Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 05:49:05 am

Author Topic: Primary Research: How much is too much?  (Read 1144 times)  Share 

jenae.madden

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Primary Research: How much is too much?
« on: March 24, 2018, 12:39:21 pm »
Hello everyone, so, I recently decided to kind of tweak my question, so much so that my introduction mostly applies and my intense secondary research does as well. I had only done my first chapter (dont judge) and I will mostly be able to apply this to my new question. Anyway, I have decided to change my question for primary research sake, so I have chosen a topic (An investigation into contemporary representation of low and high SES students and its influence on a scholars academic achievement) because it will allow me to use the skills markers are looking for.

So I wanted to do 4 primary research methodologies, focus group, interview, case study, and content analysis alongside my already conducted questionnaire and small interviews that are integrated throughout.

Is this too much? It shouldn't take me too long to do but is it excessive. However, I may not even use some methods as when editing they may become less relevant. I just don't know, thoughts?

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Re: Primary Research: How much is too much?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 08:23:05 pm »
+4
Hey there!

First of all, good work on getting your first chapter so early in the year! This time last year, I was still getting responses for my questionnaire ahah so don't worry too much :)

Second of all, there is no such thing as too much primary research. Both my cousin and my friend had to do a minimum of six primary research methods as instructed by their teacher. They found it really helpful having a wide range of primary sources from the research. Even though they didn't use all primary sources, they still added this in their appendix. You will not get marked down just for using a lot of primary research methods. In fact, it will show the markers the time and dedication you've put towards your PIP.

I honestly think that the quantity of your primary research methods is perfect- not too little and not too much. But at the end of the day, it's all about taking as many primary research methods to find your results- do whatever it takes. As long as you manage your time well, you can do as many research methods as much as your heart desires. I did 3 research methods (1 questionnaire, 2 focus groups and 2 interviews) so it felt like I did 5.

As for excessiveness and relevance, just do it anyways. You don't know what you will discover in a research method, as long as you manage your time well :) Just put everything in your appendix afterwards.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 09:17:18 pm »
+1
Hello everyone, so, I recently decided to kind of tweak my question, so much so that my introduction mostly applies and my intense secondary research does as well. I had only done my first chapter (dont judge) and I will mostly be able to apply this to my new question. Anyway, I have decided to change my question for primary research sake, so I have chosen a topic (An investigation into contemporary representation of low and high SES students and its influence on a scholars academic achievement) because it will allow me to use the skills markers are looking for.

So I wanted to do 4 primary research methodologies, focus group, interview, case study, and content analysis alongside my already conducted questionnaire and small interviews that are integrated throughout.

Is this too much? It shouldn't take me too long to do but is it excessive. However, I may not even use some methods as when editing they may become less relevant. I just don't know, thoughts?
Just to add to beatroots answer
Quality over Quantity i reckon. It sounds great that you're doing so many, but make sure you explore them in a reasonable amount of depth. Better to do less methodologies and make them more detailed then lots that are brushed over.
But i agree that if you explore them well, doing more is great!  ;D
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 09:20:22 pm »
+2

Hey there,
Just like everyone is saying, the more the better! More research means you're validating your results.
My teacher suggested at least 5-7 primary methods, but as long as these results are relevant, then it should be fine :)
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW