Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 04, 2024, 05:30:24 am

Author Topic: ADR  (Read 688 times)  Share 

Colokid

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
  • School Grad Year: 2013
ADR
« on: July 18, 2013, 07:28:26 pm »
here is a revision question i have done.

Explain the operation of two dispute resolution methods. (4 marks)

Arbitration is one dispute resolution method, in which an independent third party, an arbitrator, listens to the evidence and arguments presented by both parties, and makes a decision on their behalf. This decision is legally binding.

Conciliation is another dispute resolution method. Conciliation is a process whereby an independent third party attempts to assist the disputing parties in reaching a settlement. Th third party (conciliator) role is to encourage dialogue between the two parties, and suggest solutions after listening to their evidence and arguments. The decision or settlement may be made by the parties, on advice of the conciliator, although the decision is not legally binding.

if someone could read and mark this question out of four, and give comments on things i could have done better, if there is a need for that.
B.Com at Monash Uni [2014]

PM me if you wish to purchase my essential methods text book and 2013 Cambridge Methods Checkpoints (free postage!)

#COYG

Age991

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: ADR
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 08:29:51 am »
+1
Good answer for conciliation, 2/2 there.

However with arbitration I suggest also talking about how it's in a "court like scenario," however is far less formal. I'd also chuck an example of an arbitration organisation such as VCAT to really demonstrate understanding :)

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
Re: ADR
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 01:34:21 pm »
I agree with all this advice - it's really good. Plus, you can say that for conciliation (like mediation) a court or VCAT usually ratifies the agreement, which makes it binding.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!