Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 02:54:04 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1241063 times)

MEL7401

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #1980 on: May 31, 2017, 05:26:46 pm »
Hi!
just wondering if there are any Band 6 creative writing examples on here somewhere...
also i struggle with writing short stories/narratives - would anyone recommend writing a feature article, speech, etc.??

bellerina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1981 on: May 31, 2017, 06:10:28 pm »
Hey Mary! The novella Candide by Voltaire worked really well for me! Teachers (especially the teachers at your school... I wonder how I know that?  ;)) really love philosophical and theoretical integration within Mod C essays, so using a text that was literally written by a philosopher (that is still pretty easy to understand) is always a plus! I also used Ronald Reagan's 'Evil Empire' speech as my back up, and that worked well also!

Hi Susie!
Love your suggestions, but curious if i could use them for Brave New World?

Bellerina
The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #1982 on: May 31, 2017, 06:38:01 pm »
+1
Hi Susie!
Love your suggestions, but curious if i could use them for Brave New World?

Bellerina
Hmm I studied Wag the Dog (best english text ever!) last year not Brave New World, however I'm pretty sure those texts could work with really any Module C text. I mean, of course you'd want to check and make sure, but I feel as though it is more important that a related text links conceptually to the overarching topic "People, Power and Politics" more so than it links explicitly with the prescribed - which both Candide and The Evil Empire Speech do really well. However, like I said, of course you'd want to check and make sure that the themes and issues weren't so wildly different that it was difficult to construct a clear thesis with both.

Do you think any of these themes could be linked to Brave New World? (there are probably heaps more, these were just the ones I discussed most frequently within my essay)
- The role and nature of "truth"
- Construction and manipulation of reality
- Construction, manipulation and commodification of symbols and ideas
- Power through the media/culture and its ability to foster and legitimise a false narrative

I've attached my Wag the Dog essay, if you want to see how I linked these issues to the texts, and potentially how well they would work with your prescribed - I received 20/20 for this assessment task using Candide and The Evil Empire Speech as my related texts.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 06:41:14 pm by sudodds »
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #1983 on: May 31, 2017, 06:57:48 pm »
+1
Hi!
just wondering if there are any Band 6 creative writing examples on here somewhere...
also i struggle with writing short stories/narratives - would anyone recommend writing a feature article, speech, etc.??

I think searching up creative writing in the notes section should bring up a good number of creative pieces. Not sure about writing a feature article/speech. I think you would be better off asking your teacher about that.
Heavy Things :(

marcusgrahamm

• Forum Regular
  • --
« Reply #1984 on: May 31, 2017, 07:23:28 pm »
Sophisticated and challenging ORT that corresponds with the Art Of Travel in MOD C ??

Business Studies-89

Legal Studies-93

Modern History-93

Society And Culture-93

Advanced English-93

Ext 1 Eng- 42

ATAR: 96.95

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1985 on: June 01, 2017, 05:12:08 pm »
how do i use quotations when talking about accumulation as a technique?? like do i just chuck in some of the descriptors or do i have part of the list (which is massive) or do i just say 'in the first stanza'?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1986 on: June 01, 2017, 05:30:44 pm »
+1
Hi!

Hel Mel! Check our Notes section, specifically this speech written by Elyse! ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1987 on: June 01, 2017, 05:31:41 pm »
+1
how do i use quotations when talking about accumulation as a technique?? like do i just chuck in some of the descriptors or do i have part of the list (which is massive) or do i just say 'in the first stanza'?

Maybe try something like:

The use of accumulation to describe the "Big, dark, nasty, awful... cave"

Or something like that?? ;D

bellerina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1988 on: June 01, 2017, 07:01:09 pm »
Hey guys

I have a Module C exam next Monday and it is on BNW + Related.. What is the best way to prep for this? I was thinking of spending tonight and the days leading up to it by doing practise exams because its 40 mins and i have time management issues. But, i also was curious over how to actually remember the core arguments with the evidence.. I was thinking of putting it on a table format so it'll be easier to remember.. What do you lot think? If anyone has any tips for how i should study!! Please pease tell me!!!

