Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 04, 2024, 03:53:25 pm

Author Topic: ATAR Notes Free English Practice Exams 2016  (Read 19590 times)  Share 

Vishakh7

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Alkira Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: ATAR Notes Free English Practice Exams 2016
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2016, 02:04:53 pm »
Hi
Will you be doing this next year, for the new study guide.
Thanks

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2016, 03:43:35 pm »
+1
Spoiler
To aid job-seekers, Lana Deed writes a post in the forum CareerReady about interview attire. Deed argues the importance of appropriate attire to be worn at an interview. She uses an enthusiastic Is it really enthusiastic?tone which can be seen through the litter of exclamation marksToo vague, "litter" is too colloquial, starting with her title “Dress to Impress!”. Commenters share their opinions on the piece.
Deed ensures that the readers understand he intentions of the post. Be more specific. This is like saying "Deed makes the readers think stuff. You figure out what stuff that is."Her subtitle “Lana Deed’s guide…” is passive, suggesting she is just trying to help rather than instructing job-seekers what to do. Oh? How so?Deed states that the guide is “for all you first-timers”, casually addressing her audience. Casual and passive language seeks to prevent job-seekers from being alienated by her potentially controversial contention. In the cause of Misha Lyndon, who states that “this is an awesome guide”, is instead alienated by interviewers themselvesHow do you know?. He appeals to justice by highlighting how shallow the process is said to be. “can’t they just look beyond that and judge what’s on the inside” he pleads to the “interviewers [who] are so harsh”. Lyndon seeks for employment via too colloquiala fair interview system, and encourages potential interviewers to look on the inside. Sooooo?

Only had the time to do the intro and first BP.

You need to focus more on the effect on the reader and some specificity is needed sometimes. It's a really good effort though and heaaaaaps of potential here. Keep up the great work! :D

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2016, 05:07:01 pm »
+3
And the winner of the best username this year goes to...

“You murdered me, Mommy, and you left me here to take the rap!”
Why does Artie blame himself for his mother’s death in The Complete Maus?

The death of Anja Spiegelman because this prompt was ludicrously specific, this is okay for an opening statement. But if the prompt is just a standard thematic one, bringing up evidence or a plot point this soon should be avoided. Might also be better to reword this to 'In TCM by Art Spiegelman,...' so that you go from the text --> specific point and gradually 'zoom in' is a key emotional I'm admit this is just a pet peeve of mine, but try to avoid this word in favour of a more descriptive one. Every time I see this, a voice in my head just screams WHICH EMOTIONS?? point in the graphic novel The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman. A comic embedded in the graphic novel titled “Prisoner on the Hell Planet” depicts Artie’s recount of the event. Artie shows himself as a prisoner, blaming himself for Anja’s suicide. this is also quite specific - try and leave your intro for an overview of your general ideas.

A quote from Prisoner on the Hell Planet describes Artie’s various emotions he felt, “You murdered me, Mommy, and you left me here to take the rap!”. okay, I like that you're using the quote first and formost, but try and have a more general T.S. like 'Throughout  TCM, Spiegelman showcases Art's tumultuous relationship with his mother.' or something like that. The first part “You murdered me” embodies Artie’s resentment to Anja, saying her actions killed him emotionally. This phrase also shows Artie projecting his guilt of her death onto her, reversing the roles. However, Arties still calls her “Mommy”, a childish term evoking a sense of dependency and connectedness; something Artie still craves from his mother. The final part “you left me here to take the rap!” shows how Artie feels blamed for Anja’s suicide- both blame given by himself and others. this is a good discussion of this quote, but it'd be better placed in a more substantial body paragraph where you link this to a broader idea/thematic concern.

Artie perceives that others blame him for Anja’s suicide. this is also a bit too specific - try to have your topic sentences be more idea-centric, rather than character/evidence-based. A family member is drawn with a thought bubble of “It’s his fault the punk”. this sentence feels a bit out of place; try to link this with what comes before/after it. Although nobody told Artie it was his fault, the blame accusations are not entirely resultant of projection from Artie. Upon finding the comic, Mala tells Artie “It was like how you said” reaffirming Artie’s suspicions of being blamed for Anja’s suicide. If others are blaming Artie, he is likely to feel at fault for her suicide.
Within the comic, Artie illustrates reason to be blamed for the suicide. He draws himself in bed, with his mother anxiously at the door. She queries “Do you still love me?” and Artie, facing away from her replies “Sure ma”, a cruelly cold curt response to a final plea for affection from his mother good point! :). Like in Maus, Artie is brutally honest with his mistakes, even to depict himself as a reason towards Anja’s suicide. Artie blames himself for her death because he has reason to, as shown in the comic. at the ends of your paragraphs, try and zoom out and say something more generally about what Speigelman is saying

