Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 02:13:53 pm

Author Topic: Year 11- Scholarship Opportunities  (Read 4653 times)

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
Year 11- Scholarship Opportunities
« on: January 13, 2016, 07:17:31 pm »
Hi all,

Out of curiousity, I was just wondering if anyone knows of any academic scholarship that can be applied for in year 11. For example, the Kwong Lee Dow scholarship can be applied for in year 10.

Thanks  :)
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
Re: Year 11- Scholarship Opportunities
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 08:10:35 pm »
+3
You have DEECD scholarships (mainly for financial disadvantage but still has some academic component to it I guess).

I wouldn't say the next few are "academic scholarships" as such but if you're interested in experiences (or anybody else) which have some sort of bursary involved I guess then I can detail below some for you too!

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 08:13:54 pm »
You have DEECD scholarships (mainly for financial disadvantage but still has some academic component to it I guess).

I wouldn't say the next few are "academic scholarships" as such but if you're interested in experiences (or anybody else) which have some sort of bursary involved I guess then I can detail below some for you too!

Thanks, that would be great if you don't mind.

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 08:39:32 pm »
+4
Thanks, that would be great if you don't mind.
Sure thing! :) I myself haven't applied for every single one but I know at least one person who has tried applying or got a place into one of these programs! These are applicable to Year 11 but some may include Year 12 as well!

I'll try to hyperlink some of these later but if you're a science type of person (which from your subjects don't seem to be minus Maths), there's NYSF, Youth ANZAAS and Year 11/12 in 2017, there's the Harry Messel Science School in NSW! Likewise there's also the Millennium Youth Camp (Finland but not sure if running) and the Earthwatch Student Challenge!

If you're interested in Commerce, there's a fully funded residential trip to UBS Headquarters in Sydney (which I personally went on) called the UBS Finance Academyand was really good since I got to learn about the industry (such as IB, Equities Research etc.), network with analysts and connect with them!

If you're interested in Leadership, there's the Trinity Young Leader's Program which offers a stream in Leadership as well as other academic streams such as Arts, Biomedicine etc. however if you're in KLD then you may be able to apply for a bursary for one of the programs since it is pricey but worth it as you meet lots of great people from Victoria and around the world (you'll also be involved if you plan on going to UoM later on)! Likewise you'll also be offered a half bursary to VCESS if you're a Kwonger too for end of the year. There's also a UBS Young Women's Leadership Academy which is similar to the UBS Finance Academy but follows the pathway of Leadership instead!

Hope that helps! And if anybody knows anything else then pop a reply below!

EDIT: I'll just hyperlink it anyway :P

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 08:46:23 pm »
+1
Sure thing! :) I myself haven't applied for every single one but I know at least one person who has tried applying or got a place into one of these programs! These are applicable to Year 11 but some may include Year 12 as well!

I'll try to hyperlink some of these later but if you're a science type of person (which from your subjects don't seem to be minus Maths), there's NYSF, Youth ANZAAS and Year 11/12 in 2017, there's the Harry Messel Science School in NSW! Likewise there's also the Millennium Youth Camp (Finland but not sure if running) and the Earthwatch Student Challenge!

If you're interested in Commerce, there's a fully funded residential trip to UBS Headquarters in Sydney (which I personally went on) called the UBS Finance Academyand was really good since I got to learn about the industry (such as IB, Equities Research etc.), network with analysts and connect with them!

If you're interested in Leadership, there's the Trinity Young Leader's Program which offers a stream in Leadership as well as other academic streams such as Arts, Biomedicine etc. however if you're in KLD then you may be able to apply for a bursary for one of the programs since it is pricey but worth it as you meet lots of great people from Victoria and around the world (you'll also be involved if you plan on going to UoM later on)! Likewise you'll also be offered a half bursary to VCESS if you're a Kwonger too for end of the year. There's also a UBS Young Women's Leadership Academy which is similar to the UBS Finance Academy but follows the pathway of Leadership instead!

Hope that helps! And if anybody knows anything else then pop a reply below!

EDIT: I'll just hyperlink it anyway :P

Greatly appreciated!   :D

maximumliewster

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 11:01:23 pm »
hi, I was just wondering.... for the kwong lee dow scholarship enrolment process, it is said that the application is only available for yr 10 students, so what if im 16 - yr 10 age but in yr 11, and want to apply for this scholarship, would I be applicable of being able to apply for this scholarship or am I too late?
also, because im a year ahead of my year level - 16yrs in yr 11, I am considering re doing yr 11 again, would this help for my current question?   :-[ :-\

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 11:17:41 am »
hi, I was just wondering.... for the kwong lee dow scholarship enrolment process, it is said that the application is only available for yr 10 students, so what if im 16 - yr 10 age but in yr 11, and want to apply for this scholarship, would I be applicable of being able to apply for this scholarship or am I too late?
also, because im a year ahead of my year level - 16yrs in yr 11, I am considering re doing yr 11 again, would this help for my current question?   :-[ :-\
I believe for International students, you can apply for Year 11 entry in KLD (since it's a separate thing if I recall correctly) however not for domestic students and you can only apply as a Year 10 student regardless of age. If you repeat then you'd still be illegible.

As for repeating Year 11 again, I'd say don't worry about it but if you think you can't handle the workload then I think maybe it's better to do Year 12 over two years to spread your workload around which I think is better than doing Year 11 again.

maximumliewster

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 08:55:50 pm »
I believe for International students, you can apply for Year 11 entry in KLD (since it's a separate thing if I recall correctly) however not for domestic students and you can only apply as a Year 10 student regardless of age. If you repeat then you'd still be illegible.

As for repeating Year 11 again, I'd say don't worry about it but if you think you can't handle the workload then I think maybe it's better to do Year 12 over two years to spread your workload around which I think is better than doing Year 11 again.
so.. I can't apply for this even if I redo yr 11 next year? - im in yr 11 currently and (im an international student)
-so yr12 students can redo yr12 again the next year?  ???

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 09:23:07 pm »
so.. I can't apply for this even if I redo yr 11 next year? - im in yr 11 currently and (im an international student)
-so yr12 students can redo yr12 again the next year?  ???
I believe so though I don't know the actual application process for Year 11 entry as an international student though (heard from a friend). And I wouldn't say they do it again the next year but spread their load around so maybe rather than do five 3&4's in Year 12, maybe do two 3&4's for one year and three 3&4's the year after that so essentially Year 12 over two years.

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 09:40:01 pm »
Aus science olympiads.

maximumliewster

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 10:09:26 pm »
I believe so though I don't know the actual application process for Year 11 entry as an international student though (heard from a friend). And I wouldn't say they do it again the next year but spread their load around so maybe rather than do five 3&4's in Year 12, maybe do two 3&4's for one year and three 3&4's the year after that so essentially Year 12 over two years.

oh! I didn't know we could do that. thanks!

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 02:22:08 pm »
http://futurestudents.unimelb.edu.au/info/school-students/kld/eligibility

I think they only take in a KLD intake at year 10 level, irrespective of whether or not you're a domestic or international student. It's based on what year of schooling you're at and not your age.

Honestly, I don't think my KLD cohort has changed all that much at all; unless you count it getting smaller as kids withdrew from the program and stopped attending events. It's an amazing program though. The kids you meet and interact with are scary geniuses and incredibly talented.