Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 16, 2024, 11:25:41 am

Author Topic: VCE General & Further Maths Question Thread!  (Read 762676 times)  Share 

snowisawesome

• Forum Leader
  • lebron james the goat
  • Respect: +20
Re: VCE Further Maths Question Thread!
« Reply #2025 on: December 22, 2017, 06:38:11 pm »
Are further exams before 2016 similar to the current study design?

EdwinaB19

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #2026 on: December 22, 2017, 06:53:04 pm »
They are reasonably similar. You’ll find pre-2016 finance questions don’t quite extensively test the current study design, but there are still plenty of finance related questions in the business-related mathematics and recursion modules of the pre-2016 exams. I found that everything else was still super relevant to the current study design.
2016: Biology [37]

2017: Health & Human Development [45], Psychology [44], Further Mathematics [43], English [39]

2018-2023: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Science @ Monash

snowisawesome

• Forum Leader
  • lebron james the goat
« Reply #2027 on: December 22, 2017, 07:30:39 pm »
They are reasonably similar. You’ll find pre-2016 finance questions don’t quite extensively test the current study design, but there are still plenty of finance related questions in the business-related mathematics and recursion modules of the pre-2016 exams. I found that everything else was still super relevant to the current study design.
Thanks 8)

snowisawesome

• Forum Leader
  • lebron james the goat
« Reply #2028 on: December 29, 2017, 12:33:20 pm »
For the core data analysis part of further, are the core data analysis section of past exams a good way to revise for sacs  after attempting all the past sacs from my school?
Is the core data analysis section from further exam before 2016 similar to the current study design?
Thanks

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #2029 on: December 29, 2017, 01:16:21 pm »
+2
For the core data analysis part of further, are the core data analysis section of past exams a good way to revise for sacs  after attempting all the past sacs from my school?
Is the core data analysis section from further exam before 2016 similar to the current study design?
Thanks
Yes to both your questions. You'll need to find some newer stuff or check out the number patterns and business maths modules for help in the financial recursion modules though, as that's a newer addition in recent years.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

snowisawesome

• Forum Leader
  • lebron james the goat
« Reply #2030 on: December 29, 2017, 03:00:03 pm »
Yes to both your questions. You'll need to find some newer stuff or check out the number patterns and business maths modules for help in the financial recursion modules though, as that's a newer addition in recent years.
Thanks AngelWings

snowisawesome

• Forum Leader
  • lebron james the goat
« Reply #2031 on: January 05, 2018, 04:50:05 pm »
The ages of people surveyed was normally distributed with a mean of 19.5 years and a standard deviation of 2.9 years
Estimate the percentage of people between 19.5 and 25.3
Estimate the percentage of people below 16.6

Does anybody know what formula is needed and how these questions are worked out?

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
« Reply #2032 on: January 05, 2018, 04:57:16 pm »
The ages of people surveyed was normally distributed with a mean of 19.5 years and a standard deviation of 2.9 years

Does anybody know what formula is needed and how these questions are worked out?
I didn't do Further, but I suspect this is an application of the 68-95-99.7% rule for normal distributions. That is, 68% of values will lie 1 SD from the mean, 95% will lie 2 SD from the mean, and 99.7% will lie 3 SD from the mean. The best way to answer this type of question (from my knowledge) is to draw a normal distribution curve, shade the area which you want, and work it out from there :)
VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #2033 on: January 05, 2018, 05:15:04 pm »

I didn't do Further, but I suspect this is an application of the 68-95-99.7% rule for normal distributions. That is, 68% of values will lie 1 SD from the mean, 95% will lie 2 SD from the mean, and 99.7% will lie 3 SD from the mean. The best way to answer this type of question (from my knowledge) is to draw a normal distribution curve, shade the area which you want, and work it out from there :)
VanillaRice has already answered your question, but I'd like to recommend that you copy the image of the normal distribution with the standard deviations and associated percentages straight into your bound reference. This type of question is one that reappears frequently in exams.
VTAC Info Thread

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #2034 on: January 05, 2018, 08:42:39 pm »
Could someone explain standard deviation?

