Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 07:25:42 pm

Author Topic: JMSS YR10 ASSESSMENT REVIEW  (Read 1149 times)  Share 

psid16

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
JMSS YR10 ASSESSMENT REVIEW
« on: July 13, 2019, 02:46:29 pm »
okay so the test was like this
Maths - it was really easy and you just need to know yr9 stuff, nothing more.
on this years test:
-calculating percentages(5 or 6)
- BODMAS(quite a few of these)
- linear algebra(lots)
- factorising (lots)
-trigonometry(2 or 3)
-linear graphs, parabolas, quadratic graphs(like 7)
- angles( 3 or 4)
- volume, area. (not many)
- worded problems(lots)
- number lines(like 2)
- surds(3 or 4)
-probabiltiy(2 or 3)
-indicies( 2 or 3)
-simultaneous equations (2)

overall maths was very easy for me and a lot of people and you dont need to stress about it, understandable if u do tho.
study yr9 syllabus.

Numerical reasoning
this was 50q in 30mins and was very easy though it had less questions than math i had to guess the last 4 or 5 as time ran out opposed to guessing 5 on math where there were 10 more questions.
this years test included
- VERY simple magic squares*note value of what symbol they ask for(around 10)
- number sequences(around 12)
- worded problems(aroaroud 5 or 6)
- sums using easy algebra (around 5)
- problems regarding ages(3 or 4)
- ratios(a lot of these)

overall was pretty easy and you need to know like nothing pre hand. keep an eye on the time.

Science reasoning:
30q 30mins
on this test i took my time and relaxed, it was the correct difficulty in my opinion, i found it pretty easy/doable.
this years test included:
- a lot of graphs and tables(read the question and graph carefully, dont skim)
- diagrams given, you had to answer questions( try understand it)
-basic science sums such as finding molecular mass and other stuff(they gave examples incase u dont know how to)

this test unlike the other 2 uses more of your brain and thinking capacity,try and understand what you are being asked of and what the graph or table is showing and you can easily knock out 1 or 2 options of the bat.

Prac:
not hard at all.
for the prac all you needed to know was the format, they give you the result,method and apparatus. they had questions you needed to answer in your discussion. dont use words such as "i" or "us", write in the past tense and in 3rd person. dont be like me and forget to write hypothesis :/

Science communications essay:
they gave soo much info on this one and i didn't use some points as i found it somewhat useless or dosent add value. as in the prac they had questions they required you to answer in your body paras.
add your own knowledge to the topic and connect it to real world issues across the world. beware of the time on this.
dont get overwhelmed with all the info they provide, and dont write it all, write what you think is usefull or what u deeply understand.

^^^111^^^

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
Re: JMSS YR10 ASSESSMENT REVIEW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 03:07:01 pm »
okay so the test was like this
Maths - it was really easy and you just need to know yr9 stuff, nothing more.
on this years test:
-calculating percentages(5 or 6)
- BODMAS(quite a few of these)
- linear algebra(lots)
- factorising (lots)
-trigonometry(2 or 3)
-linear graphs, parabolas, quadratic graphs(like 7)
- angles( 3 or 4)
- volume, area. (not many)
- worded problems(lots)
- number lines(like 2)
- surds(3 or 4)
-probabiltiy(2 or 3)
-indicies( 2 or 3)
-simultaneous equations (2)

overall maths was very easy for me and a lot of people and you dont need to stress about it, understandable if u do tho.
study yr9 syllabus.

Numerical reasoning
this was 50q in 30mins and was very easy though it had less questions than math i had to guess the last 4 or 5 as time ran out opposed to guessing 5 on math where there were 10 more questions.
this years test included
- VERY simple magic squares*note value of what symbol they ask for(around 10)
- number sequences(around 12)
- worded problems(aroaroud 5 or 6)
- sums using easy algebra (around 5)
- problems regarding ages(3 or 4)
- ratios(a lot of these)

overall was pretty easy and you need to know like nothing pre hand. keep an eye on the time.

Science reasoning:
30q 30mins
on this test i took my time and relaxed, it was the correct difficulty in my opinion, i found it pretty easy/doable.
this years test included:
- a lot of graphs and tables(read the question and graph carefully, dont skim)
- diagrams given, you had to answer questions( try understand it)
-basic science sums such as finding molecular mass and other stuff(they gave examples incase u dont know how to)

this test unlike the other 2 uses more of your brain and thinking capacity,try and understand what you are being asked of and what the graph or table is showing and you can easily knock out 1 or 2 options of the bat.

Prac:
not hard at all.
for the prac all you needed to know was the format, they give you the result,method and apparatus. they had questions you needed to answer in your discussion. dont use words such as "i" or "us", write in the past tense and in 3rd person. dont be like me and forget to write hypothesis :/

Science communications essay:
they gave soo much info on this one and i didn't use some points as i found it somewhat useless or dosent add value. as in the prac they had questions they required you to answer in your body paras.
add your own knowledge to the topic and connect it to real world issues across the world. beware of the time on this.
dont get overwhelmed with all the info they provide, and dont write it all, write what you think is usefull or what u deeply understand.

I honestly only found numerical reasoning the most challenging. To add on from above (it's a pretty good summary!), people doing the exam next year, if you've struggled with numerical reasoning before, try to increase your speed rather than just content (The consequence of this will mean guessing the last 15 marks - lmao like me  :P). This goes for maths as well. There is really no need to learn beyond year 9 content, except for probably early year 10.

You've probably seen this advice in other forums as well, but for science reasoning, the exam was very much like ICAS Science papers. There are some free ones out there, or ask me if u want papers (i'll give it for free).

SynX

• Trendsetter
  • excelsior to reach for the stars
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 07:13:45 pm »
Can i please have some ICAS science papers? The ones i find online are the paid ones  :P
For me the most challenging are those writing ones, I don’t know the correct format, I just try to includ all the information there.
Upward and outward, no matter the cost.

psid16

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 07:55:04 pm »
For me the most challenging are those writing ones, I don’t know the correct format, I just try to includ all the information there.
i dont know if i did good or not for the writing cause they gave u all the info and all i did was took the useful points and enforced the correct formats, and for the prac legit coppied down, the apparatus and method and all stuff they gave and then answered the questions in my discussion as well as actually "discussing" the result