Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 01:57:24 pm

Author Topic: Swinburne vs RMIT for physics  (Read 627 times)  Share 

ndog232

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Swinburne vs RMIT for physics
« on: December 30, 2020, 09:51:52 am »
Hello

I am planning to study physics (Bachelor of Science) in 2021. I got a Atar of 74.7, I did preference Monash and Melbourne first and second, I do qualify for Access Melbourne and the Monash Guarantee but as you can see I missed the lowest Monash guarantee atar by 0.3 (75) and the lowest Access Melbourne Atar by 3.3 (78), so there's still hope by no guarantee there (pun intended). Anyway, I'm not sure whether to preference RMIT or Swinburne higher. Thing is, I really like RMIT's campus, course structure and its easier for me to travel to, but Swinburne I feel does better in the sciences, but I'm not very keen on their campus. I am also considering doing graduate study at the moment and I know Swinburne is doing great physics research. I've met the prerequisites for both uni's. Can anyone give any insight into which uni is better for an aspiring physicist?

Many thanks -ndog

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Swinburne vs RMIT for physics
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 10:42:51 am »
Hey,

You do not need to study undergrad and postgrad at the same place - in fact some people recommend doing postgrad at a different place.

Purely based on what you've said, it looks like you should preference RMIT higher since you'd like it more there.

My brother studied physics at RMIT for a couple of years before transferring so I'll try get him to jump on with an opinion at some point

Edit he says:
- the lecturers are passionate and good at what they do
- unlike what you hear with some other courses with tutors not knowing things, the tutors are highly competent
- be prepared to spend a lot of time on it (like weekly labs, cycling between "subjects" (called courses at RMIT) ) 
- if you have specific questions, ask & he says he'll reply
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 08:20:13 pm by Bri MT »