Somehow I made it through general without knowing how to work it out. 😂 I’ve seen a formula but there’s a symbol I don’t know, (it sort of looks like £ but less money-like I think?) I asked but they looked at me funny and said I should know it because we had already done our SAC on it.

Like, what even is standard deviation? Is it something about how different the data is?
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
« Reply #2035 on: January 05, 2018, 08:46:03 pm »
+3
Could someone explain standard deviation?

Somehow I made it through general without knowing how to work it out. 😂 I’ve seen a formula but there’s a symbol I don’t know, (it sort of looks like £ but less money-like I think?) I asked but they looked at me funny and said I should know it because we had already done our SAC on it.

Like, what even is standard deviation? Is it something about how different the data is?
Standard deviation is essentially how spread out a set of data is. By spread out, I mean that on average, how far away are the values from the mean? I guess you could see it as how 'different' each of the values in your data set is different from the mean.

The big 'E' you see in the formula is capital Greek sigma, and basically means you add up something. In this case, you find the differences between every single value in your dataset and the mean, square this difference, and then add them all up.

Hope this helps :)
VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]

Dr. Nick

• Trailblazer
  • Hi everybody!
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2036 on: January 06, 2018, 07:46:39 am »
+1
So I was doing this question, which asks you to convert a two-way-frequency table into a percentage two way frequency table but I noticed that the explanatory variables were in the rows instead of the columns where they usually are placed. So I rearranged the table to place the explanatory variables in the columns and use their totals to get percentages... but then I checked my answer and they didnt do that. I thought that you always use the explanatory totals to get percentages?

The question also then asked to create a percentage segmented bar graph, and they has placed the response variable on the horizontal axis and the explanatory variable on the vertical axis.

Can someone please explain why im wrong? - Ive attched the answers

snowisawesome

• Forum Leader
  • lebron james the goat
« Reply #2037 on: January 06, 2018, 10:21:57 am »
Thanks guys for the help :)
Does anyone know if it's possible to work out deseasonalized figures for a group of data on the CAS?

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #2038 on: January 06, 2018, 11:32:59 am »
+2
Can someone please explain why im wrong? - Ive attched the answers
Hi there,
You're right!
The simple trick to remember where to put the response and explantory variable is just picture a graph. So the response on the y-axis and the explanatory on the x.
So in that case, like you said, the response variable (number of blood donors) should go in the rows, and the explanatory (age group) in the colums.
I don't know why your textbook gives that answer as the two way percentage frequency table...
And the percentage segmented bar chart has faults as well. You're right, the age groups should have separate bar charts, and the colour coding should be "whether or not they were blood donors or not," and obviously their percentages would be on the "percentage frequency" (y-axis)
I've attached two pictures that correctly represent what you should do with the two-way frequency table and percentage segemented.
I think your task would be to double check with your teacher straight away when school starts. But at the moment, you're right!
Does your textbook do this for every single problem?
Feel free to ask me if you want any explanation about the photos (i.e. which variable is 'x' and which one is 'y')
Hope this helps ! :)

2017 : Further Maths [38]
2018 : English [45] ;English Language [43] ; Food Studies [47] ;French [33] ;Legal Studies [39]
VCE ATAR : 98.10
2019 - 2023 : Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts at Monash University

I'm selling a huge electronic copy of  VCE English essays and resources document (with essays that have teacher feedback and marks) for $10. Feel free to PM me for details!

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #2039 on: January 06, 2018, 12:54:22 pm »
Thanks guys for the help :)
Does anyone know if it's possible to work out deseasonalized figures for a group of data on the CAS?
There is, but the way you’d do it would be similar to how you do it on Excel. In all honesty, there won’t be a time you’d be have to do the entire thing in an exam (perhaps one value in the entire table is possible), but there is a chance it’ll be an application SAC (usually this is broken down to parts, so there is some guidance). If anything, it might be faster to do it as a table on paper and use the CAS for its basic calculator functions.
VTAC Info Thread