Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 21, 2024, 11:18:02 am

Author Topic: "Abolish this VCE insanity"  (Read 6711 times)  Share 

methodsboy

"Abolish this VCE insanity"
« on: December 18, 2008, 06:32:05 pm »
hey guys

here's an article with a punch and i'm sure that all of you can pertain to:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24804792-5000117,00.html

so,
what do you think?
should it be revised?
is it conflicting with the lives of youth?

Leave your comments... :)

Moderator edit Changed title to something a little more appropriate.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 06:43:11 pm by jessie0 »

gfb

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
Re: CLICK HERE !!!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 06:37:28 pm »
It should remain as it is. This system actually is pretty good. We should be thankful. It is much harder in European countries !.

xox.happy1.xox

Re: CLICK HERE !!!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 06:40:05 pm »
I'd say that we are definitely better than the number we are issued (unless we get a perfect 99.95). Certain factors need to be taken into consideration for many students throughout the year; especially those who have endured hardship (physical, mental and emotional) throughout the year.

Someone who got a 40 as their ENTER may go on to be as successful as you or I, we need to realise this. Bill Gates was a high school drop-out; and he invented Microsoft!

Throughout the year, some students don't know how hard it is to get an ENTER score of 70 (let alone 90), especially considering which school you go to. An ENTER score of 65 is commendable as you have effectively scored higher than 50% of the state.

I don't mind my ENTER score at all, I know that I can do what I want , and still get somewhere in life, albeit it won't get me into any Law course in Australia (thank goodness for SEAS; which means I can get into law)!

So overall, an ENTER score is not an IQ, nor does it define your level of intellect, it is just a ranking to which you may gain tertiary admission (and sometimes, you can find other ways around it, so generally, you don't need a high ENTER to be successful).

That's my two cents. :)

kurrymuncher

Re: "Abolish this VCE insanity"
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 07:34:08 pm »
I'd say that we are definitely better than the number we are issued (unless we get a perfect 99.95). Certain factors need to be taken into consideration for many students throughout the year; especially those who have endured hardship (physical, mental and emotional) throughout the year.

Someone who got a 40 as their ENTER may go on to be as successful as you or I, we need to realise this. Bill Gates was a high school drop-out; and he invented Microsoft!

Throughout the year, some students don't know how hard it is to get an ENTER score of 70 (let alone 90), especially considering which school you go to. An ENTER score of 65 is commendable as you have effectively scored higher than 50% of the state.

I don't mind my ENTER score at all, I know that I can do what I want , and still get somewhere in life, albeit it won't get me into any Law course in Australia (thank goodness for SEAS; which means I can get into law)!

So overall, an ENTER score is not an IQ, nor does it define your level of intellect, it is just a ranking to which you may gain tertiary admission (and sometimes, you can find other ways around it, so generally, you don't need a high ENTER to be successful).

Did you know Bill Gates had a SAT score of like 1600, which is like equivalent to 99.95. Im not sure if this is true though.

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 07:34:45 pm »

Did you know Bill Gates had a SAT score of like 1600, which is like equivalent to 99.95. Im not sure if this is true though.

But nevertheless, he was a high school drop-out. :P

bridgethuss

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 08:01:14 pm »

So overall, an ENTER score is not an IQ, nor does it define your level of intellect

i agree 100%
2007 -
health and human development (33)

2008 -
literature (34..still confused by that)
english (37)
psychology (35)
biology (28...lolllll)
physical education (31...this was a good surprise!)

aiming for 83+
ENTER - 77.65
have been offered first pref. :)

2009 - year off

2010 - health sciences at deakin (waurn ponds)
:)

kurrymuncher

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 08:03:06 pm »
An ENTER should never be compared to an IQ score.

hard

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 08:26:28 pm »
It should remain as it is. This system actually is pretty good. We should be thankful. It is much harder in European countries !.
that's the issue, it's too easy.

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 08:29:21 pm »

Well, that's what most people think it resembles. And I just want to point out that it isn't... It doesn't even mean anything two months from when you get it, so meh, do the best you can, but don't be disappointed if you do under what you expected, because there are other ways around it.

hard

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 08:31:37 pm »

Well, that's what most people think it resembles. And I just want to point out that it isn't... It doesn't even mean anything two months from when you get it, so meh, do the best you can, but don't be disappointed if you do under what you expected, because there are other ways around it.
an ENTER score resembles how well you can stay up all night, how many people you beat, how many friends you loose, how much social life is sucked out of you and how much life has been lost in the process. shame. 

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 08:41:06 pm »

an ENTER score resembles how well you can stay up all night, how many people you beat, how many friends you loose, how much social life is sucked out of you and how much life has been lost in the process. shame. 

But in the end, it doesn't matter, there are other ways around it! This is what I'm trying to epitomise. Like, I couldn't do law with my ENTER, but I applied for SEAS with my school and was given an offer. The point is, don't feel depressed if you don't achieve your desired ENTER. Go to TAFE, do a minor uni course and transfer, bridging courses... These are ways which don't even involve the ENTER, and you can still achieve your goals and your ambitions. The ENTER isn't everything!

vcestar

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 08:44:59 pm »
First of all i think the australian high school system is awesome. Ofcourse, theres a bit of pressure, but i think its adequate enough such that the adolescents going through it get a good idea of the challenges that they will face in life. I mean ofcourse, its not a piece of cake, which is good, otherwise it would suck cuz when they step out onto the real world because they would literally melt under the stress of real life.

Theres plenty of opportunities for ppl with all sorts of interests, like VET, VCAL and so on..

I have friends in asian countries who literally have no life, they just come home and study and sleep. Atleast we get to have a well balanced life and go out on weekends (maybe not in yr 12)

I think the ENTER system is alright too. Alright in terms of measuring the students academic performance during high school espesically their latter years, a critical time in their lives. But ofcoourse WE ARE MORE THEN OUR ENTERs. But all those dickwads who say that they feel the enter system disadvantages them shud get fucked, i went to a shitty school surrounded by shitbreaks and still got an ENTER of 94 so any1 can do well in VCE if they want to, they just cbf.

anyways thats just my view........

vcestar

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 08:52:08 pm »

I dont get what u mean, the article says it too hard. I think its not too hard nor too easy. You might be smart, and u might find it easy. Dumb ppl find it hard and do crap. But overall it evens out, i think the system is fair and ultimately rewards those who are willing to work hard and have a shred of smartness.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 08:54:00 pm by vcestar »

hard

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 08:57:04 pm »

I dont get what u mean, the article says it too hard. I think its not too hard nor too easy. You might be smart, and u might find it easy. Dumb ppl find it hard and do crap. But overall it evens out, i think the system is fair and ultimately rewards those who are willing to work hard and have a shred of smartness.
that's not my point at all. It doesn't matter if you're smart or dumb, what i'm trying to convey is the general view of the vce system, heck the whole education system in Australia is flawed. European countries and especially arab countries are learning yr 12 stuff in yr 10. My mate went to iraq in year 8 and came back in year 10 (this year) and he knows more than me in nearlly everything.

kurrymuncher

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 08:58:36 pm »
Russia and China are the freakiest. bloody 10 year olds can solve simultaneous equations and other algebra in Russia.