Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 22, 2024, 05:28:06 am

Author Topic: My HSC Journal  (Read 11471 times)

Hannahco

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
Re: My HSC Journal
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 09:59:52 pm »
Hey Hannah! Welcome to the forums and welcome to the HSC journey journal board ;)

Congrats on getting vice captain, prefect, chapel leadership team and captain for your sports house! Out of the four leadership positions, which one do you like the most and why? Absolutely extraordinary honestly :O

Thankyou so much! I am very lucky and blessed to be put in the positions that I have. The one I like the most is probably vice captain because I'm still part of the prefect team which interacts with the younger years but I also do important things like have meetings with teachers and plan things which I find so interesting. It feels nice to actually have a valid opinion and a voice for my peers amongst the important school officials ahhaha

Hannahco

• Trailblazer
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 10:02:11 pm »
Heyo!! I'm the aforementioned Potatohater and hearing that you do geography and general maths makes me super excited!!! UNTIL I heard you might be dropping one  :( :( :(
The above advice is spot on, don't worry about ranks and scaling just yet, it's early days, so drop what you dislike the most. You're 100% garunteed to do subjects you enjoy cause you can put passion into your work.

Personally I LOVE geography and would highly reccomend keeping it! It is harder than general maths in my opinion but it's also highly interesting and more engaging. Plus there's heaps of fun ways to study for it, where as maths is mostly practice questions. I'll be moderating the Geo board so I can help you as much as I can and help you climb the ranking ladder. Plus, you havnt done your 1st assesment task yet so who's to say you won't smash it? I was stressing about not being 1st in geo after my 1st assesment and thought it was all over for me, but that totally changed through out the year and I ended up getting first so anything is possible!!

That's not to say that genral is bad, I also really enjoyed general. It's easy and mostly straight forward and the answers are a little more objective than geography. So ultimately it comes down to which one you find the most passion in. (Or you could keep both and drop something else  :P)

Ultimately, don't rush the descision, take your time and make sure there's no regrets. I also had lots of extra cirriculars and was doing 12 units up until June, because I didn't want to make the wrong descision, and even with only a term of free periods I greatly improved in everything. Not saying leave it until June too, just letting you know it's ok to take your time with these big descisions.

I wish you the best of luck and look forward to future updates  ;D

Hey Potato Hater!

Thankyou so much for your wisdom ahaha. It is actually very helpful. I think I might just hang onto both and see how I go and if I begin to drown further in my studies then I might drop to 10 units.

Hannahco

• Trailblazer
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 10:06:01 pm »
+1
Hey Hannah,

Welcome to AN!! Congrats on those amazing marks and all of your leadership opportunities! Sounds like a really busy year! What instrument do you play for music (or do you sing)? Are you doing performances, vivas or compositions?

Hey Katie!

I'm a singer and composer. I think for the HSC I'll do 4 performances because why not ahhaha. I get an opportunity to showcase my composition skills in my actual music class as we are recording an album!! It's going to be so amazing. My twin sister is a much better composer then I am and her songs are incredible! We also get to record our album at Studio 301 in Sydney which has recorded people like Kanye and INXS, Coldplay, Justin Bieber, Matt Corby. We've recorded there once before and it was truly amazing. If anyone is in Newcastle on the 10th of May you should come down to listen to our album release!!! I think it'll be on itunes and spotify as well!

Hannahco

• Trailblazer
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 10:08:34 pm »
For sure! I think basically everybody goes through this. How weird is it? It's all part of the journey, though, and it can be exciting to think about what's soon to come. :)

It's honestly so insane!!!!!!!! Except I'm really lacking the motivation to study and can feel myself falling behind and I'm really not sure how I can get back on top of my game!

Hannahco

• Trailblazer
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 03:54:19 pm »
+3
Hey everyone!

So, me ... I can feel myself falling so far behind in my studies it's crazy. I just feel so unproductive and so incredibly unmotivated to do anything and I'm so scared that this is going to cost me. I'm just so emotionally drained and it feels like I'm trapped in the world of HSC-ness. I think it might be because there is so much to do so I just don't do anything but yeah it just sucks because my work ethic last year was so good and maintainable but I just don't know what's going on with me this year.

On a more postive note, on Monday I am going to the Defence Force Recruiting "Leave no women behind" high tea. I'm so excited to hear different stories and experiences from within the defence force particularly from the point of a women.

Hope you're having a great day and that you have an amazing week!

Hannah  :)

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2018, 04:43:47 pm »
+1
Hey everyone!

So, me ... I can feel myself falling so far behind in my studies it's crazy. I just feel so unproductive and so incredibly unmotivated to do anything and I'm so scared that this is going to cost me. I'm just so emotionally drained and it feels like I'm trapped in the world of HSC-ness. I think it might be because there is so much to do so I just don't do anything but yeah it just sucks because my work ethic last year was so good and maintainable but I just don't know what's going on with me this year.

On a more postive note, on Monday I am going to the Defence Force Recruiting "Leave no women behind" high tea. I'm so excited to hear different stories and experiences from within the defence force particularly from the point of a women.

Hope you're having a great day and that you have an amazing week!

Hannah  :)

Hi Hannah...

Completely understand and feel your motivation problem - after all, the HSC is an endurance event, not a sprint! What I find helpful when school work piles up and I am feeling overwhelmed is to set a checklist of the tasks I need to do. Then I tend to assign these tasks to a study timetable (approx. 1 hour blocks), and tick things off as I complete them. If you give this a go, I think you will be surprised by how motivating it can be. Sometimes working out how/what you are going to study can be most of the problem!

