Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 01:38:26 pm

Author Topic: Pip motivation  (Read 2167 times)  Share 

jenae.madden

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Pip motivation
« on: January 17, 2018, 03:39:16 pm »
Hey everyone,

Just wondering how to get motivated for the pip, I have my topic 'AN INVESTIGATION INTO THE WAY IN WHICH EXPECTATIONS OF A STUDENT’S ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT IS INFLUENCED BY SOCIOECONOMIC STATUS'; and an introduction but I just cant start it. I have also done a bunch of research and actually did a similar topic for my mini-pip last year. So yeah how did/ is everyone else motivated & do you have a timeline of when things have to be done?

Thanks!!!

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: Pip motivation
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 05:46:29 pm »
Hey everyone,

Just wondering how to get motivated for the pip, I have my topic 'AN INVESTIGATION INTO THE WAY IN WHICH EXPECTATIONS OF A STUDENT’S ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT IS INFLUENCED BY SOCIOECONOMIC STATUS'; and an introduction but I just cant start it. I have also done a bunch of research and actually did a similar topic for my mini-pip last year. So yeah how did/ is everyone else motivated & do you have a timeline of when things have to be done?

Thanks!!!
Hey!
I really like this pip topic (i'd happily complete a survey on this)!
Have you done all of this in a short span? Maybe you need to put it down for a while before coming back to it?
You should try and pace yourself. Unless i was on an absolute role, i would try and pace myself with whatever part needs doing, don't use up all your energy too quickly!
Thats what gets me inspired. I do some work, and then leave it for a while. After a while i think "I haven't done any pip work in a while, maybe i should do abit" By not doing too much at any one stage, i ensure i'm always enthusiastic about doing a little more.

If you feel like you need to do a little bit anyway, try getting up to date with your log and annotated resource list so they're as up to date as they can be

Hope this helps!!  :)
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

jenae.madden

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 06:10:14 pm »
Hey!
I really like this pip topic (i'd happily complete a survey on this)!
Have you done all of this in a short span? Maybe you need to put it down for a while before coming back to it?
You should try and pace yourself. Unless i was on an absolute role, i would try and pace myself with whatever part needs doing, don't use up all your energy too quickly!
Thats what gets me inspired. I do some work, and then leave it for a while. After a while i think "I haven't done any pip work in a while, maybe i should do abit" By not doing too much at any one stage, i ensure i'm always enthusiastic about doing a little more.

If you feel like you need to do a little bit anyway, try getting up to date with your log and annotated resource list so they're as up to date as they can be

Hope this helps!!  :)

Hey thank you for replying! and its actually the opposite, I did the introduction very early and now haven't touched it since...

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 06:15:39 pm »
+1

Hey thank you for replying! and its actually the opposite, I did the introduction very early and now haven't touched it since...
Hmmmmm, perhaps its more the topic then?
If you aren't enjoying your topic, it may lead to a lack of motivation to work on it
I'm not saying you have to completely change your topic, but maybe it'd be best for you to rework it slightly so that you enjoy writing about it more
And don't let your already completed intro hold you back from changing it, your intro will change again before you submit your final work.
I worte a few drafts for different topic before in finally decided on a topic!
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 06:18:15 pm »
+3
Hey there!

First of all, do not panic!! I was literally in the same position as you this time last year. I barely did anything for my PIP during the holidays and didn’t officially start my PIP until March 2017. I was one of the last ones to start but ended up being the first one to finish my PIP (around a week before official submission)

The way I motivated myself was reading secondary information (books, articles, etc.) in order to create my questionnaire: my very first primary research methodology. Once you get your questionnaire going, you’ll finally realise ‘Oh shit. I have to get more shit done’.

The PIP due date is not too long away now (should be due around July, the week when Catholic Trials are on!). So the earlier you start your questionnaire (or any primary research really), the more motivated you will feel. You will also feel a sense of achievement when you complete a part of your PIP.

As for my timeline, the way I did it was to get one chapter done every three to five weeks. Then submit it to my teacher for her to proofread. It is so crucial to submit stuff early to your teacher because they are more likely to give excellent feedback and suggestions because they’re not under pressure to check other people’s drafts. Take advantage of your studies to do your PIP and get the feedback during your assigned PIP lessons! I also made sure I got at least two primary research methods every two to three weeks.

TL;DR > Start your primary research early. Read secondary research. Submit all your drafts. Get one chapter done at least three to five weeks. Term Four (same term as trials) should be the term where you are finishing up your PIP, not writing the first draft of your chapters or your introduction etc. You do not want to be doing your PIP during the weekend before trials.

Good luck!
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 06:24:09 pm »
+1
Hey there!

First of all, do not panic!! I was literally in the same position as you this time last year. I barely did anything for my PIP during the holidays and didn’t officially start my PIP until March 2017. I was one of the last ones to start but ended up being the first one to finish my PIP (around a week before official submission)

The way I motivated myself was reading secondary information (books, articles, etc.) in order to create my questionnaire: my very first primary research methodology. Once you get your questionnaire going, you’ll finally realise ‘Oh shit. I have to get more shit done’.

The PIP due date is not too long away now (should be due around July, the week when Catholic Trials are on!). So the earlier you start your questionnaire (or any primary research really), the more motivated you will feel. You will also feel a sense of achievement when you complete a part of your PIP.

As for my timeline, the way I did it was to get one chapter done every three to five weeks. Then submit it to my teacher for her to proofread. It is so crucial to submit stuff early to your teacher because they are more likely to give excellent feedback and suggestions because they’re not under pressure to check other people’s drafts. Take advantage of your studies to do your PIP and get the feedback during your assigned PIP lessons! I also made sure I got at least two primary research methods every two to three weeks.

TL;DR > Start your primary research early. Read secondary research. Submit all your drafts. Get one chapter done at least three to five weeks. Term Four (same term as trials) should be the term where you are finishing up your PIP, not writing the first draft of your chapters or your introduction etc. You do not want to be doing your PIP during the weekend before trials.

Good luck!
Beatroot is probably your best point of contact regarding this, as she has actually completed her pip (whereas im doing it this year, along with you). But if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask!  :)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 11:55:24 am »
+2

I only just saw this! I would highly recommend doing your introduction last. Your primary and secondary research, resource annotations AND your central material need to come first. When you’re done with them, do your conclusion, log and introduction. What’s the point in doing an introduction this early in time when you’ve got nothing to introduce in the first place? At least when you’ve got your central material, you can really beef up your introduction!
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.