However, Anja’s mental health was not consistent even before the Holocaust. see above re: topic sentences The death of Richieu would have cause deep trauma to Anja’s emotional being. Artie knows this, and also feels like he can never compare to Richieu. Artie refers to him as a “ghost brother” and envies him. In Arties eyes, his parents saw the photograph as a perfect child. A picture who “never threw tantrums” and would probably “marry a rich Jewish girl”. The pressure of sibling rivalry with a perfect child gave Artiea deep-rooted guilt of never meeting his parents’ expectations. This guilt carries over to his mother’s suicide. Richieu would never have rejected his mother’s love. most of this paragraph is purely summative, and the sentences don't really link together. Instead, try to structure each of your paragraphs around a particular point (e.g. Art's feelings of guilt affected him throughout his life) and then make sure every sentence and every bit of evidence aid you in reaching that point.

Artie is also shown to have difficulty relating to his parents, mostly through his interactions with Vladek. “I can’t even understand my father, how am I supposed to understand Auchwitz” try to integrate this quote so it fits your sentence Arties complained to Francoise. <-- ?? Artie’s ability to understand his parents is tied to their story. okay, true, but again, your ideas aren't really connecting to one another here When starting Maus, instead of skipping to the war Artie requests “Tell me how you guys met”. Artie wants to know the story of his mother so he can finally understand her, just like how he tries to understand Vladek through his stories. His inability to connect with his mother gives him reason to blame himself for her suicide. Artie’s search for his mother’s memoirs is persistent, showing his drive and importance he holds to them. He continuously pesters his father with questions about them, even tears his bookcase apart much to Mala’s dismay. When Artie finds out Vladek threw the diaries away he only mutters one word, “Murderer”. Arties assigns the blame for Anja’s death to Vladek because he “killed” the stories she left behind. This shows that understanding Anja’s story was paramount for Artie’s guilt for her death. Artie can now never amend his failed connection with Anja. This discussion is a little clearer, but consider zooming out and looking at what Spiegelman is saying overall - your paragraphs become really strong if you can draw some sort of idea-based conclusion here

Artie blames himself for his mother’s death for many reasons. For his whole childhood he couldn’t connect with her or live up to her expectations. Around her suicide, Artie is blamed by others and he accepts this blame and believes he failed at being a caring son. Even when Artie tries absolve his guilt, the remnants of Anja’s story are lost due to Vladek. There's a good use of textual evidence here, but you also need to zoom out occasionally and have some sentences like 'Therefore, Spiegelman showcases the consequences of war and the ways it affected the lives of the characters even after it was over.' That'll strengthen these discussion significantly! :)

HLS's comments regarding your L.A. piece are also spot on - being more specific about WHAT the language features are and HOW the author wants readers to think/feel would make a big difference here :)

Hi
Will you be doing this next year, for the new study guide.
Thanks
Absolutely. Can't let you 2017ers get through next year without incurring my wrath ;D

angrypotato1

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2016, 05:15:00 pm »
And the winner of the best username this year goes to...

hahaha I've used it for everything since 10 year old me came up with it. Thank you very much for the meticulousness, and for the big advice post "Cramming for English in 48 Hours". Just wondering what you think I could get /10 on the exam. Cheers!

YellowTongue

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "With God all things are possible" Mt 19:26
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2016, 09:13:35 pm »
With the language analysis piece in the final exam, what form of writing would you describe it as? Would it be an opinion piece, or a 'website article' or something?

Thanks for your help  :)
"Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labour in vain" Psalm 127:1a

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2016, 09:15:24 pm »
That was a forum post, but you could call it an 'opinion piece/article' without incurring any penalties. The background info will usually tell you all you need to know, in that regard :)

YellowTongue

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "With God all things are possible" Mt 19:26
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2016, 09:20:50 pm »
That was a forum post, but you could call it an 'opinion piece/article' without incurring any penalties. The background info will usually tell you all you need to know, in that regard :)

Okay, thank you  :)
"Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labour in vain" Psalm 127:1a

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2020, 05:25:25 pm »
Is there a terrifyingly hard practise exam for this year as well? :)
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.