideas, but these would be the start! Good luck

mcheema

• Adventurer
« Reply #1746 on: April 23, 2017, 09:42:26 pm »

Do you have any tips for studying for short answer. I find that I struggle at short answer the most in exams

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1747 on: April 23, 2017, 09:45:22 pm »
Do you have any tips for studying for short answer. I find that I struggle at short answer the most in exams

The best tip - Practice! And lots of it. You can find a heap of practice questions here. Make sure to get feedback on your responses from friends/teachers/anyone knowledgeable to see if you are on the right track! The more you do, the better you'll get :)

Also don't write too much for the shorter questions! A couple of sentence for 1-2 marks, a paragraph for 3-4, an extended response for 5+ ;D

mcheema

• Adventurer
« Reply #1748 on: April 23, 2017, 09:53:15 pm »
The best tip - Practice! And lots of it. You can find a heap of practice questions here. Make sure to get feedback on your responses from friends/teachers/anyone knowledgeable to see if you are on the right track! The more you do, the better you'll get :)

Also don't write too much for the shorter questions! A couple of sentence for 1-2 marks, a paragraph for 3-4, an extended response for 5+ ;D

Thank you :).

Maraos

• Trendsetter
  • Atar Notes = Productive procrastination.... right?
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #1749 on: April 23, 2017, 10:17:57 pm »
Hi!
I've got my English half yearly coming up, and it will be a 40 minute exam involving the area of study discovery Creative writing section only.

My creative writing piece is 874 words and it takes me around 30 minutes to write the entire thing out. I feel like my creative could be a little too short, and since it's only taking me 30 minutes to write it out maybe it should be longer? My handwriting is not very good at all (in-fact i lost alot of marks from my last task because of it), and I am hoping to use that extra 10 minutes to ensure that my writing is legible.

Would I be better off using that extra 10 minutes to check handwriting, and also using it to think of how I could integrate the stimulus into my creative or should I try to add more to it to make it longer?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated  ;D 
2016 HSC:
Mathematics
(1 down 6 to go... :D)

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1750 on: April 23, 2017, 10:28:11 pm »
+1
Hi!
I've got my English half yearly coming up, and it will be a 40 minute exam involving the area of study discovery Creative writing section only.

My creative writing piece is 874 words and it takes me around 30 minutes to write the entire thing out. I feel like my creative could be a little too short, and since it's only taking me 30 minutes to write it out maybe it should be longer? My handwriting is not very good at all (in-fact i lost alot of marks from my last task because of it), and I am hoping to use that extra 10 minutes to ensure that my writing is legible.

Would I be better off using that extra 10 minutes to check handwriting, and also using it to think of how I could integrate the stimulus into my creative or should I try to add more to it to make it longer?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated  ;D 

I think 874 words is a great length for a Creative! That's about what mine was most of the time - The Creative can be shorter than the essay comfortably, as long as it is strong! :)

I think you are way better off using that time for your handwriting - Plus, long term, you'll probably want to get used to doing your Creative in half an hour anyway! From experience, most people tackle the final exam in that fashion anyway ;D

Maraos

• Trendsetter
  • Atar Notes = Productive procrastination.... right?
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #1751 on: April 23, 2017, 11:29:30 pm »
I think 874 words is a great length for a Creative! That's about what mine was most of the time - The Creative can be shorter than the essay comfortably, as long as it is strong! :)

I think you are way better off using that time for your handwriting - Plus, long term, you'll probably want to get used to doing your Creative in half an hour anyway! From experience, most people tackle the final exam in that fashion anyway ;D
Thanks for the tips! :)
And yeah i agree, gotta start improving my handwriting
2016 HSC:
Mathematics
(1 down 6 to go... :D)

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1752 on: April 23, 2017, 11:59:39 pm »
+1
Thanks for the tips! :)
And yeah i agree, gotta start improving my handwriting

Give this a read if you haven't already ;D

ninaangeline

• Adventurer
« Reply #1753 on: April 24, 2017, 08:42:27 am »
Hey Ninaangeline! Welcome to the forums!

Listening tasks are so difficult to study for. You should make sure you've got the basics down - Have quotes memorised for those texts, along with techniques and other info about those quotes. Having a solid bank is crucial - You might wish to make palm cards, or tables, I made big tables that I stuck around my room as posters back when I had my listening task!

Beyond that, do your best to practice. Ask your teacher for last years exam and recording for your own study/revision, usually they happily oblige. If not, make up questions and respond to them, getting feedback along the way.

Basically, all you can do is make sure the knowledge is in your head, then practice applying that knowledge in an exam scenario.

Other might recommend more ideas, but these would be the start! Good luck
Thank you heaps jamonwindeyer! absolute legend! :) 

chloeannbarwick

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1754 on: April 24, 2017, 01:40:08 pm »
Does anyone have any tips for keeping up to date on class notes? Is it more efficient to type or write? My teacher goes so fast!  ;D
Get it done now, and you'll have less to do later