Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 08:04:53 pm

Author Topic: Effectively using Reading Time in Maths Exams?  (Read 5392 times)

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
Effectively using Reading Time in Maths Exams?
« on: July 04, 2019, 10:59:46 pm »
Hey,

Does anyone have any advice as to how you should effectively spend Reading Time in Maths Exams?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 11:04:35 pm by Snow Leopard »

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Effectively using Reading Time in Maths Exams?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 12:08:53 am »
+5
In my opinion reading time is much more important than what students usually give it credit for.

I had a few things I would use my reading time during a maths exam/test
1. Properly read through the questions (very common for students to skim read and not extract any useful information or any depth to the question).
2. Begin answering questions in your head (if possible, or at least know what steps you would follow)
3. Analyse what you would be doing during your "solutions" during the reading time - especially asking yourself "have I made a mistake before in a similar question?" "What mistake was that?" Take note of those mistakes you have made before and make sure you don't make that mistake again this time.

Also would like to add that when you are doing practice exams it is very useful to actually do the reading time (like you would do during an exam), I know it is quite boring and easy to skip over so if practice exams it at least do reading time for your practice VCAA exams.

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 12:24:28 am »
In my opinion reading time is much more important than what students usually give it credit for.

I had a few things I would use my reading time during a maths exam/test
1. Properly read through the questions (very common for students to skim read and not extract any useful information or any depth to the question).
2. Begin answering questions in your head (if possible, or at least know what steps you would follow)
3. Analyse what you would be doing during your "solutions" during the reading time - especially asking yourself "have I made a mistake before in a similar question?" "What mistake was that?" Take note of those mistakes you have made before and make sure you don't make that mistake again this time.

Also would like to add that when you are doing practice exams it is very useful to actually do the reading time (like you would do during an exam), I know it is quite boring and easy to skip over so if practice exams it at least do reading time for your practice VCAA exams.

Since we're not allowed to use our calculator (TI-Nspire CAS or Scientific) during reading time do you think it's better to focus on short answer which you'll actually need to show working out for or multiple choice?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 11:52:15 pm »
+4
Since we're not allowed to use our calculator (TI-Nspire CAS or Scientific) during reading time do you think it's better to focus on short answer which you'll actually need to show working out for or multiple choice?
I wouldn't really say one is better than the other really depends on the student - I think with MCQ if you have done adequate practice beforehand a lot of the questions will be pretty similar in style so you should I would just have a look - no need for rigorous calculations in your head here but knowing but maybe justing taking a mental note of what steps you would do on the calculator)

Really it will be a personal preference in terms of what you want to focus on during reading time - I think you should have time to have a look at everything but if you think focussing on SAQ will benefit you the most go with that

kimokeeffe

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 06:52:14 pm »
+3
personally, i like to read the extended response questions first because sometimes i find that they take a little while to process in my head so i let myself think about what i'm going to do and how i will approach the question while i'm not stressed about the fact that i should be writing.
them if i finish going through the er and know how im gonna approach each question, i go back to the multiple-choice and start trying to work them out in my head.

hope this helps! but ultimately its just about what works for you, so i'd say try out a few different strategies and then find your favourite and stick to it:)

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 07:59:18 pm »
+4
Hey,

Does anyone have any advice as to how you should effectively spend Reading Time in Maths Exams?

I like to read the whole exam paper very thoroughly and note keywords in my head (what the question is asking etc.) I usually like to start answering MCQ in my head during reading time as it is much quicker to get through in my opinion. Make sure you read all questions twice very slowly, you won't realise how many easy mistakes you could have made if you skimmed through the exam paper really quickly.

In an exam setting, you are going to have a massive rush of adrenaline, so to me, it would be best to answer the easiest questions first and then move onto the harder ones so I have more time for later! Answering the easier questions is sort of like a massive confidence booster and helps settle your nerves a bit more easily. The last thing you want is a mid panic attack in the exam and you think you are going to fail just because you started on the most difficult question/topic. During reading time, if I see a question I have no clue how to answer, I'll always skip it and leave it to the end, by then, maybe I've 'warmed up' enough to figure out how to solve it! 8)

If you are someone who has a lot of confidence, maybe skipping straight to short answer/extended response would be a good idea. I personally would prefer to answer the quick/easy MCQ efficiently and then move onto the more difficult stuff.