Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 23, 2024, 08:13:45 am

Author Topic: Qawwali  (Read 1328 times)  Share 

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
  • Respect: +75
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Qawwali
« on: August 01, 2012, 12:10:54 am »
I'm not fully aware of the demographics of AN, but I'm assuming there to be atleast some people who either know what qawwali is, and hopefully some people who may listen to it off on .

For the ppl wondering wondering what this wonderful techno music is, gtfo, :p nah jk.
qawwalli is a sufi (islamic) music in essence. But, don't be fooled, anyone can listen to it.  (im not muslim for e.g!)
It's hard to explain how its constructed, but basically, its either music dedicated to god or love/romance.
personally, i find the music aspect of it awesome, the lyrics too, but the ability shown is just... mind dazzling.

I dont even understand the lyrics half the time, but the music, oh god... its amazing.

Prominent artists include Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan (NFAK), his nephew Rahat and then there's others who I dont really listen to.. !
for me, its all NFAK.
He was an amazing musician, in fact, regarded as one the best vocalists ever.
Just  one cool thing I find amazing

from 3.37 to 3.54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh94bxER8HI

Lyrics do matter, i usually end up googling the stuff I dont get, but from what I do understand, it too is beautiful poetry and its touching (e.g. in the song allah hoo: "ye zameen jab na ti, ye jahaan jab na ta, chand suraj na te, aasman jab na ta, raaz e haq bhi kissi par ayaab jab na ta, tab na ta kuch yahaan, tab na ta kuch yahaan ,ta magar tu hi tu, allah hu allah hu  - when there was no land, when there was no life, when there was no sun or moon, when there was no sky, when no one knew the truth, there was nothing here, there was nothing here, the only thing that was, was you (god) )

NFAK sung the song linked above, and it is essentially a love song.
"how beautiful god has made you" is translation of title, and theres one line it which sort of loses its beauty in translation, but i love.

"your face o beautiful one, is better than a roses'
your face of beautiful one, is better than a roses'

the intoxication of your eyes
is better than that of alcohols' "

sounds a bit weird in retrospect, but in the language its sung in, its quite exquisite.
for the punjabis, the line im referring to is:
"mukh tera soneya, mukh tera soneya, gulab naalo changa hai.
nasha teri aakh da sharaab naalo changa hai'

anyway

im interested in finding out if anyone else shares the same interest in this music?

Any pakistanis in the house? you would of atleast heard of NFAK!

please respond ppl who know!

i wanna dig out some more songs that are buried deep down somewhere, so please contribute !

for the interested
read up on qawwalli on wiki

some songs go for long long time, like 15 minutes, to 30 minutes, and some go for 5minutes, some for 8, some for 10.
havent heard one that lasts less than 5 minutes yet

anyway my fave atm include: - p.s. youtube them to listen to them. -  NOTE: some versions sound bad, ask me if you wanna listen to
versions i find the best quality and style. - he  changes performance to performance.
NFAK:
dam mast qalandar mast mast
kinna sona tenu rab ne banaya
allah hoo
haq ali maula ali
Akiyan udeek diyan
mera piya ghar
afreen afreen
pooja karoonga teri
rakh baba

PLEASE NO DEBATE/COMMENTS ABOUT RELIGION HERE. ONLY MUSIC. TALK ABOUT LYRICS BEING RELIGOUS BUT NOT RELIGION ITSELF PLEASE.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:21:56 am by Bhootnike »
2011: Biol - 42
2012: Spesh |Methods |Chemistry |English Language| Physics
2014: Physiotherapy
khuda ne jab tujhe banaya hoga, ek suroor uske dil mein aaya hoga, socha hoga kya doonga tohfe mein tujhe.... tab ja ke usne mujhe banaya hoga