Your high tea sounds pretty cool! Are you considering a career or gap year program in the defence force after the HSC? (I am currently applying for the ADF gap year program for next year  ;D).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 04:46:11 pm by kauac »
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

Hannahco

• Trailblazer
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 07:04:20 pm »
+2
Hey!

Wow I'll definately give that a try, thankyou so much! Man I honestly don't know how so many people have done the HSC and not died hahaha.

The high tea was so awesome! Very inspirational and insightful. That's so cool you're applying! What are you doing in particular in the defence force? I'm not sure what I want to do but it looks like an amazing option and opportunity so definately considering it :)

Hi Hannah...

Completely understand and feel your motivation problem - after all, the HSC is an endurance event, not a sprint! What I find helpful when school work piles up and I am feeling overwhelmed is to set a checklist of the tasks I need to do. Then I tend to assign these tasks to a study timetable (approx. 1 hour blocks), and tick things off as I complete them. If you give this a go, I think you will be surprised by how motivating it can be. Sometimes working out how/what you are going to study can be most of the problem!

Your high tea sounds pretty cool! Are you considering a career or gap year program in the defence force after the HSC? (I am currently applying for the ADF gap year program for next year  ;D).

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 07:14:11 pm »
What are you doing in particular in the defence force? I'm not sure what I want to do but it looks like an amazing option and opportunity so definately considering it :)

Hi...
At this stage, not any roles in particular - the gap year application just ask for your 'interests', so I am looking into some of the air force roles, such as crew attendant and air base security.

If it interests you, I really encourage you to apply! Even if you're not too sure about what you want to do next year (like I am), it is a good way for gauging some of your options.  :)
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

Hannahco

• Trailblazer
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2018, 05:15:50 pm »
+5
Hey everyone!

Two weeks to the mid year exams and I really need to kick my butt into gear. I feel like I've been doing very mimimal in regards to my study so tonight I'm going to sit down and make a study schedule and plan to stick to that as long as I can.

Also, just started to get back into netball again but I've currently have an impinged nerve near my ankle which is making it very difficult to do any sort of activity. It's quite a set back and is making me feel a bit discouraged but I know it's not going to last forever and I'll be fit again in no time. If anyone has any good tricks to loosen up my calf and quads that would be must appreciated.

Nothing new has really happened in my life since the last update so if you have any questions or anything that I could talk about hit me up! hahaha

Well thanks for reading and catch ya later :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2018, 08:42:44 pm »
I hope your ankle gets better soon! I've heard that netball is brutal for injuries in the legs! ;D

Where do you think your priorities lie for these exams? Any goals or challenges you think are the top of your list? :)

How are your performances coming along? ;D

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2018, 04:21:44 pm »
Hey everyone!

Two weeks to the mid year exams and I really need to kick my butt into gear. I feel like I've been doing very mimimal in regards to my study so tonight I'm going to sit down and make a study schedule and plan to stick to that as long as I can.

Also, just started to get back into netball again but I've currently have an impinged nerve near my ankle which is making it very difficult to do any sort of activity. It's quite a set back and is making me feel a bit discouraged but I know it's not going to last forever and I'll be fit again in no time. If anyone has any good tricks to loosen up my calf and quads that would be must appreciated.

Nothing new has really happened in my life since the last update so if you have any questions or anything that I could talk about hit me up! hahaha

Well thanks for reading and catch ya later :)

How's your study schedule coming along? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

accountingpro

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2018, 05:44:01 pm »
+1

What's your opinion on study schedules? School has always given them to use to fill out, never tried it myself though.

Hannahco

• Trailblazer
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2018, 06:01:01 pm »
I hope your ankle gets better soon! I've heard that netball is brutal for injuries in the legs! ;D

Where do you think your priorities lie for these exams? Any goals or challenges you think are the top of your list? :)

How are your performances coming along? ;D

Hey Jason,
For these exams my main priority is probably maths as it weighs the most (30%). I would really love to get a 90% in general maths which currently seems unrealistic.

My performances are coming along slowly, very slowly. My singing teacher has been away for two weeks so I haven't been able to really drill in techniqual work for my pieces yet. I've been doing performance practice like singing infront of the school and singing at my schools church but yeah haven't really revised my performance pieces in a looooonnnnnnggggg time!

Do you have any tips on what I should be doing in the lead up to my mid year exams? And for the holidays that follow?

Hannahco

• Trailblazer
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2018, 06:02:31 pm »

I'm really struggling to stick to my schedule at the moment, I have no idea why I just really struggle to just get started and stick to the schedule

Hannahco

• Trailblazer
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2018, 06:16:27 pm »
+4
Hey everyone!
There's under a week until my first exam and I am both terrified but can't be bothered at the same time which is kind of scary. English, Religion and I think Music all weigh 10% and Genny Maths weighing a whopping 30%!!!! Maths is definately the exam I'm most worried for as it is by far my weakest subject!

Okay rant time .....
So, the other week we had a listening task on Niccolo Machiavelli's The Prince and you had to link it to Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. It had a 5 marker based directly off of the excerpt you were listening to and then a 15 marker where you had to bring in your knowledge from Julius Caesar to enhance it and rah rah rah. When I went out of the exam I was absolutely guttered with how I went as I didn't think I understood or answered the question correctly. When my teacher was handing them out in class yesterday I was mentally preparing for 70% which is still a good mark but not as good as I would like. She gave mine back, mark down on the table and I slowly lifted it up to see I GOT 95%!!!!! I was honestly shook and didn't think I deserved it.

I'm glad and thankful that I have this little journal thing where I can be proud of myself and just rant because at school lots of people were disapointed with their result so I didn't want to tell them mine cause then they'd feel even worse.

Anyone else have any stories where they thought they bombed out but actually killed it? (or vise versa??)

Thanks guys xxx