Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 04:48:15 am

Author Topic: Need advice for choosing a degree  (Read 931 times)  Share 

ChrisT123456789

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Need advice for choosing a degree
« on: August 12, 2018, 08:27:14 pm »
Hi everyone,
as Uni applications are now open I've been really trying to understand the differences between different unis and whether I will be getting experience and what my job prospects are, etc. I am planning on doing commerce/business and hopefully doing an IT course with it as a double degree. The courses I've had my eyes on for a while now are:
1. Business and IT (Monash)
2. Commerce and Computer Science (Monash)
3. Business (management)  (RMIT)
4. Commerce (Melbourne)

I'm also thinking about Deakin but I havent looked into it yet. I would like to know anyones experiences with these courses and also if you could inform me on the differences in them. I also would like to know whether any of them provides for placements, etc, because a tutor of mine told me experience is more important than anything to get a job, and advised me to look into Deakin, as apparently they focus on giving students experience. I have a rough idea about the first 3 courses from going to the open days, but I'd still like to hear from anyone who knows anything about them or has done the courses themselves to share their experiences behind them, as said before.

In advance, thank you all.

sonnyangel

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +16
Re: Need advice for choosing a degree
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 02:15:50 pm »
+1
Hi Chris T!
I'm studying Commerce and IT at Monash and I'd recommend it. Unless there's a specific reason you want to study business instead of commerce, I'd pick commerce as it's at Clayton so you won't have to constantly switch campuses (business is at Caulfield). Also, commerce offers most majors that business does.
I'm not sure about RMIT and Melbourne but at Monash, theres an Industry-Based Learning program for IT and computer science where you go on work placement for a semester. Not everyone gets to do it as you need to apply but if you're doing reasonably well in uni you should be able to get in.
If you have any questions, feel free to message me. Good luck!
2018: Commerce / Information Technology @ Monash

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 02:17:07 pm »
+2
because a tutor of mine told me experience is more important than anything
In IT/Computer Science, absolutely. Internships, Industry based learning / projects etc. is held higher than simply the prestige of a university in this discipline.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 04:29:57 pm »
+1
Hi everyone,
as Uni applications are now open I've been really trying to understand the differences between different unis and whether I will be getting experience and what my job prospects are, etc. I am planning on doing commerce/business and hopefully doing an IT course with it as a double degree. The courses I've had my eyes on for a while now are:
1. Business and IT (Monash)
2. Commerce and Computer Science (Monash)
3. Business (management)  (RMIT)
4. Commerce (Melbourne)

I'm also thinking about Deakin but I havent looked into it yet. I would like to know anyones experiences with these courses and also if you could inform me on the differences in them. I also would like to know whether any of them provides for placements, etc, because a tutor of mine told me experience is more important than anything to get a job, and advised me to look into Deakin, as apparently they focus on giving students experience. I have a rough idea about the first 3 courses from going to the open days, but I'd still like to hear from anyone who knows anything about them or has done the courses themselves to share their experiences behind them, as said before.

In advance, thank you all.
If you want commerce alone UoM is more prestigious and generally the more sought after uni as there is a lot more networking opportunities.

If you want a double including with IT I would choose commerce/IT unless like sonnyangel has said there is a specific reason you want business over commerce. The main difference between business and commerce is prestige however there are a few more minute but significant differences. A lot of the commerce subjects may be able to give you exemptions to stuff you'd need to do later once you complete your degree for specific disciplines  (e.g. Actuarial exams).