Bellerina  :)
The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #1989 on: June 01, 2017, 07:39:07 pm »
+1
Hey guys

I have a Module C exam next Monday and it is on BNW + Related.. What is the best way to prep for this? I was thinking of spending tonight and the days leading up to it by doing practise exams because its 40 mins and i have time management issues. But, i also was curious over how to actually remember the core arguments with the evidence.. I was thinking of putting it on a table format so it'll be easier to remember.. What do you lot think? If anyone has any tips for how i should study!! Please pease tell me!!!

Hey Bellerina :)

I think you've got the right idea! If timing in an exam is an issue for you - then you've got the right idea by trying to work on that before the exam. I used tables for my Module C essay plan to, I think visually organising it (with colours, too) helped me to recall the information in my exam. Also, consider mnemonics! It mightn't work for you but I thought it was really beneficial for some of my essays :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

bellerina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1990 on: June 01, 2017, 07:52:52 pm »
Hey Bellerina :)

I think you've got the right idea! If timing in an exam is an issue for you - then you've got the right idea by trying to work on that before the exam. I used tables for my Module C essay plan to, I think visually organising it (with colours, too) helped me to recall the information in my exam. Also, consider mnemonics! It mightn't work for you but I thought it was really beneficial for some of my essays :)

Am i able to send you the tables just so it kinda makes sense? And i was thinking of doing Brave New World and Martin Luther Kings' Silence is Betrayal.. Would this work?

marcusgrahamm

• Forum Regular
  • --
« Reply #1991 on: June 02, 2017, 04:43:46 pm »
Whats a really challenging Film or Essay ORT that I could corresponding with the main thematic ideas presented within The Tempest??

Ive done two essays on The Handmaiden's Tale and The Heart Of Darkness but would prefer to do a film, but still want it to be challenging so I can effectively show that I can analyse and answer using an exemplar text.
Business Studies-89

Legal Studies-93

Modern History-93

Society And Culture-93

Advanced English-93

Ext 1 Eng- 42

ATAR: 96.95

Wales

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1992 on: June 02, 2017, 05:48:46 pm »
Hey guys

I began preparing for my Yeats essay about a week prior (bit late but hey). I began by formulating a eloquent essay and received multiple forms of feedback about it. You can even see it in the forum here ahah, after that I memorised my quotes. You CAN'T write an english essay without quotes, teachers will murder you ): I think by memorising the quotes you begin to remember what's around it. If worse comes to worse you go in with a sheet of quotes in your mind and you can analyse them on the spot.  I personally never used a table format but I can see how it would be beneficial. I preferred memorising quotes and writing the essay out a few times. Make sure you can write it in about 37 minutes, give yourself 3 minutes in the exam room to compile a eloquent conclusion and make sure you haven't missed out on anything. Having 4 minutes for my conclusion for Yeats made the exam comfortable.

How much can you write in 40 minutes? I found roughly 1000 words to be comfortable for me, it varies though.

bellerina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1993 on: June 02, 2017, 08:24:57 pm »
I began preparing for my Yeats essay about a week prior (bit late but hey). I began by formulating a eloquent essay and received multiple forms of feedback about it. You can even see it in the forum here ahah, after that I memorised my quotes. You CAN'T write an english essay without quotes, teachers will murder you ): I think by memorising the quotes you begin to remember what's around it. If worse comes to worse you go in with a sheet of quotes in your mind and you can analyse them on the spot.  I personally never used a table format but I can see how it would be beneficial. I preferred memorising quotes and writing the essay out a few times. Make sure you can write it in about 37 minutes, give yourself 3 minutes in the exam room to compile a eloquent conclusion and make sure you haven't missed out on anything. Having 4 minutes for my conclusion for Yeats made the exam comfortable.

How much can you write in 40 minutes? I found roughly 1000 words to be comfortable for me, it varies though.

Yeah i gave my practise essays for my teacher to mark and now i am just memorising my quotes and analysis of it. That is a good idea! I can only really write around 800words with normal speed. Unless i write really fast, then its around 900-1000.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 09:32:31 pm by jamonwindeyer »

Wales

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1994 on: June 02, 2017, 09:27:54 pm »

Were you meant to write something Bellerina? It appears as just a quote of what I wrote earlier and nothing else.