Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 09:51:17 am

Author Topic: bus man case studies  (Read 3436 times)  Share 

chubz90

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
bus man case studies
« on: April 27, 2008, 01:49:07 pm »
hey guys, jsut wondering what case studies (those who did bus man last year) used during the exam. Cause im a little unsure what 'type' of case studies to build up on and which would be really relevent. Also a little confused into how to lead into a case study without getting too off the topic of the question at hand, any examples would be cool :)

elaine

• Business Management Moderator
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
Re: bus man case studies
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 02:04:13 pm »
Personally, I would use the case studies your school gives you. Try to get Australian organisations where possible.

Have a case study for each area of study: Operations Management, Human Resource Management, Social Responsbility etc

For Operations Management, you will need a service and a product organisation, because sometimes they specifically ask for one or another.

For a service organisation, I used Village Cinemas
Product organisation - RipCurl (a really simple and easy one)

For HRM, I used Rebel Sport about its induction program and Holden for it's remuneration packages.

For Social Responsibility, I used The Body Shop and Nike.

Also a little confused into how to lead into a case study without getting too off the topic of the question at hand,

As for 'leading into your case study', I'll put up an example of how I would answer a question:

E.g. "Discuss the elements of an operations system. Include a service firm in your answer"

- Define Operations system
- State that Inputs, Processes, Outputs,
- Define Inputs
- Use Village Cinemas here: inputs include electricity, film etc
- Define Processes
-Use Village Cinemas here
-Define Ouputs
- Use Village Cinemas here

You don't necessarily have to 'lead into' a case study, but you can incorporate it within your answer, like I have shown you.

[♥]

Odette

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 02:20:39 pm »
What she said lol ... you can use just about any example, given you use the correct structure and that it relates back to the question being asked... for examples you could go to www.afrbiz.com.au
Good luck, hope that helps

Remember the formula.. define, explain, example OR define, example,explain... if you can make sure you've done all three then you've answered the question being asked
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 02:35:08 pm by Odette »

chubz90

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 02:47:53 pm »
thanks for the prompt responses.

The thing is we realy havent gone into how to use case studys in a answer properly yet at school. Elaine the examples you gave in relation to the areas of study are very helpful- i can sort of see how its meant to all come along. Ther strcuture thing sort of confused me but i think i sort of got it now- i have just got to remember to keep it all relevent  ;D.

Also thanks for the site link Odette, its a gold mine!  ;)

-I have a SAC for bus man on tues, U3 AOS2 :(   
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 02:51:33 pm by chubz90 »

Odette

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 02:50:36 pm »
Nope lol... try it again :P
Wait, what haven't you been shown? how to use an example of an organisation in your answers? or how to answer questions in relation to a case study?

elaine

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 02:53:06 pm »
what is confusing about the structure?
i'll try clarify :)
[♥]

Odette

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 02:55:13 pm »
Structure is quite simple, its just define, explain, example... if you do that there is no way your answer wont be relevant... unless you confuse something with something else... i.e management roles with skills

chubz90

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 03:02:56 pm »
Odette- Its the whole using an example of an org in our answer that we havent been realy shown yet. But i guess i just have to practice a couple more case studies to get the hang of it. ;)

Elaine- Im more okay with the structure now, i wasnt that off it more about fine tuning. Thats what practise exams are for  :)

But as for the sac that is coming up for me im pretty sure we will simply be given a case study and then work off that.

elaine

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 03:06:09 pm »
Ok cool

And remember, with case study SACS- Identify, Define and Link back to case study (IDL)

Good Luck tomorrow :)
[♥]

Odette

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 03:10:00 pm »
Yeah you will... anyways what you need to do is ask yourself:
1. What is the question asking for?
2. Which organisation relates to this scenario?
You really need to become aware of the activities of businesses in australia, what i would suggest is you choose say 2/3 organisations and create like a profile for them and keep an eye out for their activities throughout the year. Set it up in a table, with the headings like:
Company Name, Company Info, Operations Example, HR Example, Change Management Example.

Hope that helps a little :)  

jsimmo

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 03:10:29 pm »
If you were given a case study on ONE specific organisation for your sac I wouldn't be trying to provide different examples that are outside of that case study.

For example, if you get a case study SAC on RipCurl and one of the question speficially relates to RipCurl about social responsibility, you should only use information provided within that case study and not provide another example of a company that acts in a social responsibile way.

Ask your teacher as to what kind of SAC you will be given. If it is a test then it would be fine to use examples of organisations that you have come up with, but for a case study I think it would be best just to work with the organisation that you were given.  
2008: English , Business Management , IT: Applications , Further Maths , Studio Arts 
2009: Monash University

Odette

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 03:14:20 pm »
It wont be a test, most likely it will be a case study and then questions(i should know i went to the same school) ;) ... so like jayden said if you're given an organisation in the case study, then use it, if not then provide your own example. However if you want to demonstrate a better understanding... you could compare the organisation in the case study to another organisation.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 03:16:11 pm by Odette »

chubz90

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 04:33:22 pm »
hey guys thanks for all your help.

I just had the SAC today and it was very easy. Although it did have multiple choice q's like the teacher said it did not have a single case study only short answer and also the SAC is apparently spanning over two periods instead of one. The thing is the SAC was given to us by a substitute teacher, apparently the real teacher was away.

Anyways our next lesson is on friday, which will be more than enough time to finish off any remaining q's. Also one more thing, the Multiple choice q's were EXACTLY the same as the ones on the cambridge quiz website. I mean come on, talk about a lazy teacher- she just copy and pasted them, LOL.  ;D

Odette

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 04:44:44 pm »
Ahh that's odd, she's changed her methods lolz... and like omg she's become lazy haha. Glad to hear that you thought it was easy :) ;D Good luck on Friday, if you have any last minute questions feel free to post them here or pm me or something ^_^
P.S who do you have for busman? is it still the same teacher?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 04:51:29 pm by Odette »

chubz90

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 05:02:25 pm »
yeah its all good! ;D

umm..as for the busman teacher [am i allowed to say her name on the forums?] Its' Ms.G (blonde hair), i think she also taught u also back in the day.

Why, any tips you can give me about her? LOL How to pull the right strings  :D